Shattered Throwout Bearing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Shattered Throwout Bearing

As the title states, my throwout bearing shattered a few nights ago during normal driving (30mph, easy shifting).

What happened:

I just put in a Ram HDX clutch, resurfaced the flywheel, Ford Racing pilot and throwout bearing, MM clutch quadrant and Ford Racing firewall adjuster.

When doing the install, I noticed the clutch fork and pivot were very worn and the fork would not clip onto the pivot correctly. I thought it would be held in place once I got it together and had some preload on the TB.

I adjusted the pedal so the clutch released a little past halfway through the pedal travel.

The TB was fine at first, but when I took the car on a 5 hour road trip and it started making noise. I then started commuting to work in the car, an hour on the highway per day at least. It started making more and more noise. That's when the throwout bearing broke. Opened the trans dustcover and chunks of bearing fell out.

This time I am going with a OEM Ford throwout as opposed to the Ford Racing. Seems the OEM one is the way to go.

So I am wondering if you guys think the worn pivot and clutch release lever would cause the TB failure? Or could it just have been a faulty TB?

For the release lever, is a Ford Racing release lever okay or should I go with an OEM on that one too? The Ford Racing part is almost half the cost which worries me.

Thank you for the help.

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sometimes they just break.
It sounds like yours was giving you plenty of warning that something wasn't right though.
I wonder if the way that you had it adjusted might have contributed to it's failure.

My instinct tells me that you should buy all factory Ford replacement parts but I don't know if the fork and pivot are any different between FRPP and Ford. But definitely get the OEM Ford TOB.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Hit up a dealer and get:

-New pivot ball
-New fork
-New TOB

The pilot is still probably just fine.

Preload on the TB has nothing to do with pedal travel btw, you need to visually see when it just starts to spin and then go 3 or 4 clicks tighter on a micro click or probably 1/4 turn on a set screw. Also having a non OEM cable could cause issues if that is a factor.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have an OEM cable. And I am planning on getting the OEM parts you guys listed.

Right, I spent half a day installing and adjusting the firewall adjuster, I remember I did it correctly at the time. I think it was 4-5 clicks on firewall adjuster.

After looking at it some more, the pressure plate is messed up as well. Fingers are uneven and move around when the car is on. Really sucks considering I just put the clutch on.

Planning on going Exedy over the Ram this time. Wasn't totally happy with the Ram in the first place

And I think this whole issue was caused by the bad pivot stud and fork. It has so much play in it compared to my dad's Mach 1

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT