99 cobra or Mach 1? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
99 cobra or Mach 1?

Im looking at getting a 99 cobra or a 03 mach 1 very soon. Both perform well enough for me to be happy. What I am wondering about is reliability. Is there a difference in maintainence for these cars? How many miles is too many for them? The 99 cobra Im looking at has 48k. There are a few Mach 1s I am looking at with similar mileage, and then there is a 99 cobra with 130k miles and a rebuild engine with teksid block (10k on rebuild)
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

manual transmissions only btw. I want more power than a 2v, I want it bone stock, and I don't like S197s
Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Whichever one is in better shape. They are damn near identical cars for all intents and purposes minus the IRS in the Cobra and a few cosmetics as well as the Mach specific stuff in the Mach. There is also the 01 Cobra that has one off seats and a better IRS. If you do get a 99 Cobra, make sure the recall was done on it. Early run 99s were underpowered and Ford put a new exhaust and a more aggressive tune and I think a redesigned air intake on it.

If it was me and it boiled down to the two and the price/condition was similar. Mach all the way. Less troublesome rear if you are staying stock, newer, and the shaker hood is just cool as hell. Get it in Competition Orange if you can.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Thanks for the mention on the 01 cobra seats. They look very nice.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I'd go Mach 1 all the way!
dwbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I honestly would rather have the Mach 1 but the Cobras are easier to find in mint shape and they actually cost significantly less around here. Im going to look at a Cobra tomorrow thats 45 minutes away from me. 48k miles and bone stock. The nicest Mach 1 I have found for that money was modded (not hideously though) and had 84k miles.

I personally don't want something that has so much as been freaking touched by anybody else's tools haha
Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
As said, performance wise, both are pretty even cars. I give the edge to the Mach due to the revised heads and 3.55 gears.

As a 4V owner maintenance is pretty straight forwards. Feed it the right fuel, give it a proper tune, and keep it well lubricated and they'll run forever. I prefer the SRA over the IRS...simpler system with fewer moving parts to fail..but with some upgraded bushings etc the IRS will perform well enough for most people out there. Comes down to purpose, track duty or corner carver.

I looked at quite a few machs and cobras when I wanted another mustang. I would gladly take a higher mileage car (100k or less) with the original engine/transmission over a car that has been rebuilt twice and has no documentation. There are just too many things that can go wrong imo. But that's just me, if someone is confident enough in the sellers work and/or knows them then go for it.

It really comes down to preference. Cobras are badass, but the Machs carry the heritage. They are a couple years newer and have some updates the 99/01 cars don't offer. The cobras definitely carry the sleeper status, (especially the 99/01's), while the Machs scream "look at me!"

Can't speak for a N/A cobra, but when stock form in a Mach gets boring do exhaust, intake, spacer, gears, dyno tune and you have a solid 300rwhp car.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
As said, performance wise, both are pretty even cars. I give the edge to the Mach due to the revised heads and 3.55 gears.

As a 4V owner maintenance is pretty straight forwards. Feed it the right fuel, give it a proper tune, and keep it well lubricated and they'll run forever. I prefer the SRA over the IRS...simpler system with fewer moving parts to fail..but with some upgraded bushings etc the IRS will perform well enough for most people out there. Comes down to purpose, track duty or corner carver.

I looked at quite a few machs and cobras when I wanted another mustang. I would gladly take a higher mileage car (100k or less) with the original engine/transmission over a car that has been rebuilt twice and has no documentation. There are just too many things that can go wrong imo. But that's just me, if someone is confident enough in the sellers work and/or knows them then go for it.

It really comes down to preference. Cobras are badass, but the Machs carry the heritage. They are a couple years newer and have some updates the 99/01 cars don't offer. The cobras definitely carry the sleeper status, (especially the 99/01's), while the Machs scream "look at me!"

Can't speak for a N/A cobra, but when stock form in a Mach gets boring do exhaust, intake, spacer, gears, dyno tune and you have a solid 300rwhp car.
I see you're in Wisconsin and own a Mach 1...

Im in wisconsin and I have a brick of money
Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
I honestly would rather have the Mach 1 but the Cobras are easier to find in mint shape and they actually cost significantly less around here. Im going to look at a Cobra tomorrow thats 45 minutes away from me. 48k miles and bone stock. The nicest Mach 1 I have found for that money was modded (not hideously though) and had 84k miles.

I personally don't want something that has so much as been freaking touched by anybody else's tools haha
Then get the Cobra. People make way too big a deal on the revised C heads IMO and the IRS is nice if you want handling, you just have to be aware that the IRS has major issues with wheel hop and durability in stock form and is heavy.

Now... the 99 vs 01 Cobras... 01s have a slightly stronger IRS and the Cobra seats. The 99s benefit from the revised T45 transmission vs the first year run of the 3650 in 01 which was known to be problematic so watch out for that.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm in Iowa...

...with no Mach 1...
...with no brick of money...

You can both come visit!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbrand View Post
I'm in Iowa...

...with no Mach 1...
...with no brick of money...

You can both come visit!
Tempting...

No brick of money huh? Got a brick of anything else I can have fun with?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Then get the Cobra. People make way too big a deal on the revised C heads IMO and the IRS is nice if you want handling, you just have to be aware that the IRS has major issues with wheel hop and durability in stock form and is heavy.

Now... the 99 vs 01 Cobras... 01s have a slightly stronger IRS and the Cobra seats. The 99s benefit from the revised T45 transmission vs the first year run of the 3650 in 01 which was known to be problematic so watch out for that.
I am not really too worried about the IRS. I have an entire SRA assembly I can swap in

Also, the weight of the IRS is in a good spot in my opinion. Id imagine that slightly helps the weight balance while also doing IRS magical things in the turns
Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

And I can sell the IRS to some sucker who hangs out with too many Euro & Jap guys
Old 08-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

IRS will do no magical things in turns with 15 year old rubber bushings... whole shebang needs to be dropped and replaced with the FTBR kit which is not all that much money at $700 to get the IRS sorted.

And adding weight can help the overall distribution but you still want the car as light as possible. Easy to take weight off the front especially with the aluminum block on the Cobra even with the 4V heads/cams adding a little more weight than what it would with a 2V.

And the SRA can be setup to handle just as well or better than the IRS if you are going after that. They both have their advantages and disadvantages as far as that goes.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tempting...

No brick of money huh? Got a brick of anything else I can have fun with?
12 gauge and a couple boxes of clays?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post

I wouldn't sell panther any car I owned, ever. Even if he had a gun to my head and my families heads and were offering the countries debt in money to me in cash to sell Panther a car. He's just going to screw it up, round off every bolt he touches, get mad at it and remove all the EFI and slap a carb on it. No thanks I'll keep my car.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mach 1 over 99/01 Cobras.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I picked up a really clean low mileage 99 Cobra 5 speed. 48k miles garage kept
Old 08-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Congratulations!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Pics? Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I recently almost traded for a really clean 99 cobra. It had just over a hundred thousand miles though. It fell thru becuase the guy is dreaming about what he wants for it. He wants $10k firm. Its nice and mostly stock except for some god awful painted interior peices and red lights. Its a driver with a few cosmetic blemishes, overall good condition not excellent. Hes pricing it as if it were low mileage and excellent condition though. He wants to trade for a lesser car but still a somewhat muscle car and get $6k in cash. That was too steep for me to trade him my car and $6k, that would put it at around $11k total or so and thats too much IMO. I offered him my car and $4k which is roughly a $9k value, he turned it down. Anyway i dont know why i shared all this now???

Old 08-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Seems relevant. He just got a cobra, and you mentioned that you tied to get one. From a guy, who thought his was made of gold.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Seems relevant. He just got a cobra, and you mentioned that you tied to get one. From a guy, who thought his was made of gold.

Pick your poison.
Yes he did think it was made of gold! I know people usually over value what they have due to it being worth more to them or whatever, but at a point you have to face reality. Like my car, its a really really clean 96 GT, looks good (at least i think so), mechanically perfect, babied its whole life , and decent amount of mods and new parts, shows very well etc etc, and has sentimental value to me and my 7 year old son. With all that though i know if i was to sell it and expect a truly real world price of what someone would pay, i would only expect 6k on the high end and 5k on the lower end. I wouldnt ask 8k and be firm if i had made the decision to sell it, you have to research and be realistic, thats how i know he wanted too much for his Cobra. They go all day long for 8-10k around me with less mileage and similar condition. The only reason i thought about doing the trade is that i have always wanted one and this way i wouldnt have the hassle of selling my car. Usually when i have been in this situation where someone wants too much but yet im interested i make my offer, if rejected then i thank them for their time and walk away leaving my offer on the table for the future if they come around eventually. This has worked for me a couple times anyway. I do expect though that Panther paid a fair price for his 99 Cobra, as i can try to tie in the actual topic of this thread and stop rambling on and on.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:12 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

How is this kid getting these cars. Wasn't he having trouble with his dad kicking him out for not selling his car or something ? Paying for classes etc... Or was it just troll posts?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:14 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
How is this kid getting these cars. Wasn't he having trouble with his dad kicking him out for not selling his car or something ? Paying for classes etc... Or was it just troll posts?

I do recall something about all that previosuly. Im sure he will clear all of that up. He did say at one point that he would have a full time job in the summer. Maybe he moved out??

Old 08-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
I do recall something about all that previosuly. Im sure he will clear all of that up. He did say at one point that he would have a full time job in the summer. Maybe he moved out??

Not sure but he made a pretty big commotion and made it seem like he was helpless. I'll try to find the thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, if he has it he has it. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Anyone can claim anything on the interwebs.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I have 3 ferraris

Old 08-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
I have 3 ferraris

Pfffftt I have 4- 3 lambos-6 mustangs all forced induction all for under 10 grand

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

99 cobra or Mach 1?

60, 1989 Slantnose
178565, 1965 Impala SS
2539, 1970 Challenger T/A
Might as well have the entire production run.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Open the hood and put 2 pennies, a nickel and a quarter on the plastic radiation cover and take a pic or it didn't happen!

In all seriousness I did see a stupidly clean and well done 01 Cobra sell for $12k last year near Pittsburgh. Thing was sick... And only 40k something miles.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 08-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

99 cobra or Mach 1?

Plastic radiation cover? Nice, I need one of those. Just kidding.
And yes the N/A cobra is a fine specimen.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
60, 1989 Slantnose
178565, 1965 Impala SS
2539, 1970 Challenger T/A
Might as well have the entire production run.

Pick your poison.
That's a lot of 65 Impala SS's!
You used to see a lot of them on the road.
I'll bet that at least a thousand of them got turned into low riders... Just in the little town that I grew up in!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

99 cobra or Mach 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
That's a lot of 65 Impala SS's!

You used to see a lot of them on the road.

I'll bet that at least a thousand of them got turned into low riders... Just in the little town that I grew up in!

It's the record holder for most cars produced in one year of any US manufacturer. Hasn't been beaten and I doubt it ever will.

Pick your poison.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT