Looking for that next mod... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Looking for that next mod...

I'm talking about my 03 GT... I've already got a (cheap) CAI, 75mm Accufab TB/P, and SCT X4 tuner. I'm running the canned 87 tune on it.

I'm thinking something along the lines of brakes or suspension. Last week and this week I've been working in KC and in much heavier traffic than I'm used to- seems like my brakes aren't what they were two weeks ago or I'm realizing what I always had.

I think the front pads are some kind of semi-metallic- previous owner put them on and they are annoying DIRTY.

Do I upgrade my pads to a ceramic? What can I do to keep my front in from nose diving under heavy braking? I'm not looking to do anything crazy but I want a safe car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dwbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If your car has high miles you could replace pads and rotors. Not sure off the top of my head what brands but in sure some "squeak" more than others. As for the noise down issue well you could put on lowering springs. Lower the car for a stiffer ride and less suspension travel, either that or some adjustable shocks to firm up your ride.

wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm at 128,000 miles, not what I'd call high mileage.

I have some lowering springs waiting for install but keep going back and forth on them. I bottom out enough places stock...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'd check your pads/rotors and see if they need replacing.

But for next mods I'd get exhaust if you don't already have it. Then go for suspensions upgrades.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I knew I was forgetting something! I've got exhaust, Magnaflows and O/R-H

Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Get suspension work and sticky tires.. after your brakes are good lol
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Biggest bang for buck single upgrade. At least seat of your pants fun. Gears. 4.10s if ur a city or rural driver 3.73s if you commute an hour or more each day on the highway, tho most still opt for 4.10s if an automatic

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Gears gears gears gears gears.

If you are looking at brakes, get on Rockauto and order some Raybestos rotors and Centric Posi-Quiet pads. This is the combo I run on all my Mustangs and the parts are superior and the pads work great and there is ZERO brake dust too which is a nice bonus. Do not buy local Napa/Duracrap/Advance rotors, they all have runout issues and will have warping issues later on if they do happen to be ok out of the box.

You can also look into upgrading to Cobra front brakes which is as simple as the Cobra calipers and brackets and then order the Cobra rotors and pads. They bolt right up and make a marked difference in braking although the 99-04 cars did get dual piston calipers up front even for the GT. The rotor is just smaller.

I'm going to be upgrading my 2000 to Cobra spec most likely before I even start driving it regularly since the brakes need to be done anyway. I remember test driving my friend's 2004 GT brand new back in 2004 (shakes cane) when I was DDing a 95 Cobra and the VERY first thing I noticed is that my brakes were way better than that car.

Out back you can upgrade to Cobra spec as well but you need to pull the axles to do so. Most ppl just do the Cobra fronts and leave the GT rears for when they need to do a rear fluid drain/fill or a new diff cover.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Gears gears gears gears gears.

If you are looking at brakes, get on Rockauto and order some Raybestos rotors and Centric Posi-Quiet pads. This is the combo I run on all my Mustangs and the parts are superior and the pads work great and there is ZERO brake dust too which is a nice bonus. Do not buy local Napa/Duracrap/Advance rotors, they all have runout issues and will have warping issues later on if they do happen to be ok out of the box.

You can also look into upgrading to Cobra front brakes which is as simple as the Cobra calipers and brackets and then order the Cobra rotors and pads. They bolt right up and make a marked difference in braking although the 99-04 cars did get dual piston calipers up front even for the GT. The rotor is just smaller.

I'm going to be upgrading my 2000 to Cobra spec most likely before I even start driving it regularly since the brakes need to be done anyway. I remember test driving my friend's 2004 GT brand new back in 2004 (shakes cane) when I was DDing a 95 Cobra and the VERY first thing I noticed is that my brakes were way better than that car.

Out back you can upgrade to Cobra spec as well but you need to pull the axles to do so. Most ppl just do the Cobra fronts and leave the GT rears for when they need to do a rear fluid drain/fill or a new diff cover.

Thanks Scotty, I thought you might weigh in. Will the Cobra brakes fit with my stock wheels? I'm thinking that might be the route to go.

I don't have a lot of interest in gears... yet. I like the idea of them but don't like the idea of running higher rpms down the highway. If I upgrade to Cobra brakes on the front, maybe if I eventually do gears I'll switch the backs too and do all seals and stuff in the rear end.

If I can buy those parts from CarQuest, that might be what I do. I was an employee there for 3+ years and still get employee pricing plus they'll warranty just about anything but a battery for me.

So... Cobra rotors, brackets, calipers, pads... Same hoses, master cylinder, etc?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What about the brake kit that comes with rotors/pads on AM for 300. Is that worth?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They'll work as long as you have 17" wheels which you should as a GT. Same lines, same master cylinder. Just buy the parts like you had a Cobra instead of GT.

For the fronts, get the Cobra brackets, Cobra calipers, Cobra rotors, Cobra pads and install. It might be a little pricey but its worth it IMO. If not, then just get some good pads and rotors and call it a day.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds great, what year of Cobra, just 99-04 in general?

I'm guessing that's an install I can handle myself unless there's something crazy I don't know about?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT