New suspension !! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
New suspension !!

Ok guys I've now made my mind and want to completely re-do the suspension on the mustang . I just put brand new shocks and struts but other than that where should I start ? There is aftermarket suspension parts on there such as steeda but I think it's time for everything to be replaced .. Also I want to get a new rack and pinion or rebuild the current one (if you have any experience with that much would be appreciated ) so where would be a good place to start ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Tubular K member
Subframe connectors
Panhard bar
Control arms
A arms
Lower it
Torque arms

start with that and not necessarily in that order

Max motor sports is the best brand I would say, stay away from cheap stuff.
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Don't forget the Springs.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 12:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Pick your package below............this is great, first class stuff, and comes as a complete package so that you are not mixing different brands and end up making your car handle (perhaps) worse.

Packages
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you have the cash up front those are some good kits ^.

This is the order i did my suspension in:

1. MM Subframe connectors
2. MM Rear lower control arms.
3. MM Panhard Bar
4. MM Torque Arm
5. MM Coilovers using Koni Yellows

Upcoming next:
6. Fully Torqued Racing Watts Link (to replace the Panhard Bar)

7. Griggs Racing K member

8. Griggs Racing A Arms

9. MM Adjustable rear sway bar

Mixing brands is perfectly fine as long as they work together and the other brand is actually reputable. I went Maximum Motorsports for just about everything. But the New FTR Watts Link has just been released and has already proven itself to be the best on the market. As for the K member and A arms. I chose Griggs Racing because they make a Short-Long-Arm kit (superior for road racing), and their K member and A arms are a piece of it which work with both the MacPherson strut set up as well as the SLA kit, where MM is only designed for the MacPherson strut set up. So with their K and A arms i can eventually upgrade to the SLA set up. And then there is the MM adjustable rear sway bar, which is proven to work with together with the FTR Watts Link.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its not too much $$$ to make the car handle ok but once you start really getting to want it to handle like a "sports car", prepare to spend $5-$7k on it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm mostly looking to just replace everything to make it a smooth comfortable ride but also that stiff and sticking to the ground feel ... MM is a good brand I'm guessing ? And would new springs and controll arms ball joints be the way to start or just buy a kit ? If so what kit would yall recommend to start out with . I have the money just want to get the right stuff

Old 07-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Personally I would go with H&R Super Sport springs, a quality set of shocks (I like Bilstein), Steeda bumpsteer kit, Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates, subframe connectors, and aftermarket rear lower control arms if I was gonna do a budget drop new edge. If you wanna replace the front lower control arms I'd probably go Maximum Motorsports but honestly unless you're looking for maximum weight savings then I wouldn't bother changing out the stock ones and would rather just replace the bushings.
If you want a car that does great in the corners but rides pretty harsh then I would look into the H&R Race springs instead of the Super Sports. I personally think the SS rides too soft, but I was looking more for a track spring instead of a street friendly spring.

My old GT was initially dropped on H&R Race springs before I did and IRS swap and inherited some cut Cobra stock springs.

Why do you want a new steering rack? From what I've seen the reman units from auto parts stores and most online stores tend to go bad in about a year. If I had to replace it I would go with a brand new Ford unit but I know those get expensive.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I beleave I have aftermarket front and back arms when I bought the car the owner mentioned he did some stuff to suspension but was some time previous so that can mean anytime ? But I rather just start new and because I beleave my rack an pinion is going bad I thought AM has one for 399.99? What do you think about that?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsstang View Post
I'm mostly looking to just replace everything to make it a smooth comfortable ride but also that stiff and sticking to the ground feel ... MM is a good brand I'm guessing ? And would new springs and controll arms ball joints be the way to start or just buy a kit ? If so what kit would yall recommend to start out with . I have the money just want to get the right stuff

What I had on my 98 that actually did pretty good at maintaining a stock comfort but lowered the car and allowed me to get a pretty good sticking launch:

-Steeda Lower Control arms (MM is better but they came with the car)
-MM Caster Camber plates
-Tokico Illumina shocks/struts all around
-BBK springs all around

I was going to put on Subframes last spring but I sold the car last fall... Recommend Steedas for regular ones or if you need max ground clearance get Spintechs.

At this point you have really done all you can with the stock 4 link setup. Yeah you can go coilovers or an aftermarket K or whatever... Coilovers are only really needed if you want the adjustability and the aftermarket K, I would not worry about that until the rear was swapped to a 3 link or an IRS.

The setup I posted is cheap, it works and its easy to install.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Look at stuff from upr products my buddy swears by their products

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sonic View Post
Look at stuff from upr products my buddy swears by their products

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Maybe if you just want to go in a straight line
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

UPR is good for 1/4 mile. If you want handling, stay the hell away.

Also there are a lot better products than UPR and a LOT of their stuff is ripped off. The running joke is that UPR=Unauthorized Product Reproductions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT