Timing Chain and Oil Pump - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Timing Chain and Oil Pump

What is the best parts to use for replacing worn / broken Oil Pump and Timing Chain?

I am leaning towards the Ford Racing on American Muscle website.
Item#: 50168 Ford Racing High Volume Oil Pump
Item#: 50393 Ford Racing Camshaft Drive Kit

Anyone have issues with one brand or another. Will this timing kit fit a stock motor and cams? It seems to be complete instead of having to piece it out.
drewjunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I would only use stock ford parts but that's just me so ford racing then yes

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Definitely use OEM parts when it comes to that kind of thing. There is SO much that goes into integrating all of the parts into the design of an engine. The elasticity of the metals, hardness levels, friction quantities, vibration mitigation, and stress distribution are all integrated very well with an OEM part that has been thoroughly developed.

If you're not using it to gain performance (and are okay with sacrificing reliability to gain performance), go with OEM

Source- (I work in an engineering lab for a large engine manufacturer) Engineers/manufacturers go through 2 or 3 prototype parts before ever finding something even worth putting into production, and then that part will go through constant changes throughout time. Thats just ONE part of the entire engine. You know that rocker arm on your engine? That probably took 3 engineers several months to perfect--(here comes the hard part)== with their given budget
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
the oil pump is a high volume oil pump, which is different from stock. potentially better for your vehicle since it offers more oil flow, but im not sure if you are supposed to use a high volume pump on a stock oil pan. both should be reliable though, being ford racing, but ford racing is not the same as OE. Like panther said, go with Original Equipment from a ford dealer for the most reliability and peice of mind.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the information, didn't think about Ford Racing and Ford OEM being that different.
Good information to know.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

some of Ford Racing's stuff is more or less stock parts, like the intake manifold.
but the key word is "High Volume" for the oil pump. more of a racing application I believe, but the description says that its great for a daily driver too.
I'm sure its better than what most parts stores carry, but i wouldn't rev too high or race with it without upgrading the oil pain. But maybe the 6 quart stock oil pan is still plenty, that i'm not real sure about.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It will be driven 3 days a week roughly 100 miles daily. Don't race...but do put my foot through the floor when the time is right.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

id imagine you would be fine, but i would look for an oem oil pump if you can find it. But im sure you'd be fine with the high flow.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You do not want a high volume pump in a stock app. I'd go with OEM or a Melling unit for the pump. For timing chains, OEM or FRPP.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I'll second what Scotty said. Unless you have rod and main clearances that have been set up for racing there is no need for other than a stock OE oil pump. The stock pump will be more than adequate for your rebuilt motor.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
The timing chain tensioner is actuated by oil pressure. I would make sure that this pump doesn't over-pressure that. If it does, then it can add stress to the guide that already has issues with breaking. Even if that doesn't break, you don't want the timing chain to have too much tension, because that adds stress and wear.

I am not sure if that would be the case, but good to keep in mind for a DD
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Im not a mod motor guy. But i believe u want a high pressure pump as opposed to high volume if your planning on retaining the stock pan. A high volume pump will suck a stock pan dry.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I've seen high pressure oil pumps erode the radius on crank rod journals...you do not need a high pressure pump and there is no reason to suck the pan dry unless you want to burn up a motor..............besides on a mod motor it's all about the oil pump gear.........
If you want an effective oiling system go dry sump.....I used a standard volume pump on my 650+HP motor for many years and had 80psi cold and 30psi hot...high pressure pumps are a waste of money.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

well, I'm pretty much sold on a stock pump if i ever need one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT