Coyote vs 2v crate - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Wow ... this thread is all about nut swinging.

2V's are a waste of money, unless you already have one with a blower.

Coyote's aren't special. Neither are LSx engines.

Either one will do what the op wants done.

I know that if you swap a Coyote from an F150 and not put on the mustang parts, they are absolute turds. If 330 whp and 5 wtq is what you want, go for it.

As for a swapped new edge running 10's/11's with an NA Coyote and a stripped interior .. not impressed. Fbody's have been doing that since the 90's with their original engine.

Is that boosted Coyote supposed to be fast? Full size trucks with boosted 5.3's have went faster.

Hell, there is a guy in Indy that has an S10 with a stock 5.3 that ran an 8.19 @ 167.97 a few weeks ago and he's ran that truck for at least three years now.

Or what about this 4.8 LS Fox that went 8.83 @ 153?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=61&v=X964K_piYz8

To say Coyote > 5.3 makes you look ignorant.

The Coyote (mustang) is a better bolt on engine than a 5.3 LS, not going to argue that it's not. However, if you want big FI power on a budget, you cannot touch the iron block LS engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A actual junk yard 5.3 is a POOR mans build. That's it plain and simple.

I like lsx motors. But this was about 2v vs coyote not some nutswinging
Lsx junkyard and carbed build crap.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
A actual junk yard 5.3 is a POOR mans build. That's it plain and simple.

I like lsx motors. But this was about 2v vs coyote not some nutswinging
Lsx junkyard and carbed build crap.

and fed coyote.
5.3 Chevy has 2 valves :p
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Coyote vs 2v crate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
5.3 Chevy has 2 valves :p

That's nice. And the slow *** NA cobra has 4 so............

So why don't you pull it out and put your 5.3 in it. Bc your going to 💩a 🐄 once you see how much it will take to make that NA cobra fast.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

I'm waiting for someone to tell me I can sell my car and just go get an old Pinto for $100 and throw a giant junkyard engine in it on the cheap. It's cool if you want to do that and your only goal is max hp for min cash, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bullitt310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That S10 is badass.

I don't know how those Mustangs are running those times at the track without getting kicked out for no roll bar. That Chevy powered Fox actually needs a roll cage to comply with NHRA safety requirements.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt310 View Post
I'm waiting for someone to tell me I can sell my car and just go get an old Pinto for $100 and throw a giant junkyard engine in it on the cheap. It's cool if you want to do that and your only goal is max hp for min cash, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Well, I would go with a Coyote then. You are going to have to do some research to determine what all is involved with keeping it emissions legal though.

Is your car a Bullitt?
Old 09-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
That's nice. And the slow *** NA cobra has 4 so............

So why don't you pull it out and put your 5.3 in it. Bc your going to 💩a 🐄 once you see how much it will take to make that NA cobra fast.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
I could have my car in the 11s at full weight for under $600.

wouldn't be the first guy to do it either
Old 09-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
11's aren't fast.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Well, I would go with a Coyote then. You are going to have to do some research to determine what all is involved with keeping it emissions legal though.

Is your car a Bullitt?

I don't think I'd have any emissions issues with a stock coyote or even one with an sc or turbo (within reason).

No, but I'm always asked that. I'm thinking an s550 bullitt will be my new stang of choice, though.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt310 View Post
I don't think I'd have any emissions issues with a stock coyote or even one with an sc or turbo (within reason).

No, but I'm always asked that. I'm thinking an s550 bullitt will be my new stang of choice, though.

The only thing that you might need to do is, have the car inspected by a state approved BAR referee once the work is completed. I think that they issue a sticker or some kind of paperwork stating that the engine swap is indeed emissions legal. That way the smog technicians don't give you a hard time when you go in for the biennial test.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #47
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
As for a swapped new edge running 10's/11's with an NA Coyote and a stripped interior .. not impressed. Fbody's have been doing that since the 90's with their original engine.

Is that boosted Coyote supposed to be fast? Full size trucks with boosted 5.3's have went faster.
Full weight car with only about 8psi in a manual for the 9 second car. You're comparing it to cars/trucks with probably 20-25psi through an auto. The Orange NA swapped car is almost full weight (he took out the seats for that day only). Also through a manual, and no modifications to the engine. The title of your video even starts off saying "1,000+ horsepower...............". 400whp minimum difference.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison on your part.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #48
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I still vote coyote as better.

