Tallest sidewall that will work? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Tallest sidewall that will work?

I have 2 sets of rims right now for my car. Im thinking about getting some 4.10s or 4.30s for the rear diff, but I drive interstate at 80 so much that I am hesitating.

My idea is to get some very tall sidewalls on my spare set of 17" rear wheels. That way it is effectively geared up again for when I have to do a long trip. I could just jack the car up and switch the wheels before I head out for the weekend

What do you guys think about running a 245/65-17 on the back? It probably would hook better than a lower profile tire anyways lol. The outside diameter would be increased by 4cm
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Sidewall wont wrinkle on launches with any radials. Its all about the tire compound. That said the difference between 4.30 and 4.10 on your et's is negligible and since you highway drive always opt for the higher gear ratio for streetability. If it was a dedicated weekend warrior maybe and then only if you had an auto not with a manual

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredvet View Post
Sidewall wont wrinkle on launches with any radials. Its all about the tire compound. That said the difference between 4.30 and 4.10 on your et's is negligible and since you highway drive always opt for the higher gear ratio for streetability. If it was a dedicated weekend warrior maybe and then only if you had an auto not with a manual

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sidewall wrinkle isnt what I was getting at. Taller sidewall = bigger radius = bigger flatter contact patch on the ground

Higher gear ratio is what the taller tires would effectively do and they would be used on the highway.

So what is the tallest tire you think I could put on without damaging the well?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'm assuming these are 17x8s correct? You can effectively get away with a 27" tall tire out back if you are going for drag strip. I had a set of 26.6" tall tires in my last car that was lowered and they fit fine.

Just get on tirerack and see what the actual overall tire diameter is going to be of whatever you choose.

That said, a 255/45/17 is a very nice tire to go with at 26.1" and was an OEM size for that rim (on 94/95 Cobras). Stick it with some 4.10s and your .68 final overdrive in that Cobra and you should be able to do a decent clip on the highway without too many RPMs.

Hit up tirerack like I said and then google "RPM calculator" and you can plug in all your info and see about what your RPMs will be.

edit: Also be aware that too much size difference between the front and rear as far as diameter is going to cause your ABS controller to kick off and stop working and you'll have that light on the dash.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT