Another sn95 high rpm pinging - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Another sn95 high rpm pinging

Well hello to you all, I'm having an issue with my 4.6 which is rare to the most part. I got a 03 GT with little mods; MAC CAI, SR plenum&70mm throttle, Steeda underdrive pulleys, Bassani x pipe/tips - SCT x3/sf3 tuner.

My problem is that about a week ago, at only a High RPM 1-2 and 2-3 right about when it's switching gears, it pings and it's never done that before. I've read lots on this forum and cross mustang forums about the issue and resulted in "trying" some remedies I seen so far. Today I changed out my plugs, cleaned my MAF and didn't get around to the fuel filter part (yes it does need to be changed) but i'm going to do that later this week when I have the time. It's not a DD, it hardly gets miles only mostly weekend driving. I did open a ticket with bama and sadly I have to wait till monday to get a response but maybe some of you might have more insight than I already have looked for? I appreciate any response, thank you

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
stealthrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Did you fill up your gas tank recently?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Last time I filled up was a week and some ago. I did think about that but I won't know for sure until I use all this gas up (1/4 left) I forgot to mention that I did return it to stock to see if it did the same and it didn't ping, only with performance 93 and race 93 tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Could be a timing issue with the tune you have. Are you using the tunes that came with the tuner. I saw you mention bama. But I don't know what an open ticket means refers to with them. Are you having a tune looked at? Or written for you?

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I've had my sct tuner for about 2 years now and never had a problem. Just recently had them updated when I installed my plenum/tb and that was about a month ago. I bought the sct x3 off of American Muscle but no it wasn't recent, just about 2 years now. I opened a ticket with bama about this pinging issue, that's what I meant. It's getting frustrating so being that the tuner is causing it, I thought they might help before I decide to go dyno and tune it if nothing can be done which I don't wanna do. There was 3 tunes that came with the tuner. It was written for my vehicle and mods I have

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 07-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I agree with Slater, sounds like timing. If you have a scanner you should be able to back the timing out one degree at a time to see if it goes away.
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

if you're planning on getting a dyno tune, then screw bama, go get the dyno tune
Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
I agree with Slater, sounds like timing. If you have a scanner you should be able to back the timing out one degree at a time to see if it goes away.

I'm going to try doing that. I never really messed with the tuner other than loading tunes in it.

I want to see if it's something they can correct before I really go ahead and dyno tune it. I spent close to $400 so I don't want it to be a waste

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 07-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthrz View Post
I'm going to try doing that. I never really messed with the tuner other than loading tunes in it.

I want to see if it's something they can correct before I really go ahead and dyno tune it. I spent close to $400 so I don't want it to be a waste

Dyno tune will make you happy.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Unless you really know what you're doing, I wouldn't. It's a great way to burn a hole in your piston.

I'd leave it to bama or your dyno tuner.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Eh well I checked if I could mess with anything with "timing" and there was nothing, just a variety of different options I don't want to touch. I guess I have to wait till tomorrow and hopefully have someone respond quick enough.

Quick Q thou, If I went to a dyno and they had to setup the tune and all, would they do it off their own chip or the sct I have?

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 07-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthrz View Post
Eh well I checked if I could mess with anything with "timing" and there was nothing, just a variety of different options I don't want to touch. I guess I have to wait till tomorrow and hopefully have someone respond quick enough.

Quick Q thou, If I went to a dyno and they had to setup the tune and all, would they do it off their own chip or the sct I have?

Your sct. Vmp used my sct to upload tunes. But if you don't have a handheld I think they'll use their own

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yea they will load their own tunes onto your SCT hand held.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ah okay. Well I appreciate the help and insights fellas! Hopefully I can get answers from bama and a solution to the fix if not then I'ma have to schedule a trip to JPC

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 07-05-2015, 11:29 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
What tune are you running? If you are running a 93 octane tune you may have gone to a station putting 87 in all their tanks. Or got a bad batch of gas. Or since you are running a bama tune which is canned it could have been on the edge before and something changed over time a little in your motor causing it to act up now.

Send it back to bama and they are just going to guess at it and maybe richen it up or something and send it back. My recommendation, get a wideband and get someone who will actually pull logs and burn an actual tune to your car to tune it.

Running a tune without a wideband is never a good idea btw. They send you a bad tune where your AF goes to **** and how would you know besides the car acting up like this? Widebands are $130 on Amazon these days for a good USA made one and they come with a bung which is $20 for any shop to weld in. No excuse not to run one really...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
All gas is basically same octane from the truck then they add the juice to increase it. The station u filled up at is scamming people like scotty said. Load your 87 tune till u can fill up at a reputable station. There is a number on the pump to report them btw. Fines are by the gallon and at 4000 gallons per pop its a lesson they wont forget

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-06-2015, 01:23 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
What tune are you running? If you are running a 93 octane tune you may have gone to a station putting 87 in all their tanks. Or got a bad batch of gas. Or since you are running a bama tune which is canned it could have been on the edge before and something changed over time a little in your motor causing it to act up now.

Send it back to bama and they are just going to guess at it and maybe richen it up or something and send it back. My recommendation, get a wideband and get someone who will actually pull logs and burn an actual tune to your car to tune it.

Running a tune without a wideband is never a good idea btw. They send you a bad tune where your AF goes to **** and how would you know besides the car acting up like this? Widebands are $130 on Amazon these days for a good USA made one and they come with a bung which is $20 for any shop to weld in. No excuse not to run one really...

I run 93 on all my tunes. Race, performance and street are all 93. I need to fill up which I was just trying to take a cruise around town to burn up all the gas inside the tank (on stock ecu) Tomorrow when I get home from work, I'm going to fill up at sonoco and just hope it maybe was a gas issue, maybe run some seafoam also to be safe. The station I always filled up at was bj's wholesale, kinda like a sam's club gas station type of place. Always got my gas there and never really had problems. There's only 2 buttons you can choose (87 and 93) and I was very sure that 93 was going in but it makes sense that maybe it was a bad batch of gas. I take all account that everything and anything is a possibility and considering to find the best possible solution to have my car running the way it's supposed to. I'm def going to look into getting a wideband. I heard of it once before but never really considered it in my head to be a necessity. Like I said, if bama is reasonable with their answers then I will roll with it but if i'm just getting the loop and things get worse which I hope it doesn't, I'm just going to schedule a dyno tune at jpc or any dyno place with reputable work in maryland. Thanks for the 2 cents!

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 07-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The wholesalers are usually pretty good, I never had a problem with Costco (we have BJ's around here too but Costco is better x10000) when I used to fill up there but it could always have been a bad batch of gas.

I stand my my recommendation to get a wideband on there if you are tuned running 93/performance tunes. Fuel pressure/oil pressure/water temp are other ones I highly recommend for any Mustang.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The wholesalers are usually pretty good, I never had a problem with Costco (we have BJ's around here too but Costco is better x10000) when I used to fill up there but it could always have been a bad batch of gas.

I stand my my recommendation to get a wideband on there if you are tuned running 93/performance tunes. Fuel pressure/oil pressure/water temp are other ones I highly recommend for any Mustang.

Yeah I always got it from bj's and never had problems so i'ma just fill up after work at sonoco and pour some lucas or seafoam in it as a precaution. I'm also looking into the widebands so any recommendations would be appreciated also. thanks!

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 07-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Filled up yesterday, Couldn't test drive it due to rain but tonight I test drove it 18 miles. When I filled up, I tossed a bottle of seafoam in also. I drove a bit then got a little heavy footed a couple times and surprise!! I still heard the pinging. /sigh Always WOT and high rpm. I couldn't be more annoyed and bama really hasn't gotten back to me with the request I put in sunday. I should know better since it's only tuesday and of course I assume that people request so much out of them but I guess I have to call them tomorrow.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT