Tire thoughts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Region: Georgia
Tire thoughts

I'm new to the forum and not a long-time Mustang owner, so thank you for your patience and guidance. We have a '96 GT convertible and are getting close to the point of needing new tires. I started doing some tire research and discovered that it is a very complex arena, at least for me. I thought it would be helpful to hear from other Mustang owners. We drive the car less than 10,000 miles per year. We have a mix of in-town driving and driving on state and county highways. We get on an interstate once in a while, but not very often. We live in Georgia, so ice and snow isn't a real issue. When we get that kind of weather we drive our other car. We drive fairly sedately, but once in a while "the horses need to run," so if we find a back road straightaway with no other cars in sight we might push it to 90 or 95. We also like to enjoy taking in into curves with a bit of speed since it handles so darn well. We think we would like a tire that is sort of a cross between a good grip/performance tire and one that will give us decent tread wear. One tire shop recommend the Cooper Zeon RS3-8 and another shop recommended a BFGoodrich g-force Comp 2 A/SA. The Cooper has fairly good online reviews, but a little mixed, and the g-force has even better reviews. Anyone have experience with either of these tires, or recommend a different tire for our use? Thank you.
danwdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I had those BFGs on my 98GT. They are amazing tires and I was lucky enough to get them on sale at Tirerack at the time. They even came with a $50 prepaid Visa card. You are going to have a tough time finding a better tire for the price. Get them in 245/45/17 or 255/45/17 whichever is the better deal and you'll be good to go. Both those sizes were OEM at one point or another for 94-04 cars.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdunn View Post
I'm new to the forum and not a long-time Mustang owner, so thank you for your patience and guidance. We have a '96 GT convertible and are getting close to the point of needing new tires. I started doing some tire research and discovered that it is a very complex arena, at least for me. I thought it would be helpful to hear from other Mustang owners. We drive the car less than 10,000 miles per year. We have a mix of in-town driving and driving on state and county highways. We get on an interstate once in a while, but not very often. We live in Georgia, so ice and snow isn't a real issue. When we get that kind of weather we drive our other car. We drive fairly sedately, but once in a while "the horses need to run," so if we find a back road straightaway with no other cars in sight we might push it to 90 or 95. We also like to enjoy taking in into curves with a bit of speed since it handles so darn well. We think we would like a tire that is sort of a cross between a good grip/performance tire and one that will give us decent tread wear. One tire shop recommend the Cooper Zeon RS3-8 and another shop recommended a BFGoodrich g-force Comp 2 A/SA. The Cooper has fairly good online reviews, but a little mixed, and the g-force has even better reviews. Anyone have experience with either of these tires, or recommend a different tire for our use? Thank you.

I put the BFGs on my '95 T/A last year. Awesome tire, great grip. Have not driven the car in the rain, but they are supposed to be a great wet weather tire also.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I got caught in the rain a few times with them. They do fine. Just have to watch when it starts to get near 30 degrees F. I usually put the car away when it started to consistently stay below 40 anyway.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I got caught in the rain a few times with them. They do fine. Just have to watch when it starts to get near 30 degrees F. I usually put the car away when it started to consistently stay below 40 anyway.

I pulled mine out one morning when it was in the 40s because it was supposed to hit the 70s later in the day. Definitely felt a difference.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Dunlop Direzza ZII

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Sumitomo htrz 2's they are z rated ultra high performance with a 420 treadwear. Amazing in wet and dry super sticky when heated(1.67 60ft proves that) best of all they are 300 for a set of 4 shipped and pep boys has deal with tire rack for lifetime balance and rotate

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT