Exhaust bolts keep loosening - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
robin_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 267
Exhaust bolts keep loosening

Hey guys,

So the bolts that connect my midpipe to headers and midpipe to cat back keep loosening and are causing exhaust leaks. For example i tightened all the bolts and the car drove fine for about 2 heat cycles, then the leaks started. Now are there any tricks to keep those nuts from backing off it gets really annoying.

I also did 3 runs at the strip yesterday and i was kind of disappointed. I ran 14.3-14.5 @95-97 mph, and i have longtube headers, o/r x pipe and headers, 4.10 gears, 315 sumitomo tires, frpp intake manifold and bama race tune, its a 5 speed. Does that seem kinda slow for those mods? Let me know!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
I would try some loc tight and then it those don't work maybe look into those expensive locking bolts
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Stage 8 locking fasteners work awesome. I'd just go that route. I had them on my 69 mustang and they never leaked.


IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
robin_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I would try some loc tight and then it those don't work maybe look into those expensive locking bolts
doesnt loctite break down at heat?
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
robin_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Stage 8 locking fasteners work awesome. I'd just go that route. I had them on my 69 mustang and they never leaked.


IG @Oxford5pointoh
i dont know if were on same page here lol, im talking about the studs that connect the midpipe to longtube header and cat back not the manifold bolts that bolt up to the engine, i used the stage 8 bolts when i installed the l/t headers and they are not leaking, the midpipe is. but the nuts that sit on the studs keep backing off.
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
robin_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 267
maybe i could tap the threads nearest to the nut when i tightened everything down with a flathead screwdriver and hammer i think that would prevent them from backing out
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slater2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
You're way over thinking this. If you have enough thread on the bolts you can always add one more nut on each bolt. Tighten the new nut to the old nut and you're set. Jamb nut it.


Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
robin_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
You're way over thinking this. If you have enough thread on the bolts you can always add one more nut on each bolt. Tighten the new nut to the old nut and you're set. Jamb nut it.


Sent from the mothership.
lol thats a good idea imma pick up some bolts later thanks for the idea
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slater2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
No problem


Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_gt View Post
i dont know if were on same page here lol, im talking about the studs that connect the midpipe to longtube header and cat back not the manifold bolts that bolt up to the engine, i used the stage 8 bolts when i installed the l/t headers and they are not leaking, the midpipe is. but the nuts that sit on the studs keep backing off.

My bad. Yeah I was honking header bolts. The jamb but is the way to go as mentioned.


IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_gt View Post
Hey guys,

So the bolts that connect my midpipe to headers and midpipe to cat back keep loosening and are causing exhaust leaks. For example i tightened all the bolts and the car drove fine for about 2 heat cycles, then the leaks started. Now are there any tricks to keep those nuts from backing off it gets really annoying.

I also did 3 runs at the strip yesterday and i was kind of disappointed. I ran 14.3-14.5 @95-97 mph, and i have longtube headers, o/r x pipe and headers, 4.10 gears, 315 sumitomo tires, frpp intake manifold and bama race tune, its a 5 speed. Does that seem kinda slow for those mods? Let me know!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
They got you squared away on the exhaust. As far as your track times though, what altitude are you racing at? Do you happen to know any of the weather stats from that night in order to calculate density altitude?

My local track is right around 5280' with a density altitude usually somewhere in the 7000s, so we run much slower times than the guys at sea level. My old GT would run l low 15s all night and that was considered quick for a bolt on new edge.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
robin_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
They got you squared away on the exhaust. As far as your track times though, what altitude are you racing at? Do you happen to know any of the weather stats from that night in order to calculate density altitude?

My local track is right around 5280' with a density altitude usually somewhere in the 7000s, so we run much slower times than the guys at sea level. My old GT would run l low 15s all night and that was considered quick for a bolt on new edge.
im in south florida so im right at sea level it was about 88 degrees with 70% humidity, i got wheelspin at launch so i had to let off the gas to correct it, i launched @2500 rpms.
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jbone007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Oceanside
Region: California
Posts: 435
Just from what I have read a stock GT should run around the same times you are posting. If you are spinning to much on launch that is what is killing your times, May look into some suspension mods for better traction, and some Drag Radial.
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,417
A stock GT should run about 14 seconds flat in ideal atmospheric conditions.
You had a higher than sea level density altitude that you need to correct your times for.
And if you had a disappointing 60', your ET is going to reflect that.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starter bolts keep loosening on my 86 Mustang GT. What's up with this? jdb68 1979-1995 Mustang GT 2 03-11-2015 04:28 PM
Seat belt loosening Johnstars79 2005-2010 Mustang GT 2 12-19-2012 05:08 PM
bolts bolts bolts! bcosta56 1979-1995 Mustang GT 8 10-10-2012 04:08 PM
Stage 8 bolts, but no bracket bolts? CreationNation 1979-1995 Mustang GT 1 04-13-2009 11:00 AM
To keep or not to keep JaketheSnake Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 1 10-13-2006 12:56 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:56 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.