Transmission advise for an 02 gt owner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Transmission advise for an 02 gt owner

Hey fellow mustang owners! New to the forum and decided to start off my forum career with I problem that I have been recently faced with.

I recently took my 02 gt into a trans shop to get a 1st and 2nd gear synchro assembly because the originals were busted. I have the tr3650 I believe and after a week of searching the shop said my parts are no longer being produced and Cannot be found. Reluctantly I took my car home in pieces. Now what? I searched the local wreckers and there is no sign of a used tran. Originally wanted to go for a t56 tremec swap but living in Canada it's a little pricy. Just trying to way my options on how to get my car driving and on the road again. If I were to go for a new tremec trans my budget would be around 4500 cad tops. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks for reading !
wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Welcome to the forum!

Your transmission guy certainly must not have tried very hard to find the rebuild kit.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tr3650-transmission

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

He said something like "we could find the synchro gears themselves, but not the assembly to go with it." So he gave it all back. Yeah looks like tons of results. Never considered ebay. Anyone ever have any luck rebuilding from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Don't take your car to that trans shop again, the guy is an idiot. There are certainly parts available for this transmission and they are routinely rebuilt to hold massive power.

Call or message these guys, talk to Stan.

Pro-Force Performance; Specializing in Rebuilt Mustang Manual Transmissions in Atlanta, GA

If you need something closer to Canada

The 3650 Source - Proven, reliable 3650 Transmissions

Talk to Zak.

No need to spend $4500 to get a trans that will hold the power you are looking for, even in Canadian monies. I don't even think the exchange rate is that far off from 1:1 these days...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Look up "The 3650 source"

They are really popular for T45s but branched to 3650s hence the new site with the name. They do some really good work. And you can get really good upgraded rebuilds for pretty good prices if you send in your core.

Edit: looks like Scotty posted the link already. I would look into them. I may send in my tranny to them to get the Outlaw Street package. They are better priced than the ProForce place.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've talked to both Zak and Stan and they are both really knowedgeable. There is also the ebay special. They are now doing core charges but they were not when I got mine. Trans shifted flawlessly at redline and that was me slamming it, not shifting light.

01 04 Mustang 4 6L Tremec TR3650 5SPD Transmission Rebuilt | eBay

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ran the problem over with my mechanic cousin. He insists that converting the car to a t5 would be a lot simpler because parts are available locally and he has done the convert many times. Are there much differences between the t5 and the 3650? Easy conversion?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Your mechanic cousin sounds worse than the first guy...

You need a $600 bellhousing to start plus a $250 bellhousing spacer to get the shifter in the right location. Then a "budget" T-5 rebuilt is $750 and that is going to be dicey even at 300hp. A "built" T-5 is going to run you in the $2500 range. Plus the bell and the spacer. And you'll need a new shifter... and a 28 spline DS yoke...

Just buy a cheap rebuilt one like the ebay one I posted or one from one of the other shops. I'm SURE there is a shop local to you that will rebuild yours as well. You need to call around more because its not exactly a black art rebuilding these things...

Old 06-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
The first guy was actually doing you a favor by sending you away because he obviously was incapable of rebuilding the transmission.
Call around to some legitimate transmission shops in your area. One of them will be more than willing to source you a rebuilt TR3650 and install it in your car.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Literally just had my 01 tranny rebuilt and modded. My overdrive went out so I went ahead and had him give me a nice set up for street and strip.

Robbymyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT