New cobra or build my 2v? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
New cobra or build my 2v?

I know it might be obvious but I have my 04 GT it's very clean for a 2v.

Interior mods: very nice pioneer head unit Bluetooth usb and aux, wires are ran for subs if wanted, new door speakers all the way around, new racing bucket seats.

Exterior mods: custom tail lights, dipped decklid and rear end panels, dipped roof, dipped hood scoop, 03-04 cobra front bumper, 03-04 cobra rear spoiler, black fuel door, 18" FR500 chrome wheels.

Engine and drivetrain mods: BBK 73mm throttle body plenum combo, Steeda cold air intake, MSD ignition coils, Steeda Short throw shifter, Steeda under drive pullies, pacesetter longtube headers, custom exhaust, cat delete, EGR delete, off road h pipe, flowmaster 10's, 4" tips, built rear end, ford racing 3.73 gears Steeda lowering springs 1.5", koni street series shocks and struts, subframe connectors, Steeda x2 ball joints, new inner and outer tie rods, almost new nitto 555R drag radials 305/35/18, new forged rods and beefed internals(I was preparing it for nitrous or a supercharger) Transmission was rebuilt about 4k ago with new clutch and bearings.

The cobra I'm looking at is amazing Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438791125.374588.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	188692Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438791140.097324.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	188693Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438791150.485281.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	188694

How much better would that be from what I have now? What's the big differences between the two?
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
How much do they want for the Cobra?

Big differences between your car and the Cobra are:

-4V
-IRS
-Better Brakes
-Cobra specific stuff like bumpers/lights/seats/emblems

Its up to you really. You just have to be REALLY careful of cars like this. It is a project for a reason and is being sold with a brand new motor for a reason.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I've talked with the current owner of the cobra, previous owner hydro locked it.. And I've seen the build receipts and photos It was done right and everything is new so it looks as good as it sounds.. He's asking 9k but would take less if it's in cash which I plan on paying in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Sounds like your mind is made up then.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I mean it is but is the cobra gonna be that much better? I'm not decided by any means lol just sounds like a good deal.. Just want some incite to the 01 cobra from what you all know about them compared to a 2v
Old 08-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Looking at your mod list you have your GT built up pretty well, just need better brakes.
If you have forged rods and built internals why not keep the car you have built up and know the quality of the work and throw on some forced induction.

A 100 things could go wrong with that Cobra simply because you may not know about every detail of the rebuild. Not saying it's guaranteed to happen, there are plenty of rebuilt cars bought and sold every day, but it is a valid risk.

If your GT was stock or near stock I'd say the power gains would be there. But with the work done on your car, it wouldn't take much to make it compete with that Cobra.

Unless however you really want the "Cobra" status and the IRS.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What's the benefits of irs? Other than being a lot heavier and complex lol
Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Better the devil you do than the devil you don't. The 4V is the big thing with the 99/01 Cobra and even the Machs. The Machs are cooler with that shaker but still, basically just a GT with 4V and an appearance package. Brakes are easy to upgrade, transmissions are the same, suspension needs to get gone through on both platforms etc... etc... There are screaming good deals on GTs these days and whooping *** in a 2V is a much more satisfying experience.

Just my $.02 tho.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Better the devil you do than the devil you don't. The 4V is the big thing with the 99/01 Cobra and even the Machs. The Machs are cooler with that shaker but still, basically just a GT with 4V and an appearance package. Brakes are easy to upgrade, transmissions are the same, suspension needs to get gone through on both platforms etc... etc... There are screaming good deals on GTs these days and whooping *** in a 2V is a much more satisfying experience.

Just my $.02 tho.
I beg to differ on the mach being a GT with a 4 valve comment, and not just because I own one.

3.55 gears vs 3.27
Same brembo brakes setus Cobras
Welded subframe connectors
Revalved Tokico shocks/struts and different springs
Slightly larger sway bars (haven't confirmed that yet)

There are a decent amount of changes done to them to further them from a GT. Those things did help in my decision to get one over a GT. Same can applied to a N/A cobra when compared to a GT

I will say that all of those things can be added/upgraded to the GT for probably less money when comparing dollar for dollar the factory options on the mach vs buying them aftermarket for a GT.

On topic, I agree that the underdog scenario is always satisfying. A lowly GT whooping up on a 4V or an LS platform is always cool.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I beg to differ on the mach being a GT with a 4 valve comment, and not just because I own one.

3.55 gears vs 3.27
Same brembo brakes setus Cobras
Welded subframe connectors
Revalved Tokico shocks/struts and different springs
Slightly larger sway bars (haven't confirmed that yet)

There are a decent amount of changes done to them to further them from a GT. Those things did help in my decision to get one over a GT. Same can applied to a N/A cobra when compared to a GT

I will say that all of those things can be added/upgraded to the GT for probably less money when comparing dollar for dollar the factory options on the mach vs buying them aftermarket for a GT.

On topic, I agree that the underdog scenario is always satisfying. A lowly GT whooping up on a 4V or an LS platform is always cool.
This is where I base most of my opinion and yes that is just my opinion I know. However, all those things need to be replaced in the Mach as well if one is really serious about having a well sorted sports car. Couple that with the fact that the bottom end of the Mach will let go at the same power level as the GT... I just don't see the value in a $10-$12k Mach vs a $6-$8k GT in the same condition.

Big reason for the Mach is the cool factor IMO and it is cool as hell. Also the obvious collector car status. Really, if someone just wants to buy a stock Mustang and do exhaust and a few cosmetics and just drive and enjoy it, the Mach is where it is at IMO. But if one has plans to do an engine build later on and a power adder... you are going to be MUCH further ahead $$$ wise with a GT.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

But would you say the freshly built engine in the cobra I'm looking at he a better platform since it has some more beefed up lower end parts then my gt and it's a 4v
Old 08-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

If the price is right and the motor was done correctly and he used high quality rods/pistons then sure it is worth it. But you still never know. I'm not a huge proponent of buying a DIY engine build even if the guy seems competent and has a lot of pics. He boogers up a few ring gaps or overtorques one thing and that's all it takes.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for the misconception he didn't build it himself it was at a shop in his area
Old 08-06-2015, 10:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If your GT has forged internals just keep it and throw on a KB or Procharger.

'03 Mach 1 5spd
Fully forged Manley rods/pistons, Cobra crank, ARP hardware, 8.5:1, Procharger P1SC w/ intercooler, AFM power pipe, 60# injectors, 03/04 Cobra tank with dual fuel pumps, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, O/R X pipe and Flowmasters, Exedy stage 3 clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax, Front and rear upper + lower control arms, Ford Racing springs, Bob Monks tune 448 rwhp @ 9 PSI
LaserRed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

My get doesn't have as much internally as the cobra does I just have forged rods, forged Pistons, chromoly piston pins all from mmr.. The Cobras list goes on and on

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT