2001 gt very engine swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
2001 gt very engine swap

I have an 01 gt vert. With an auto transmission. I recently spun a bearing and now replacing the motor. Can anyone give me insight on putting a 5.0 or a 5.4 litter in it? Which would give me more power, and rough estimates on the cost of each would be tremendous. I'm going to give the car a complete over haul and wanna also go with a 5 or 6 speed transmission. With a cammed out engine?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
CCSOdeputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
It will be cheaper to replace your motor with a pullout from a JY, sell it and then turn around and buy a used low mileage 11-14 GT. You are looking at over $20k including the cost of the car for a properly done Coyote swap or forged 4.6L/5.4L build with a power adder.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Fair enough. If I am dead set on staying with a new edge, what are my options for power while staying under 10k with natural aspiration

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
There is about a 350 hp limit I would say being n/a without spray anything more you'll need a power adder.. I've got every bolt on but heads and I'm just over 300 on a mild tune..
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Natural aspirated on a modular is kind of an effort in futility. I mean you can run mid-high 11s with a really good setup and a $$$ stroker build.

What are your goals for the car and how much can you DIY? Labor costs make a HUGE difference.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
2001 gt very engine swap

To kinda chime in make sure u really wanna do it. I'm not trying to be one of those guys that say go another route its jus cheaper to buy something else. I just got finish doing a v6 to v8 2v swap Sunday. 8k cash easy I spent and took 4 months. I could have bought a gt outright but I'm hooked on my car, so just know wat you getting yourself into

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
comporange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The only modular engine worth building all motor is the coyote.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If you're going to PAY somebody to build your new edge into anything fast, just skip the whole pain in the *** process and buy a termi cobra.

You could build a sweet car yourself for not much money, though.

-Get a chevy 5.3/5.7/6.0 from a junkyard.
-Cam + Heads + Carb = Big power and no $$ for a tune
-Get a T56 from an F body Trans-maro-bird
-Make brackets to make everything fit to your current engine and trans mounts
-Then sell it and buy a Termi cobra after you realize this is way too much work and the project is 5x more expensive than you realized haha
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

For real though, you COULD do this cheaply if you are crafty. you have to be a thoroughbread engineer/fabricator/inventor for this swap to be cheap and come out right. You cant just buy bolt-on parts and think your build will be cheap or fast. You need talent, tools, and knowledge.

If you don't aleady have talent, tools, and knowledge: maybe you SHOULD do this project so you can gain that stuff. Don't do it because you're expecting it to be an easy path to V8 manliness, though. You will toil with this project until you're exhausted and probably cry a lot throughout the process.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by comporange View Post
To kinda chime in make sure u really wanna do it. I'm not trying to be one of those guys that say go another route its jus cheaper to buy something else. I just got finish doing a v6 to v8 2v swap Sunday. 8k cash easy I spent and took 4 months. I could have bought a gt outright but I'm hooked on my car, so just know wat you getting yourself into

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yeah. My car is the first mustang I've owned and don't wanna get rid if it. It's my baby. Lol

Old 08-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSOdeputy View Post
Yeah. My car is the first mustang I've owned and don't wanna get rid if it. It's my baby. Lol

The only advice I have to give you at this point is that nitrous is a great way to spool your turbo up faster
Old 08-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
If you're going to PAY somebody to build your new edge into anything fast, just skip the whole pain in the *** process and buy a 2011-2014 Mustang GT.
Fixed. The Termi is iconic but its not in the same league as the Coyote. And if one was dead set on a torquey blower car like the Termi, the 07-09 GT500s are MUCH better buys for not too much more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSOdeputy View Post

TBTH, that's what we all say and there are VERY few of us who actually hold on to the first one.

That said, this would be a very good learning experience for you if this is your first Mustang. If your motor is blown but the trans and the rest of the car is fine, get a cherry picker and engine stand, get a low mileage 04+ 2V engine out of a Crown Vic/Marquis/Town Car and teach yourself how to swap it. In the process you will learn how to do most of the things you'll ever have to do on one of these vehicles and a Mustang is one of the very easiest things to do a motor swap on.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
No one really mentioned the 5.4, so I'll try to offer what I know. By "know" I really mean, "what I've read on internet forums".

You can find a JY 5.4 and the nice thing about them is you can bolt on 2v or 4v heads.

These motors do weigh more and are physically larger. You would probably need a cowl hood to make it fit, but I think there might be mounts out there that drop the motor and it fits under the stock hood.

I read about a 5.4 swap (I think on a different forum. it was a 96 or so car) and the dyno results (no power adder) weren't that impressive. It was 300+ but enough that I would've been happy with it.

Do you rely on the car daily or do you have other means to get from A to B? Do you have a place for storage? The more Coyote motors out there, the cheaper they will become, as will parts for the swap. If you really want to keep the car and really want to go that route, store the thing until you can buy the engine and parts and make the swap.

Or do what Scotty did- JY 4.6 and that'll get you by for quite awhile, too.
dwbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I feel ya on the body style. I'm aways going to have a new edge. If I get frisky one day I could see dropping in a coyote. For the for see able future I'm going to settle with FI.

A built coyote new edge would be sweet, but knowing me I'd end up with 20-30k tied up into a motor. I'd love it, but my wife wouldn't....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

For the money of a Coyote swap today, I would go a different route and get more power and have more engine bay room.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

2001 gt very engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
For the money of a Coyote swap today, I would go a different route and get more power and have more engine bay room.

Depends on the overall set up.

A bolt on E85 coyote spinning to 7600rpm making 430-440whp will be faster than a 500whp 2v. Now put that same engine into a 99-04 and you drop 100lbs alone from the engine compared to the 2v. And to even get 500whp out of a 2v you have to build it.

At that point with the blower and having to build it you will be at coyote swap price.

Hell you can get a junkyard 5.0 for the same price as a set of TFS twisted wedge heads.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 08-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
A built coyote new edge would be sweet, but knowing me I'd end up with 20-30k tied up into a motor.

Most people who have done it say budget 10-12k for the swap.

HID end all thread
Old 08-20-2015, 06:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

The problem is I wouldn't stop at a straight swap, the motor would get built before getting dropped in. I wouldn't be so lucky to do it for 10-12. I also hadn't added the cost to get the car to a state to handle that kind of power. I would probably spend more in total on the whole car than it would cost to pick up a brand new top tier mustang. If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Depends on the overall set up.

A bolt on E85 coyote spinning to 7600rpm making 430-440whp will be faster than a 500whp 2v. Now put that same engine into a 99-04 and you drop 100lbs alone from the engine compared to the 2v. And to even get 500whp out of a 2v you have to build it.

At that point with the blower and having to build it you will be at coyote swap price.

Hell you can get a junkyard 5.0 for the same price as a set of TFS twisted wedge heads.

Well, the F150 version which needs a few things like a front cover, $500 worth of Coyote/Roadrunner cams and I forget what else. I've seen actual Mustang Coyotes as low as $4k with decent miles on them. But then there is all the other swap stuff which is what another $3k for the harness/brackets/exhaust? And then all the other misc stuff and if someone can't DIY its completely not worth it.

Quote:

That sounds about right. This is the route I would go personally if I had not literally stumbled right onto the silver car I have that already has a $6k (new) supercharger setup on it. Otherwise I would for sure be taking my own advice and just buying a 11+ GT (or a 07-09 GT500).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
The problem is I wouldn't stop at a straight swap, the motor would get built before getting dropped in. I wouldn't be so lucky to do it for 10-12. I also hadn't added the cost to get the car to a state to handle that kind of power. I would probably spend more in total on the whole car than it would cost to pick up a brand new top tier mustang. If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
All you need are Boss rods and pistons and exhaust cams to "build" one for 800hp. You don't even really need the exhaust cams honestly but while its out its another $250...

Not expensive especially not with the motor out. Heads do not need to be ported, stock heads have gone 9s already. The Coyote is a freak of nature as far as motors go IMO.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
It all boils down to the amount of time and money you have to spend on this project.
Sure, an 07/09 GT500 would be nice and they are still expensive.....I'm talking about a low mile one West of the Rockies. The 03/04 Cobra's with low miles are going up in price...not down....in the West anyway. I'll sell you a bone stock 03 with 5500 miles for $29k............compare a 07/09 GT500 with comparable miles you are talking $35/40k......again here in the West. Sure there are 03/04 Cobras out there with 60/80k miles that are cheaper....I wouldn't own one and the same with 07/09 GT500's.
With that said if your budget was around $12 for this build and you have never done a lot of work on cars and have the time......hopefully your Mustang is not a DD....then I'd say go for it....just plan it out very carefully and stick with the plan.
Personally one of my all time favorites in the way of swaps is a OHC motor in a Fox body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox body with 4.6 2.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	189739  
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
If you're in North Carolina you may have heard of Steve Shrader.

Shrader Performance – modular Ford engine experts

I got a quote for a built short block 4.6L he pulls your motor, swaps all parts to finish the build and reinstall the motor for $7600.00. They will also run it on the Dyno to tune it. All parts are top of the line forged! The crank is cast unless you want different. If you call them, they were really good over the phone to me. He runs a clean shop!
They also do SC installs and everything else!

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
It all boils down to the amount of time and money you have to spend on this project.
Sure, an 07/09 GT500 would be nice and they are still expensive.....I'm talking about a low mile one West of the Rockies. The 03/04 Cobra's with low miles are going up in price...not down....in the West anyway. I'll sell you a bone stock 03 with 5500 miles for $29k............compare a 07/09 GT500 with comparable miles you are talking $35/40k......again here in the West. Sure there are 03/04 Cobras out there with 60/80k miles that are cheaper....I wouldn't own one and the same with 07/09 GT500's.
With that said if your budget was around $12 for this build and you have never done a lot of work on cars and have the time......hopefully your Mustang is not a DD....then I'd say go for it....just plan it out very carefully and stick with the plan.
Personally one of my all time favorites in the way of swaps is a OHC motor in a Fox body.
Agree, saw this one at the Knott's show this year it was a very clean setup!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2566.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	189748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2567.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	189749  

Name:	IMG_2568.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	189750  
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
This is what we called back in the day......"a sleeper"........has a single pipe showing, stock wheels although the rears are street radial slicks, tubular cross member and a lot more....very trick little car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sleeper.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	189755  
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

That thing screams bloody murder...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 08-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #25

Region: New Mexico
https://m.facebook.com/notes/warhors...7566943605913/

This is the cheapest route! You'll have 280 hp to the wheels if you swap the intake manifold and your mustang will be 75 lbs lighter because of the aluminum block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
martinbaca18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT