Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Project Pony 2.0 build thread

18K views 368 replies 15 participants last post by  Project Pony 
#1 · (Edited)
I guess it's about that time. For those that followed my build on my 03 3.8. I'm starting round 2. This time with a soft top and a V8.

This time around I picked up a 2004 GT convertible. Interior was great and not a dent or ding in the body. Best of all it was very well maintained. Engine runs strong, and smooth as butter. But it can get better. Over the next several months I'm going to turn this into MY mustang.

So far I pulled off the bug deflector and stipes off the hood, scoop and trunk. Installed the Mach 1 grille delete kit and Mach 1 chin spoiler. New headlights should be here in the next day or two. Next step will be the O/R mac prochamber, and SLP Loudmouth exhaust. From there I'll get into the good stuff. Suspension and power!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks really clean. Looking forward to your build progress. Wish i had the time and money to one myself! I have done quite a bit to my car over the years but its been pretty spread out. Good to see you getting it the way you want it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#3 ·
Looks good man! Stick or auto? If stick I'd immediately drain the trans fluid and re-fill with 3.2 quarts of synchromesh. They were overfilled from the factory and the manual says 3.8 which is not correct anymore.

#5 ·
Afiak it's just the 04 down. I dont even I ow what the factory fill is on the 05+ or if there are any tsbs on it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#7 ·
#8 ·
New lights came in while I was at work so I just put em in.
First pic is one of the new housings on the left, and the faded old one on the right.

It's an automatic. Last one was a 5 speed. But my knees can handle the clutch without agonizing pain, so figured it would be OK at buy just one auto.

Attachments

#11 ·
I'm gonna track down the few pictures from when I bought it. Horrible bug deflector, awful stripes, honeycomb grille and the faded headlight. These small few items I've installed have transformed they way the front end looks.

#15 ·
#13 ·
Its actually good you got the auto in 04. The 04 GT/Mach automatics were the only year to get the upgraded 4R75w instead of the 4R70w. You basically have a "built" trans from the factory.

J-Mod and a good converter should be high on your list of things to do along with a tune to wake it the hell up.

#16 ·
The tranny is definitely getting some work. Everything is going to get replaced and built.

Unless you are going over 600-700hp you don't need to. The stock trans takes that in factory form on the 04 auto. That was what I was saying. Converter needs done yeah but the trans itself... if you are that worried about it do a 26 spline stub shaft and call it good but you probably don't even need to do that.

#17 ·
The tranny is just getting rebuilt. While doing that I'll have the shift kit and convertor installed. The motor will be built. The wife's not gonna like when the garage has an engine stand and motor taking up half of the garage. She's already not happy my motorcycles take up the other half...

So finally got my build sheet finished. It's going to cost me more than I spent on the car. The last one did too, but I'm not doing this to make money. Just getting her to the point when I can really smile when I say "yep, that's my Mustang.

I also plan on taking it to the House of Hook in Jackson soon. I want to get several passes stock to get some baseline times. Then I'll do it again once it is finished and see how much time I could shave off.

#19 ·
What kind of converter are you going with?

#20 ·
Don't know yet, didn't see any that sparked my interest on AM or summit, but I haven't put serious effort into looking yet. First time doing an auto so I need to see what everyone uses and what's going to work for me. I've got up to 1k allotted for the convertor. I'm sure that'll cover any that I choose to go with.

#22 ·
Dont get a converter from AM or Summit... Circle D, DirtyDog, PI. Freakshow makes a real good one for a budget too.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#24 ·
Talk to Grabber about converters. Those are all good quality places that I listed. The PI Stallion is probably one of the best. Circle D makes very popular ones too.

#25 ·
Then I'll start with looking at stallion. I have some time to find one. Suspension and brakes are getting done first. That's probably the most extensive part of the build, there is so much getting replaced. Stock leaves a whole lot to be desired...

#26 ·
#27 ·
Been busy lately so I figured I'd post an update. Getting ready to order the Slp Loudmouth catback. On a side note. We are getting a second mustang. A 2005 4.0, white as well. That one will get the autocross build, and wait for it....procharged!

#28 ·
So much for that idea. It was listed as only having 17k miles. He must have forgot the 1. 117k. Super low miles and cheap I'm good with. But I won't by a V6 with that many miles. Gonna keep looking. Need to get one for the wife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.