Stock Mach 460 Speakers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Stock Mach 460 Speakers

So I am actually looking at doing some sound system work. Sometimes I like to have a nice sound system, even though my exhaust is the primary audio entertainment.

Can these stock speakers hold much power? I'm thinking a good head unit and amp would deliver cleaner signal. Which means it sounds better at all volumes- will sound louder even when its not sending as much power to the speakers.

Can these speakers sound good with a decent headunit and amp? I don't really want to open up a big budget just for audio. Stock subwoofers would probably just get used as mid-basses or completely junked. I would throw in a pair of real 10"ers in a custom ported box if I wanted low frequency volume.

attention: I am not concerned with "how to wire a system" lol. Mach460 is a good system compared to other OEM systems of the time, but... I have been spoiled by some high quality sound in my other cars and my brothers competition builds. I just want something I can crank some Metallica on the way it was meant to heard!!
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
As you would expect, the speakers suck!
I don't think that they are even adequate for the power of the Mach 460.
I wouldn't waste my time trying to save them for use with a new system.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I see. Are they just non-treated paper or what? I might just try it and see, but I think I'm going to wind up with some actual good speakers.

Got anything you're partial to? I have done comparisons with several speakers running off the same amp at Best Buy's sound sampling station lol. The Alpines they had there were noticeably nicer to listen to than any of the others. Nothing else stood out, except for how bad the Sony ones sounded haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've used JL, Rockford fosgate, JBL and alpine. Those were my faves. The Rockford fosgate primes were 6 1/2, and I loved em. I have JBL 6x8s in the mustang now. They sound great, but no amp. I'm installing one real soon so I'll give you an update. And I like Kenwood excelon recievers. My favorite so far. Nice sound tweaking ability. Better than my old alpine head unit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and the jbl's are on the budget end. Haven't had the luxury of component speaker systems, or the finances for it.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sony was the vendor that supplied the 460 for Ford.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Sony was the vendor that supplied the 460 for Ford.
That explains the lack of clarity and warmth in the sound lol
Old 09-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I went all pioneer 6x8 what a difference

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Infinity makes a nice sounding speaker as well. I have had several JVC headunits throughout the years and have been happy with them. Kenwood does make some nice units also, ive had a couple of those too. Never been happy with any Alpine products i have used.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Pioneer makes some good stuff, they will have drasticaly different grades of quality though depending on where you buy from my experience

Old 09-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I've had some JVC head units as well. I think they are the best sound for the money.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I've got the Mach in the Steeda too. It honestly sounds ok if you are primary exhaust and just want to have some music for cruising on the highway. I usually try to avoid the Mach460 cars but this one was not one I could pass up.

My advice which I will be following when I do go to upgrade this sound system. Full gut of the Mach stuff and run new speaker wire and everything. Good HU, good amps, good speakers and gut the triangle tweeters and make sure to install something good in there. Will be stealth and look stock but when you turn it on ppl who know audio will instantly know its not a factory radio.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Best of both worlds, keep your numbered Cobra looking stock but upgrade the sound system

Old 09-19-2015, 12:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Whatever you end up with let us know. My car has a old JVC unit that needs to be upgraded, no bluetooth etc, plays Ipod thru a cable that is in my glove box. I will be intetested in your feedback to possibly help influence my purchase, lol. I want to put a 10" sub, just in the trunk. I dont have the Mach system. I already upgraded my stock speakers to with 4 good Infinty speakers, just want more depth as im not too into sound systems, but i do appreciate a nice sounding one. My daily has me spoiled as far as sound systems go. Its a Kia Optima SX, has premium sound with Infinity tweeters, Infinity mids, and Infinity 8" sub (upgraded). Best sounding all around system i have had in a car.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I will definitely update this thread when I do it. My brother is pretty serious about car audio so I'm gonna have him on the lookout for the hot deals on good HU and speakers.

In the meantime, I just ordered some Mac Flowpaths straight from macperformance.com So I have to pace myself on how quickly I buy things lol.

Can't wait till those get here-- Gonna weld them into my stock cat back with stock H pipe. Should sound mild and well-toned. If not Ill just get an O/R H pipe lol. I want it sounding deep and angry at low RPM, and tone like a pro-lites stock car at high RPM. Not too loud though, because I actually drive this car daily and sometimes I'm just not in the mood to shatter me poor little eardrums lol
Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Guess I'm the only one who likes the Mach 460? Lol. I do plan to add subs though eventually.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Guess I'm the only one who likes the Mach 460? Lol. I do plan to add subs though eventually.

Mach 460 is good, relative to other OEM car audio systems.

Some of us are more picky- Once you become an audiophile, you pretty much have to build your own stereos. Even the newest luxury car's OEM audio quality disappoints some people
Old 09-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Mach 460 is good, relative to other OEM car audio systems.

Some of us are more picky- Once you become an audiophile, you pretty much have to build your own stereos. Even the newest luxury car's OEM audio quality disappoints some people
Very much quoted for truth. I used to to stick my nose in the air to mp3 audio. Took a while to train myself to stop caring so much. Eventually I got myself to be just fine with listening to music off my phone with the sound system I have now. But I've found myself looking to add some power to the speakers again. Also grew out of "big banging 12 inch subs" over the years, and currently using 2 8-inch subwoofers. I like a good amount of bass inside without being "that guy" on the outside.

While we're on the topic, have you seen anyone blaring rap music from the outside of their car with speakers mounted in the bumper? God I hate that.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
"big banging 12 inch subs" over the years, and currently using 2 8-inch subwoofers. I like a good amount of bass inside without being "that guy" on the outside.

While we're on the topic, have you seen anyone blaring rap music from the outside of their car with speakers mounted in the bumper? God I hate that.

People actually mount speakers in the bumper and drive around with it playing? Lmao. I can picture what they look like too. Ghetto all the way, cocky as the day is long, and an IQ of 80. No other explanation for doing that, or the donked rims that go with it :p

I know guys who can be "that guy"-- Subwoofers you can hear from almost a mile away. But they drive around town politely and don't feel the need to bang their subs for everybody at the stoplight lol.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So I went to Best buy today (big mistake)

Started listening to their car audio display (what was I thinking)

Told the dude to grab me this head unit off the shelf: Sony CD BuiltIn Bluetooth Satellite RadioReady InDash Receiver with Detachable Faceplate Black MEXN5100BT - Best Buy

I also got the very last Alpine SPS-610 speakers they had left.

This was the clearest sounding head unit they had there, and the Alpine SPS speakers sounded significantly better than the kickers which were in second place IMO.

I installed the head unit at home immediately after pulling in. It took 40 minutes because I was on the phone with my girlfriend.

The sound quality doubled, and the volume is way stronger despite the 100% stock speakers that are in it right now.

I'm going to put the alpine speakers in tomorrow, and I think that will improve it even more.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

You went to Best Buy for audio? That's like buying your performance parts at Autozone!

Although back before LED TVs were a dime a dozen I got a screaming good deal from them on one of their store brand Insignia LED TVs and its still rocking to this day.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=scottydsntknow;2297104]You went to Best Buy for audio? That's like buying your performance parts at Autozone!

[QUOTE]

Yeah I know haha, but I will go there for head units. I can directly compare the head units back to back with a variety of speakers. I'm not willing to spend more than $150 on a head unit anyway, so its not like the quality of the ones at best buy is insufficient for my intents and purposes.

I'm buying subwoofers and amps off the interwebs because I already know what I want. Best buy did not have any good subwoofers, 6x9s, or amps

To my surprise, the JVC head units did not sound as good as this sony head unit, in my opinion. I would not have known that if I did not go to good ol best buy and listen to them in person! Especially with it being Sony-- I normally don't like their stuff and would not otherwise have considered this head unit.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just be aware that shoe-horning 6x9s into the Mustang speaker openings can cause some rattling. I guess nothing a dremel can't handle but still. 6x8 is the correct size.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I took one look at how this Mach 460 system is actually set up, and it really looks like they went out of their way to make it impossible to work with lol.

I am going to remove every bit of it and then ceremoniously light it on fire.

Then I will replace it with wiring that makes sense, amps that make sense, and subwoofers that actually are subwoofers
Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I took one look at how this Mach 460 system is actually set up, and it really looks like they went out of their way to make it impossible to work with lol.

Then I will replace it with wiring that makes sense, amps that make sense, and subwoofers that actually are subwoofers
Lol good system for back when it was new but it is a pain in the ***

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

sell it. there are people out there who like it and want to keep parts for replacements. a buddy of mine had to replace one of his amps because it was draining his battery.

and the resistance is different than most normal systems. its like 6 or 8 ohms, as opposed to the common 4 ohm speakers. This is usually the problem people run in to. and the common thing to do with it is keep it as a whole, or get rid of it entirely.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

The problem people run into with the Mach system is they don't do any freaking research and think its the same thing as a regular system when installing a HU and then get all bent out of shape when it isn't and then just try to wire it in anyway and then make forum posts about how much it sucks. #runonsentence

HU hooks up to the Mach system easy with the amp harness adapter with the analog dials and then the 12-5amp stepdown for the power so it doesn't pop when you turn it on. This setup is fine for most ppl.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The problem people run into with the Mach system is they don't do any freaking research and think its the same thing as a regular system when installing a HU and then get all bent out of shape when it isn't and then just try to wire it in anyway and then make forum posts about how much it sucks. #runonsentence

HU hooks up to the Mach system easy with the amp harness adapter with the analog dials and then the 12-5amp stepdown for the power so it doesn't pop when you turn it on. This setup is fine for most ppl.
My head unit went in without issue and it was pretty much a no-brainer. I don't even deal with the popping issue, actually. With just a head unit, the system sounds good. I would be okay with the small flaws in the sound if it were not mine.

But I want to hear everything in the song, and it can't be weak in any area. Sound systems are pretty cheap so might as well just get the best sound you can, within reason.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

yea, Ive been battling with my mid range lately. using my phone with google play music as the source, which is less than ideal when being picky with audio. but ive been juggling between the phones volume and the head unit volume, and the filters between the head unit and the amplifier.
crank the phone volume and you get awesome bass but loss in quality (minor distortion) in the mid ranges. turn the phone down and the mid range sounds nice and clean, but the lows dont kick as much. next step ill adjust the gain on the subs a bit. one of these days i will get the sound i want without forking out more money. I'm hoping i dont have to change out my JBL speakers, but if i do, I am saving up for component speakers.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

One of my old Androids did USB audio out and it was glorious.

Honestly the best setup I've had and what I am going to do with the silver car is a good HU with a USB port in front. The low profile "button" or whatever they are called USB sticks hold 64gb and are affordable these days. Load one of those up with music and just stick it in there and forget about it till you need to put more music on it. They're all USB3 too so they move a metric assload of files really really fast. Screw USB or 3.5mm cords or any of that BS.

You could also just Bluetooth the phone to the HU if it supports it, I'm not sure I would buy a HU that didn't have BT anymore.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yea, Ive been battling with my mid range lately. using my phone with google play music as the source, which is less than ideal when being picky with audio. but ive been juggling between the phones volume and the head unit volume, and the filters between the head unit and the amplifier.
crank the phone volume and you get awesome bass but loss in quality (minor distortion) in the mid ranges. turn the phone down and the mid range sounds nice and clean, but the lows dont kick as much. next step ill adjust the gain on the subs a bit. one of these days i will get the sound i want without forking out more money. I'm hoping i dont have to change out my JBL speakers, but if i do, I am saving up for component speakers.
One option you might like is a 2 way speaker that has a capacitor crossover built in. It operates like a component system and can sound really good.

They cost less than a component system
Old 09-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

capacitor crossover, ill keep that in mind when im looking. Im assuming the run of the mill 2/3 way speakers just have passive crossovers? or is that what the capacitors are? i know they usually have a basic crossover wired in, but nothing special. I run the fronts at like, 220hz and up. the rears probably 80 or 100. something and up. 220 is the highest hpf my head unit will do. and the subs lpf is at 100 or so. running 2 8 inch mtx subs, and they start to sound bad when i run a frequency above 100 through them. simple filters like this can make even some cheap speakers and systems sound their best. but i wanna try out my 12 inch sub when i can, and possibly change out a pair of speakers for components to handle the 80+ range better.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
capacitor crossover, ill keep that in mind when im looking. Im assuming the run of the mill 2/3 way speakers just have passive crossovers? or is that what the capacitors are? i know they usually have a basic crossover wired in, but nothing special. I run the fronts at like, 220hz and up. the rears probably 80 or 100. something and up. 220 is the highest hpf my head unit will do. and the subs lpf is at 100 or so. running 2 8 inch mtx subs, and they start to sound bad when i run a frequency above 100 through them. simple filters like this can make even some cheap speakers and systems sound their best. but i wanna try out my 12 inch sub when i can, and possibly change out a pair of speakers for components to handle the 80+ range better.
Yeah the capacitor just acts as a high pass filter. Its a cheaper way to do it, but you can't tune that system in very easily.

Decent 2 way speakers come with them

Good 2 ways come with them and they are actually effective
Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

since its the topic of car audio, lets talk fuses for a second.
Im about to put in a 2 gauge wire. Im about to order a fuse for it, but its like, 175 amps. I calculated my system, with its rms, to need about a 60 amp fuse. I am using a distribution block close to the amplifiers, and it is fused as well. I could safely leave the 175 in place, and adjust the fuses in the distribution block to what i need for each amp/smaller wire that runs to it, right? i figure a 50 for the sub amp, and a 15 for the speaker amp. (has a 15 built in and its only 45rms per channel) the 175 will protect the 2 gauge, and the other 2 fuses will individually protect the wires going to the amps, correct? im no electrical engineer, but i tried to do as much research as i could to prevent a car fire.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm happy with the Mach 460. I even bought the rear amp tray when mine was missing when I bought it. So I'm that guy who will buy the mach system, lol. Hooking up a HU is easy. Don't see how people run into problems. Just recently hooked mine up. Crutchfield has all the required wires needed. Just buy them off Amazon for much cheaper.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443630561211.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	191678  
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT