Full Bolt Ons - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
"Bolt ons" means anything you can run without getting into the internals of the engine pretty much. Exhaust parts, gears, intake tubes, pullies, that sort of thing.

Nowadays though with newer cars the factory does such a good job with all that stuff that all you need is a tune/gears/exhaust. A Coyote or even a Cyclone Mustang for example. Tune, exhaust, maybe gears depending on what you have and that's really it as far as power.

Suspension is often overlooked like a mofo too. Witness the dozens of Whipple'd GT500 owners that can't even run a 10 because they are on mostly stock suspension but oh man they have that 700rwhp dyno slip...

For a 2V the common "bolt ons" would be:

-Gears
-Plenum/TB
-Shifter or J-mod
-Mid pipe/catback
-Tuner

Then do suspension. Lower the car, CC plates, lower control arms, nice set of wheels/tires, subframe connectors too are pretty much mandatory.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
"Bolt ons" means anything you can run without getting into the internals of the engine pretty much. Exhaust parts, gears, intake tubes, pullies, that sort of thing.

Nowadays though with newer cars the factory does such a good job with all that stuff that all you need is a tune/gears/exhaust. A Coyote or even a Cyclone Mustang for example. Tune, exhaust, maybe gears depending on what you have and that's really it as far as power.

Suspension is often overlooked like a mofo too. Witness the dozens of Whipple'd GT500 owners that can't even run a 10 because they are on mostly stock suspension but oh man they have that 700rwhp dyno slip...
I have a tough time hooking on hard launches and I dont even have much power lol
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I have a tough time hooking on hard launches and I dont even have much power lol
What is your suspension setup like? You have a S197 so its way easier for you with the stock 3 link and PHB. I'm going to have to convert this 2000 to an IRS or a full MM setup for a LOT more $$$ than you 05+ guys have to spend...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

As far as I know it is fully stock.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well that would explain it... get you some BMR parts and "moar low" and some wheels/tires that don't suck and punch it.

And to keep it in the spirit of this thread, this is the sort of thing that people wanting "full bolt ons" often forget. You can have plenty of power but if you can't put it to the ground effectively...

Old 07-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

I have been lazy on suspension. Mostly due to a 100 percent ignorance when it comes to the topic lol. Roads where I live are complete crap. Does the ride quality really suffer that bad?
Old 07-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not if done right and not if you don't go too low. "Full bolt on" suspension for the 3V is an adjustable BMR UCA, BMR LCAs, BMR adjustable PHB or a Watt's link, CC plates, lowering springs/shocks/struts/gears/tires. And replace the stock front control arms with the GT500 versions.

For the 04-down cars... the stock rear GT/Mach/early Cobra setup is what is called a "triangulated 4 link" and it sucks crank. The Cobra IRS is good for handling and can be made good for launches with a $800 kit but it is a heavy beast.

04-down cars can also upgrade to a 3 link like the 05+ cars have via a Torque Arm/Panhard bar setup or the Grigg's Watts link with a torque arm which is another very viable option albeit, a little more... involved.

There is ALSO the Steeda 5 link that I am not very familiar with. They claim it works great but I have no experience firsthand or interwebz info recycling-hand with that...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT