Bama tune question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Bama tune question

What exactly gets changed with the tune my 03 is pure stock except for 40 series flow masters its auto what do they mean by adjustable shift points? And I'll probably be running the 93 race tune.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It's going to shift a lot more firm

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I understand that but it said adjustable shift points does that mean I get to select when the the transmission shifts a certain rpm or does the tune choose when it shifts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty much yes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The tune does that and yes you can customize it yourself. If you know what to look for i say go for it...

If you don't, just leave it to the people that get paid to do it ...

Black 2008 GT "If it ain't hooking, it ain't booking"
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks sounds good also they offer the tuner for 399 or tuner and sr CAI for 459 is the combo a good deal or just stay with the tuner only and retain the stock CAI

Old 06-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Cold air kits are a joke.. The factory air intake is a damn good one.. Most and do notice I said most cold air kits bring in hot engine air, yes they look pretty but the don't really help.. If the kit is one that goes into the fender like are stock one does it could be maybe a little better but I doubt it.. And don't get any SR crap it's Chinese made cheap ****..
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney35 View Post
Cold air kits are a joke.. The factory air intake is a damn good one.. Most and do notice I said most cold air kits bring in hot engine air, yes they look pretty but the don't really help.. If the kit is one that goes into the fender like are stock one does it could be maybe a little better but I doubt it.. And don't get any SR crap it's Chinese made cheap ****..
OK good I'll just get the tuner and a drop in k&n filter and call it a day

Old 06-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Smart man!
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I try to be for the most part

Old 06-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I can't speak for the feel of Bama tunes as I have MPT. But, your car will never feel the same if you change it back to stock. Ford left so much potential with their stock tune. If you select the race setting as the tune you daily drive with you'll absolutely love it. Shift points are generally in the 3 to 3.5k range at light throttle instead of 2k. Mostly throttle position dictates where it will shift. If you're on it it will go all the way to redline before shifting. Thus you'll stay in the powerband much more. Also your timing will be much more controlled and aggressive than stock which can make slightly more power. You're shift firmness with line pressure will also be raised allowing the bands to be applied much more quickly. That in turn saves your bands from premature wear. You will notice a whole new car with a tune. Also since you have an auto just like me, you would be wise to look into the JMod. With the JMod, you open up some restrictive holes in the separator plate allowing the accumulators to fill with fluid much more quickly. This in turn will also make the tranny shift more firm and quickly. It is relatively easy to do and doesn't cost much if you have a basic set of hand tools and various drill bits. If you have those at most you'll spend if done right is for a set of separator plate gaskets.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
I can't speak for the feel of Bama tunes as I have MPT. But, your car will never feel the same if you change it back to stock. Ford left so much potential with their stock tune. If you select the race setting as the tune you daily drive with you'll absolutely love it. Shift points are generally in the 3 to 3.5k range at light throttle instead of 2k. Mostly throttle position dictates where it will shift. If you're on it it will go all the way to redline before shifting. Thus you'll stay in the powerband much more. Also your timing will be much more controlled and aggressive than stock which can make slightly more power. You're shift firmness with line pressure will also be raised allowing the bands to be applied much more quickly. That in turn saves your bands from premature wear. You will notice a whole new car with a tune. Also since you have an auto just like me, you would be wise to look into the JMod. With the JMod, you open up some restrictive holes in the separator plate allowing the accumulators to fill with fluid much more quickly. This in turn will also make the tranny shift more firm and quickly. It is relatively easy to do and doesn't cost much if you have a basic set of hand tools and various drill bits. If you have those at most you'll spend if done right is for a set of separator plate gaskets.

Thanks makes sense as for the jmod I've looked into it just haven't done it yet due to my rotator cuff surgery still healing up but I am going to do the jmod so thanks for the explanation

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

That was the shift point answer I was looking for

Old 06-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hope it heals up quick! This guy on the tube doesn't miss a thing in his how to video. This is the video that gave me the courage to do mine. http://youtu.be/gbIAKfhrdV0

Old 06-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the link

Old 06-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Great info in this post. I also have auto and am considering Bama tune this Summer. I don't want the car to drive too rough as my wife also drives it occasionally. I am going to do the Jmod when I get some time and then some different gears. I have decided against intake as well after reading the various posts.

I'll update when I get mine and let you know how it feels.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhgt View Post
Great info in this post. I also have auto and am considering Bama tune this Summer. I don't want the car to drive too rough as my wife also drives it occasionally. I am going to do the Jmod when I get some time and then some different gears. I have decided against intake as well after reading the various posts.

I'll update when I get mine and let you know how it feels.
Yes this I have a friend who has a 04 auto that he paid for the jmod so I do know the benefits but I will do it myself and agree lots of good info

Old 06-06-2015, 10:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't want it to rough, I'd suggest talking to the tuners and getting it right. My MPT tune is super aggressive and it throws you back each shift. And if I get on it, it lights up the tires each shift. Definitely talk to them.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
If you don't want it to rough, I'd suggest talking to the tuners and getting it right. My MPT tune is super aggressive and it throws you back each shift. And if I get on it, it lights up the tires each shift. Definitely talk to them.

Just what I'm looking for didn't buy a grocery getter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT