AC valve - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
AC valve

I tried to add a little refrigerant today. Had the car running with fan on high and AC on Max. Hooked up the line and added a little until the gauge said the system was charged. Popped the hose off and refrigerant shot back out. Any ideas what wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dmcgoy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
busted valve core or o ring.

prepare for everyone to tell you that you shouldn't have touched it. But not specifically for that reason. otherwise maybe there was something stuck in there holding the valve core open. its like a tire valve. a little pin gets pushed in and opens the line, allowing you to add refrigerant.

Ive added refrigerant to multiple cars without this happening, so my guess is just bad luck with the core.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
busted valve core or o ring.

prepare for everyone to tell you that you shouldn't have touched it. But not specifically for that reason. otherwise maybe there was something stuck in there holding the valve core open. its like a tire valve. a little pin gets pushed in and opens the line, allowing you to add refrigerant.

Ive added refrigerant to multiple cars without this happening, so my guess is just bad luck with the core.
Interesting. I'm a newb in this area. Do you have some literature that would elaborate on what you're describing?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i dont think ive ever found literature on it. i would just look up tire valves and valve cores, then you have the same idea for the port on the a/c line.

cut away of a valve core.

the low pressure side valve where you add freon.

a tire valve, very similar concept, except with air instead of freon.

an illustration on the high and low pressure sides of the a/c system.

as far as literature goes, idk. over time i just read the labels on the freon, googled it, and read other forums, and formulated my own opinions on it.

To narrow it down, as far as my opinion goes, If it is a newer car or a healthy a/c system, try to avoid adding freon, and especially no leak sealers without a professional oppinion. If it is an older car like mine, and you dont have the money to start replacing parts, and you know you have a leak, then go for some leak sealer, and every so often, check the pressure and top it off to keep it running good. So far i have a leak, and i think its the front seal on the compressor. so for now, i added a sealer, and topped it off, and later, ill look into replacing the seal, if not the whole system, vaccuming it, and replacing the freon.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I don't have the equipment to capture refrigerant or vacuum the system, so I guess I'll have to take it to a shop. Or roll the windows down!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dmcgoy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
i dont think ive ever found literature on it. i would just look up tire valves and valve cores, then you have the same idea for the port on the a/c line.

cut away of a valve core.

the low pressure side valve where you add freon.

a tire valve, very similar concept, except with air instead of freon.

an illustration on the high and low pressure sides of the a/c system.

as far as literature goes, idk. over time i just read the labels on the freon, googled it, and read other forums, and formulated my own opinions on it.

To narrow it down, as far as my opinion goes, If it is a newer car or a healthy a/c system, try to avoid adding freon, and especially no leak sealers without a professional oppinion. If it is an older car like mine, and you dont have the money to start replacing parts, and you know you have a leak, then go for some leak sealer, and every so often, check the pressure and top it off to keep it running good. So far i have a leak, and i think its the front seal on the compressor. so for now, i added a sealer, and topped it off, and later, ill look into replacing the seal, if not the whole system, vaccuming it, and replacing the freon.
Thanks man. Makes sense.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If all your refrigerant leaked out, take the car to a shop. You are going to have them put a vacuum on the system anyway before putting new R134 into it and they can replace the valve too while they are at it.

If it didn't all leak out then you can stick a screwdriver in there a bunch of times to try to re-seat it and see if that works and then try to fill it again.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT