Finally getting to the cam install - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
When I goto pay for it I'm gonna be sure to ask how much I'm of a discount I'm getting for the 300$ intake I had to buy and the week it took for it to get done
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lol would not use them. They look like backyard mechanics.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

They actually do good work, I've seen it first hand but they are taking their sweet time, and I agree they should have a fender apron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
This is ridiculous. They need to absolutely pay for that intake. They need to order you a proper Ford Racing intake and replace it. Also give you a discount on top of that for them having your car for 3 times the amount they stated. I would lose my mind on those dudes. Taking too long is one thing if its quality work, but breaking a major component while doing the job is another. They need to take full responsibility for this and fix it right. This has me pissed and its not even my car!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

I'm trying to stay calm about it but I'm forking out a pretty good chunk of money..

I didn't plan of buying a 300$ intake today
Old 09-17-2015, 06:40 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Feel for you bro...they should definitely do something for you if the are worth anything. If not then start putting they're name out there. Camp out one day and tell everyone that tries to go in about how they "take care of the customer" .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Vinnie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

So as much as I would love to post a video of the loping idle, I can't.

I went by today and the first thing one of the shop employees said was man we have been slammed today but he's busting *** on your car..

And I'm sorry but if you have one performance guy you don't pull him off a big job to do some dinky ****..

So I went back to look at the progress and he was still changing the valve seals out on the passenger side..

Tuesday he told me he would be done on Wednesday. So here it is Thursday and he isn't very much further along than he was Wednesday evening..

With that being said I have never been more pissed off in my entire life. I dropped the car off last Wednesday. A cam swap is not a week long job.

This is my only vehicle, my way to work to pay my bills and feed my family. They know that so I would think they would take that into consideration.

They close at 5:30 so I'm going to call about 5:20 and tell them to do what ever they need to do to get this done by tomorrow because I have to have it to get to work and then drive 4 hours south to my hometown to see my daughter and family.

Also once I get it back I will be sure to let everyone I know how ****ty they are for this especially if they don't make it right for how long they have kept it and breaking my intake.

*steps off soapbox*
Old 09-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #78
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney35 View Post
So as much as I would love to post a video of the loping idle, I can't.

I went by today and the first thing one of the shop employees said was man we have been slammed today but he's busting *** on your car..

And I'm sorry but if you have one performance guy you don't pull him off a big job to do some dinky ****..

So I went back to look at the progress and he was still changing the valve seals out on the passenger side..

Tuesday he told me he would be done on Wednesday. So here it is Thursday and he isn't very much further along than he was Wednesday evening..

With that being said I have never been more pissed off in my entire life. I dropped the car off last Wednesday. A cam swap is not a week long job.

This is my only vehicle, my way to work to pay my bills and feed my family. They know that so I would think they would take that into consideration.

They close at 5:30 so I'm going to call about 5:20 and tell them to do what ever they need to do to get this done by tomorrow because I have to have it to get to work and then drive 4 hours south to my hometown to see my daughter and family.

Also once I get it back I will be sure to let everyone I know how ****ty they are for this especially if they don't make it right for how long they have kept it and breaking my intake.

*steps off soapbox*
Step back up on that soap box. This is bull****. Once he hit me with that part about your car not being as important I would have told him to **** himself and get the car put back together because you were leaving.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
For some reason he's afraid of your cam change only reason can think of for this bull****
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #80
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
For some reason he's afraid of your cam change only reason can think of for this bull****
I agree
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
How much are you paying to have these cams installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

I'm well beyond pissed..

Just called them back and told them I needed it tomorrow. I told them that a worker told me Tuesday it would be done Wednesday.

I let them know once again that's my only means of transportation, I need to make a long drive tomorrow.

All he could say was well he still has to do the valve springs and seals on the passenger side and then put the cams in, timing components in and put it back together. So he's got a lot to do. I then replied with well it shouldn't take an entire day to put on sides valve springs and seals in like it did today. It should be a 2-3 day job at the most.

So he said they would try their best but no promises
Old 09-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
How much are you paying to have these cams installed?

600-700 was the original quote. But if it's that or anything more I will be sure to let them know they need to knock off 250$ for my broken intake and keeping it for a week
Old 09-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Dang man. Sucks that this is happening to you.

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Get a rollback go get your car and take it to a competent shop. I sure would not drive on a trip for a couple days after these clowns get it running.rent a car
Old 09-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

I can't get a rental I'm only 20. I need it done and taking it to a shop in pieces would only drag it out longer
Old 09-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i can't get a rental i'm only 20. I need it done and taking it to a shop in pieces would only drag it out longer

just a thought, i won't take a car out of town that i do major work on myself for a couple hundred miles,just to be sure. anyone can make a mistake and this clown doesn't seem to qualified. on top of that, now he's rushed and could make a mistake.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

True. But I can't get a rental so idk what to do here.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True. But I can't get a rental so idk what to do here.

SORRY I FEEL FOE YOU,BEEN THERE WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE. I'LL TRADE YOU MY 70 FOR YOUR 20 IF I CAN KEEP WHAT I HAVE LEARNED.

BUILT MY FIRST ENGINE AT THE RIPE OLD AGE OF 15.

DONE THIS A LOT TOO
Old 09-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #90

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1442542350.409433.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	191284 well look what I found

2003 mustang gt "slowleen"
drew416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

That would be her lmao where are you located? I thought I deleted it haha.. I was gonna sell it to go buy an 01 cobra but never did
Old 09-17-2015, 09:19 PM   #92

St Charles county

2003 mustang gt "slowleen"
drew416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ****, I'm in Jeff city, I'll have to hit you up when I swing thru stl I go thru a couple times a month
Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

So fingers are crossed and I'm accepting prayers that he can the valve springs in on the passenger side and it all done tomorrow but at the speed he's been going it's looking like I won't get it until Monday or Tuesday next week FML
Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

This whole thing is totally ridiculous. They better not charge you more labor since their taking more time! It would seem they have bitten off more than they can chew with this job. And breaking your intake and then charging you for it, is the icing on the cake. You are MUCH more patient than me. This situation is what has stopped me from doing some of the engine upgrades i have been wanting to do. I will say a little prayer tonight for you, lol. And if you do get it back and drive it any distance just be very careful until you know its running right. You wouldnt want to do any damage to your engine, because by the sounds of it these guys wouldnt stand by their work at all!! This is why i need to take a part time auto mechanic class, to be able to tackle the larger projects like this myself, gather all the tools i would need in between, all the tools above the basic "hand tools" that is, i have most of those now.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Wow man I'm sorry, what a nightmare. I hope they make it right for you and the cams exceed your expectations.

dwbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Now that we're questioning the skill level and integrity of the shop I'm starting to worry about the valve clearances with those heavy cams... if they don't get the degreeing and everything just right...

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

They called comp them selves and checked with them on what was necessary for this specific application so I think he knows what he's doing from that standpoint.. Valve springs aren't as easy to change while the engine is in the car
Old 09-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They called comp them selves and checked with them on what was necessary for this specific application so I think he knows what he's doing from that standpoint.. Valve springs aren't as easy to change while the engine is in the car

not that muck harder either.put a piston on top dead center on compression stroke,screw a air hose with a valve into spark plug hole, block crankshaft to keep from turning, put 150 lbs of air in cylinder to keep valve from dropping,compress spring(their is a tool for removal without taking off head) replace valve stem seal and new spring, compress new spring, install keepers,do other valve on that cylinder and move to next and repeat 7 times. a decent tect can do all in less than 4 hrs. if they are working on flat rate manual at least my tects could before I retired.this shop is clutching at straws as to why they are so slow. oh and by the way I would have furnished you a new intake,my screw up my dime. good luck on your trip today
Old 09-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #100
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
not that muck harder either.put a piston on top dead center on compression stroke,screw a air hose with a valve into spark plug hole, block crankshaft to keep from turning, put 150 lbs of air in cylinder to keep valve from dropping,compress spring(their is a tool for removal without taking off head) replace valve stem seal and new spring, compress new spring, install keepers,do other valve on that cylinder and move to next and repeat 7 times. a decent tect can do all in less than 4 hrs. if they are working on flat rate manual at least my tects could before I retired.this shop is clutching at straws as to why they are so slow. oh and by the way I would have furnished you a new intake,my screw up my dime. good luck on your trip today
This is what I am doing except the motor will be on a stand woot woot

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Went by today and he had the cams in and was working on getting the new timing components back in, then getting it back together so a lot more progress was made and that was at 3:30 so idk how far he got done by closing time which is at 5:30

Will have it back Monday for sure tho
Old 09-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Well at least there is an end in sight! Lets hope it all was worth it for your sanity. Maybe it will be so awesome you will forget about the bad experience.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

I'm hoping so.. And also apparently I was getting two different stories. The guy doing the actual install said they were slammed and he didn't have much time to put on it yesterday but the worker said he had been busting *** on it.. So I'm not as shocked that he didn't get much done now that I know they were really busy
Old 09-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
That's one thing service advisors never understand. On paper a job looks simple enough and should be done in a few hours but complications always come up in a big job and then you toss in trying to complete other jobs as well. It was always always constant struggle with my old advisor to try and get her to stop bringing in more work when we are already slammed with work.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This is what I am doing except the motor will be on a stand woot woot

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

and not that much harder,just a few extra steps...don't let the person holding top dead center with the breaker bar slip when you apply the air,that thing will knock you down

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT