Stay with 03 GT or switch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Stay with 03 GT or switch

So after only a year of ownership... my car is kind of becoming boring to me. Granted I had other expenses this summer, and couldn't buy a ton of mods to make the car better but still. My GT is in perfect condition and only has 85k miles but I kind of want to get into a 4v or dare I say LS motor car (Ford fanboy but also total car enthusiast and you can't ignore GM's great platform ). Basically all I'm asking is for anyone to persuade me to one of these directions cause I'm unsure right now..

1) Build GT (some appearance probably would On3 and gears down the road)
2) Sell GT and buy 94-95, 96-98, 99/01 cobra or LS car

I'm only going to be driving the car 3 months out of the year anyway cause of college, so I don't know why I'm debating this... Guess I'm just getting a little bored with the 2v
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 01:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If your car was stock when you bought it and you know all that has been done to it along with the mods you have already done i would lean towards stick with it. Plus if its in excellent shape and you havent had any issues you dont want to buy someone elses headache. This is where im at also, i may sell or keep my 96 and "upgrade" as i love the new edges this fall/winter when prices drop a little again. Its always a tough decision tho i know. Maybe doing some more mods, lowering it, wheels, suspension, bolt ons would spice it up depending on what you have already done.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You won't find a better bang for your performance buck than a F body. If you are that bored with your GT and considering a LS1 powered anything it will be a big bump up from what you have now. They have their own issues tho and you will have to grow some sort of mullet if you do wind up owning one.

As for building your 03. If you are thinking of forging the motor and doing a big power build and are bored with what you have now... suggest you DD your GT until you have enough $$$ to buy a Coyote as it will likely be cheaper.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
As for building your 03. If you are thinking of forging the motor and doing a big power build and are bored with what you have now... suggest you DD your GT until you have enough $$$ to buy a Coyote as it will likely be cheaper.

Thats another option I was thinking lol. I already DD my car when I'm home, but this next summer or the one after I should have a Co-op for engineering and I know buddies that have made 10k in one summer. However, the thought of having a car payment kind of scares me.... Looks like its time to start growing the mullet

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you don't want a car payment, sell your 03 and save a little $$$ and try to find a nicer low mileage F body. They are still out there, check out ls1tech.com and a few other places.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
id get an 01 cobra. My 99 is cool but people think its a "cake cobra" because the rear bumper doesn't say COBRA on it haha. Had some guy raz me at a stop light 2 days ago
Him- "Yeah fake cobra!!!"
Me- "its not a fake cobra"
Him- "that rear bumper doesn't say cobra you jut have badges on the side"
Me- "Its a 99 please stop talking"
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
id get an 01 cobra. My 99 is cool but people think its a "cake cobra" because the rear bumper doesn't say COBRA on it haha. Had some guy raz me at a stop light 2 days ago
Him- "Yeah fake cobra!!!"
Me- "its not a fake cobra"
Him- "that rear bumper doesn't say cobra you jut have badges on the side"
Me- "Its a 99 please stop talking"
Nothing is as bad as driving around a 94/95 Cobra. "Hey is that a real one?". Although it is satisfying when you make someone look like an idiot as it seems was the case with you.

I mean the 99/01 has enough giveaways where most ppl know except that guy seemed like a tool. The 94/95 Cobra has a few DEAD giveaways for ppl who know the cars (I can spot one across a parking lot) but for 99% of ppl out there they have no idea.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nothing is as bad as driving around a 94/95 Cobra. "Hey is that a real one?". Although it is satisfying when you make someone look like an idiot as it seems was the case with you.

I mean the 99/01 has enough giveaways where most ppl know except that guy seemed like a tool. The 94/95 Cobra has a few DEAD giveaways for ppl who know the cars (I can spot one across a parking lot) but for 99% of ppl out there they have no idea.
Yeah the guy had his girlfriend/wife in the passenger seat. They were driving an 03(ish) explorer. She looked at me when I was talking and then kinda smirked at her bf after I corrected him.

6.5k rpm in a cobra with the wheels breaking loose is my favorite way to say "not a fake cobra" lol
Old 08-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah you need to fix that IRS to get the wheels to stop breaking loose.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah no kidding! Its got all season tires on right now though, so its basically doomed in 1st gear on concrete
Old 08-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not if they're good ones like the Continental Extremes. Might as well just get a set of Mickey Street Comps and be done with it tho.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

My car smoked off a set of street comps off as soon as V tec kicked in
Old 08-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hey don't laugh, the 3V has vtec lolz.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey don't laugh, the 3V has vtec lolz.
Yeah that's part of the reason I didn't get an s197.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Try having 4.10s with cheap Sumitomos. 1st and 2nd gear are useless unless i roll into it. Even rolling in 1st if i smash the throttle it spins.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Mine is almost a year and with exhaust and wheels and few cosmetic mods, can honestly say I won't be getting bored for a while , only the gas mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah first gear mine will spin on demand. 2nd gear and it will get them rolling if I let it. shifting into 3rd will squak them. 4th and 5th will hook but I don't really want to die or get arrested so I just cruise in those gears for now.

I love going WOT for a long time and everything, but public roads are such a ****ty place to do it when you're used to racing motorcycles on race tracks. Going 120+ really is not that thrilling, but its a good way to get thrown in jail. I jus like rowing gears and spirited back road driving
Old 08-18-2015, 03:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Sound perfect to me. The stock hp of your cobra seems like a mark i would actually be very happy with for a long time. It will take a lot of money for me to get there but ive had my mustang almost 5 years and i need to do something to spice it up hp wise, just cost almost as much as the car is worth. I know i can do a PI swap (or have the labor done after i finish gathering parts) im intimidated to do it myself as ive never done anything that large before, plus i would have to invest in some better tools and an impact/compressor to be efficient and once i do that i may as well pay for labor and have it done. But again either way its pricey for 40 hp or so plus a tune to get it right. I know then i could add other mods and give it come more performance but then im into more money. Maybe eventually ill finish the pi swap and piece together a vortech kit, who knows. I got way off course with this topic sorry. Very nice car you have and im glad youre enjoying it!!

Old 08-18-2015, 03:17 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I actually got a quote this summer from a very good shop in detroit, livernois motorsports. The quote was for install and parts: i supply the used pi heads, refurbished heads at the shop, custom grind stage 2 cams, valve springs and everything to go along, all gaskets etc, new PI intake, custom dyno tune, larger injectors, all done and ready to go for $4k. That was a little steep but when i add it all up it is in the ballpark when you throw in labor too. Im not sure what i would be making hp at that point but i imagine close to 300 at the wheels if i upgraded the plenum/tb as well. Which this would be nice, have a nice lopey idle, be perfectly tuned, professionaly done by a great shop, and a lot more power than what i have currently. But its a lot of money, if i do it i will have to keep the car for a very long time!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT