Daily Driveability of Kenne Bell 2v with stock Gears? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
brandonhgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Region: Michigan
Posts: 91
Daily Driveability of Kenne Bell 2v with stock Gears?

So I have been reviewing a ton of information online regarding potential long term plans for modifying my 2003 GT. The car just turned 30k and is bone stock.

I have considered full bolt-ons vs very few bolt ons with a supercharger.The more I read the more I think the Kenne Bell 2.1 intercooled kit would be perfect. I realize I can't go much more than 400whp with the stock motor, and that would be fine for me. No matter what I do power-wise I intend to upgrade the control arms/shocks/brakes first.

Now here comes the strange part (I have my flame suit on). I daily drive this car in the summer and do a lot of highway trips for work. My wife also drives the car on occasion. As such, unlike most who are considering power adders, I want to maintain as much of the stock driving characteristics as I can, with a lot more straight line power on tap. Basically, I would prefer to keep the stock 3.27 gears and leave the transmission alone (except for the J-mod).

Does anyone have any experience/insight as to how a supercharged 2v drives with the stock gears/basically stock transmission? Also, what would the ballpark 1/4 mile time be with such a set-up?

Thanks!
__________________
2003 GT Vert- Centennial Edition
brandonhgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,595
You actually don't want a super high gear with an auto and a Kenne Bell. Leaving the 3.27s will be fine. I would get a good aftermarket converter and a tune from someone who really knows their way around an auto tho.

As for 1/4 like times... Most tracks where I am need a cage if you run 11s. You will likely need a cage lol. Is your wife ok with that?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
brandonhgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Region: Michigan
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You actually don't want a super high gear with an auto and a Kenne Bell. Leaving the 3.27s will be fine. I would get a good aftermarket converter and a tune from someone who really knows their way around an auto tho.

As for 1/4 like times... Most tracks where I am need a cage if you run 11s. You will likely need a cage lol. Is your wife ok with that?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thanks for the info! I'm about 45 minutes away from Alternative Auto and have read excellent things about Lidio. I figured if I am going to pay for the pricey toys I may as well have the total package, which I know he can deliver. My plan is to stockpile the parts this winter to do suspension/brakes next spring, and add the power the following spring.

As for times, would this setup be close to the 11's/low 12's? If so, that is a bit faster than I anticipated and I would likely look into adding a rollcage. It will also likely compel my dad (who has modded 2011 GT) to go forced induction as well (he loves having the faster car).

As for wife, if the car has a rollcage she will be too embarrassed to be seen driving it, lol! However, she already gave green light for mods as she thinks the Mustang is too slow. A few months back she almost got rear-ended pulling out of our sub, as (sadly) her giant Armada has much better low end pickup, and our Maxima is just much faster, than the Mustang. If the Mustang ends up being too fast for her, I will do what any husband would do, and blame her for telling me to make it faster!
__________________
2003 GT Vert- Centennial Edition
brandonhgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,595
The Mustang will murder that Maxima with a few mods NA. That's your 3.27s and stock converter and tune sucking a lot. You can run mid 12s with bolt ons/converter/4.10s/tune with the right suspension setup that is not too uncomfortable for the street.

A 400whp automatic KB 2V properly set up with the right suspension/track tires is going to run well into the 11s. Pretty much just point and shoot with the 4R trans.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
brandonhgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Region: Michigan
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The Mustang will murder that Maxima with a few mods NA. That's your 3.27s and stock converter and tune sucking a lot. You can run mid 12s with bolt ons/converter/4.10s/tune with the right suspension setup that is not too uncomfortable for the street.

A 400whp automatic KB 2V properly set up with the right suspension/track tires is going to run well into the 11s. Pretty much just point and shoot with the 4R trans.
Point and shoot sounds great to me! For daily driving, will my stock size Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's have any chance of keeping the car on the road if driven reasonably? Or will I need a dedicated summer tire?
__________________
2003 GT Vert- Centennial Edition
brandonhgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,595
Nope, part of that "suspension" is a wheel/tire package that'll hook up. Lots of rave reviews for the Mickey Thompson street comps, they are probably the best street tire currently available that won't get eaten up in 5k miles.

TBTH, I'd make suspension and any "bolt ons" that need to get done first the priority and then worry about the blower. A bolt on/tune automatic PI car with a converter and decent suspension/tires will probably scare the **** out of your wife if she thinks her Maxima or SUV is fast.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
retiredvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: union
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 252
Your car with an auto like mine slapping the 2.1 intercooled kit on it and keeping stock gears is perfect. Check out I think its blue oval guy (google) they sell modified 11 inch stalls which would be perfect for ur dd and they are half the price of a name brand like tci. 2500 stall is about your sweet spot with that blower. Performance wise with street tires your looking at 12.20's @ 110ish but without good meats your 60ft times are going to be in the 1.8-2.1 range with a roots blower

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
03 GT 13.4 @ 117MPH best 2v 4.6 w/ auto
Check out my Garage info for what I am installing at this moment~
retiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
brandonhgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Region: Michigan
Posts: 91
Yeah, I figure as soon as I start modding it the keys will mysteriously "disappear" and she wont be commuting to work in it any more. Thanks again for the info!
__________________
2003 GT Vert- Centennial Edition
brandonhgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
retiredvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: union
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 252
That was supposed to say 119mph not 110 damned auto correct

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
03 GT 13.4 @ 117MPH best 2v 4.6 w/ auto
Check out my Garage info for what I am installing at this moment~
retiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
retiredvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: union
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 252
ok found the site for the modified converters, save you some $$$ http://www.blueovalchips.com/index.p...duct_list&c=14
__________________
03 GT 13.4 @ 117MPH best 2v 4.6 w/ auto
Check out my Garage info for what I am installing at this moment~
retiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
brandonhgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Region: Michigan
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredvet View Post
Your car with an auto like mine slapping the 2.1 intercooled kit on it and keeping stock gears is perfect. Check out I think its blue oval guy (google) they sell modified 11 inch stalls which would be perfect for ur dd and they are half the price of a name brand like tci. 2500 stall is about your sweet spot with that blower. Performance wise with street tires your looking at 12.20's @ 110ish but without good meats your 60ft times are going to be in the 1.8-2.1 range with a roots blower

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
More good info, thanks!
__________________
2003 GT Vert- Centennial Edition
brandonhgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Technically, for a convertible to pass NHRA safety inspection, you need a roll bar for anything faster than a 13.50.
If you break into the 10's, you will need a full-on roll cage.

The coupes don't need a roll bar until they hit 11.49. And if it is an unaltered car (i.e.original firewall, floorboards, etc) the coupes don't need a roll cage until they break into the 9's.

Those are the NHRA rules. The rules at your track may vary.
One guy on here used to run his convertible Terminator all of the time without a roll bar.
I think that he was leaving the top up, so that no one would notice...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,595
Around here the tracks will pull you if you run an 11.anything without at least something like the bolt in MM cage.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhgt View Post
So I have been reviewing a ton of information online regarding potential long term plans for modifying my 2003 GT. The car just turned 30k and is bone stock.

I have considered full bolt-ons vs very few bolt ons with a supercharger.The more I read the more I think the Kenne Bell 2.1 intercooled kit would be perfect. I realize I can't go much more than 400whp with the stock motor, and that would be fine for me. No matter what I do power-wise I intend to upgrade the control arms/shocks/brakes first.

Now here comes the strange part (I have my flame suit on). I daily drive this car in the summer and do a lot of highway trips for work. My wife also drives the car on occasion. As such, unlike most who are considering power adders, I want to maintain as much of the stock driving characteristics as I can, with a lot more straight line power on tap. Basically, I would prefer to keep the stock 3.27 gears and leave the transmission alone (except for the J-mod).

Does anyone have any experience/insight as to how a supercharged 2v drives with the stock gears/basically stock transmission? Also, what would the ballpark 1/4 mile time be with such a set-up?

Thanks!
Before you start ordering parts, one thing you should do. Contact your insurance agent and find out how much and even if they will cover your supercharger. If you don't tell them and you have an accident, they could refuse to cover it or the entire car.
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
retiredvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: union
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 252
If you have to worry about your insurance company covering your car just because of a supercharger you need a new insurance company. I suggest usaa or liberty mutual

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
03 GT 13.4 @ 117MPH best 2v 4.6 w/ auto
Check out my Garage info for what I am installing at this moment~
retiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,595
I have to give USAA a call again myself. ****ing esurance raised my rates to what I was paying with USAA and if the USAA price is still the same as it was I'm going back in 2 seconds. But USAA is not available to everyone.


But the insurance company should cover the damages for liability and then cover the book value of the vehicle. Adding mods to your insurance is usually so that the value of money YOU get if your car is totaled is consistent with what you've spent.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
retiredvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: union
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 252
Liberty mutual has a deal with usaa to offer low rates for people who call usaa but dont qualify like my mother since my father never set up an account and my service only covers my wife and kids

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
03 GT 13.4 @ 117MPH best 2v 4.6 w/ auto
Check out my Garage info for what I am installing at this moment~
retiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,595
That's a good deal then. Even if Liberty has really stupid commercials. Yes you only get $37k for your $40k car because its got 3k on it, you farted in the seats and its not "new" anymore. Ugh...


lol
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
torchdNblazen03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oneida
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 160
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
torchdNblazen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Engine swap | HELP »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 Mustang lx 5.0 W/Kenne Bell and Kenny Brown suspension imbforu Mustangs for Sale and Wanted 1 03-16-2007 01:58 PM
Kenne Bell GT500 Edition bluemustang General Car Discussion 40 03-10-2007 03:32 PM
I am the first to post a Kenne Bell blower thread, lol. 427windsorman 1979-1995 Mustang GT 4 02-27-2004 03:35 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:30 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.