Steering problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Steering problem

I've replaced struts,ball joints,springs,outer tie rod end,swaybar end links and bushings.. my steering is so loose and I still have a really bad screeching/creaking noise up front. It's hard to drive in a straight line that's how bad it is and it does its own thing around corners what do I replace next ? Steering rack bushings ? Inner tie rod ends ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

XxFLoridaboYxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
From all your symptoms sounds like your rack and pinion is shot just had a thread like this but they don't have those issues

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

If you are having a problem with the steering rack and pinion, your steering wheel will have a loose feel to it. The car may also wander on the road when you are driving, moving slightly to one side or the other instead of traveling in a straight line. Steering will seem harder than it should, and the car will not respond well to the movements of the steering wheel. It may also be harder to turn the car in one direction than the other. Another sign of a problem is that the car will be harder to steer in the morning than later in the day. You may also find that the steering wheel does not return properly to its normal neutral position after you have made a turn.

According to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, sounds such as thudding, clunking, or a persistent knocking can be warnings of a loose rack and pinion steering system. If you hear these types of sounds as you drive, you need to get the system checked out.

Unusual tire wear is another symptom of a steering rack and pinion problem, though there are other conditions that can cause uneven tire wear. If your tires show uneven wear, where they are more worn on either the inside or the outside than on the rest of the tire, you should suspect a rack and pinion problem.

If you find that your car seems to be leaking fluid from the front end, it could be a leak from the rack and pinion steering system. If you want to verify where the fluid is coming from, put some newspaper or cardboard under the boots of your rack and pinion system. If the fluid drips from the boots, you will know that your rack and pinion steering system is compromised. Most likely you will see at least some of the other symptoms listed in this article together with a fluid leak.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT