2003 Mustang Brake Caliper Help - Replace or Sell? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2015, 12:41 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
Exclamation 2003 Mustang Brake Caliper Help - Replace or Sell?

Hey guys. This is my first post here, and I really need y'alls help. I have a 2003 Mustang Convertible (non-GT), and I took it in for a tire rotation and 100k flush last week. However, when I picked her up from the lot, there was a weird grinding sound around my front left tire. I brought her back, and the mechanic is saying it's a locked caliper issue with the front driver tire, and it's affecting both the brake and the suspension. He says I need a new brake, a new suspension, and a new caliper, and is requesting 3k to fix ($500 more than the car's even worth). I think they screwed something up because she wasn't having any issues before I brought her in for maintenance, but they provided a tire rotation and 100k flush, and now it's grinding anytime I brake or decelerate at less than 30 mph.

I love this car, and I'd rather not part with it, but I want to know if what the mechanic's saying is reasonable, or if I should sell her and move on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks y'all!
kshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 01:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Yeah you're getting screwed. For one a locked up brake will not cause the suspension to go out. Take it to a real mechanic and get an honest opinion on it. Does it pull when braking or when or driving straight? What all was included in this 100k service?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

Region: Virginia
Guessed So

Yeah, my usual mechanic is on vacation so I brought it to this other guy hoping isn't wasn't something major.

It actually doesn't pull at all. In fact, the drivability of the car isn't really impacted other than having to push slightly harder on the brakes. The noise is the biggest issue.

The 100k service involved a system flush, oil change, tire rotation, new fluids (though I guess not brake), and a 21 point inspection.
kshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah there screwing you have you flushed the brake system if not do that first then see if it drags then had a issue with my daughters nitro they said the system was contaminated so the nitro needed the entire brake system replaced I called bs flushed refilled billed the system and all is good now

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Man if they are trying to screw you like that. I'd check all the fluids they said they exchanged. Make sure they really exchanged them. Also that caliper is something you can fix yourself.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Ridiculous shops like this should be shut down.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Something like that might be worth a call/letter to the BBB, cuz that really sounds like a load of bull
Old 06-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Doofenshmirtz View Post
Something like that might be worth a call/letter to the BBB, cuz that really sounds like a load of bull
Exactly well put

Old 06-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
wild. Exact same thing is happening to me hah.
take a look at your rotor on the side that it is grinding! you will notice it is getting destroyed. and although the driveability seems fine and the grinding is the annoyance. if your caliper is stuck all your doing is forcing that tire to spin when driving and burning up your wheelbaring/hub assembly. witch will be noticed during the brake change once the rotor is off.. more $ . and if you wait long enough your wheel may fall off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	184249  
Attached Images

Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

He's correct you shouldn't be driving it in this condition save your wheel bearing if it isn't already bad from the extremely heat

Old 06-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I am still driving mine hah I just try and down shift and not use the brakes unless I need to on my way to work and back home. so not as much grinding haha I replaced the wheel baring with a cheap one in the past so in a week or two I will justify two new wheel barings oem cobra calipers and brackets ss hoses and rotors and pads. going to be expensive so I understand the op's question if he should sell or fix. I say justify the mod
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Damn man buy the parts yourself and pay someone to do them on the side. Pretty much any "weekend mechanic" with a set of basic tools can do brakes.

I'd just get everything from Rockauto. New calipers on both sides, Raybestos rotors, Centric Posi Quiet ceramic pads and then DIY or have a friend do it or wait for your mechanic to come back.

Do not drive it as has been said. Tons of heat building up which could cause all sorts of problems.

And no... $3k? Lolwtf, I would ask him straight to his face if that includes the asslube or if that is going to be tacked onto the price and then walk out the door. Like.... $3k for brakes... you could buy an entire upgraded aftermarket 4 piston race setup installed for that price... Installed...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
2003 mustang