Even Griggs decided to drop an Aluminator XS right in without touching it.

But i guess i don't count since i care more about a car's finesse and overall ability instead of just a big boom in a straight line. My N/A 2v is already way too heavy for my liking. A 5.3 with a turbo set up front would be boat anchor. Unless it is a dedicated drag car the weight will be extremely noticeable when driving around.

HID end all thread
Old 09-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #49
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
If you are thinking about swapping motors and the car still has to go through California DMV....the Chevy motor would fail DMV.......It needs to be a Ford motor to pass...........and I'm not sure how much variance in the year you would be able to get buy with...........check with your DMV before you take any direction on swapping motors. One of the reasons I moved out of California..........tired of the views towards people that want to modify their cars.......new or old.
Personally I'd just go with the Coyote.........
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

You can put a Chevy engine into a Ford chassis but it will need ALL of the emissions equipment installed, to comply with the emissions standards that were required on that model year of vehicle.
It doesn't really matter what make that you choose, as long as the emissions and engine control system meet the standards of the model year of the vehicle, or newer. The car wll need to be inspected by a state approved referee, before it is smogged, for ANY engine swap.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #51
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
You can put a Chevy engine into a Ford chassis but it will need ALL of the emissions equipment installed, to comply with the emissions standards that were required on that model year of vehicle.
It doesn't really matter what make that you choose, as long as the emissions and engine control system meet the standards of the model year of the vehicle, or newer. The car wll need to be inspected by a state approved referee, before it is smogged, for ANY engine swap.
Unless you are smog exempt

HID end all thread
Old 09-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
Where there is a will, there is a way...
Old 09-19-2015, 10:15 PM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Maybe California DOT/DMV have changed since 2009 when I tried to put a 347sbf into a 96 Sonoma...........they would not approve it as the motor was older than the year of the truck and it wasn't a Chevy engine.........I paid $150 to find out I would have to apply for a new pink slip and could not license the truck in California......I was in Redding at the time.
I would check with your local DMV/DOT before looking at a swap............IMHO
I also spent over $600 to get a new title for my 31 Model A Hot Rod that I already had the pink slip on..............seems because my flathead V8 Motor did not have the same vin at the frame...........................took me almost 6 months to get that straightened out plus the cash.................
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't say that it was EASY!
You can mix and match engines and chassis' but you can not use a older engine in a newer chassis. All you had to do is put 96 or up engine block in for "testing". And probably jump through a bunch of other hoops, as well.
The 31 must have not had any readable serial numbers present on the frame or body. Or maybe CA registration is just so complex and confusing that the bureaucrats don't even understand it! I suspect the latter...
They would rather that you not monkey around with the car. Period. But if you are persistent enough, and patient enough, there are laws that allow car enthusiasts to pursue their endeavors, without too much interference.

I also, strongly, encourage Bullitt to do some research before deciding on an engine swap.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=straybullitt;2294153]there are laws that allow car enthusiasts to pursue their endeavors [QUOTE]

Laws can't "allow" things.
Laws can only Restrict things.

That's why you can do whatever you want when there are no laws lol
Old 09-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
Believe it or not, there are some that actually protect us from our government.
Craziness!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate all the advice on the emissions issue. I'll definitely look into that more as I start making the move.

I guess now my main question is whether I want to save $ and just go stock coyote and eventually do some bolt-ons and/or a power adder, or just do the XS and call it a day.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol.
Believe it or not, there are some that actually protect us from our government.
Craziness!
Yeah those laws restrict our government. They used to anyways lol. What actually protects us from our government is the fact that we are still heavily armed lol. They might have bigger guns, but we out-gun them with brute quantity. Plus you can't really win a war against your citizens-- cuz they would be dead after and you still don't get to be the king lol
Old 09-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #59
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Yeah those laws restrict our government. They used to anyways lol. What actually protects us from our government is the fact that we are still heavily armed lol. They might have bigger guns, but we out-gun them with brute quantity. Plus you can't really win a war against your citizens-- cuz they would be dead after and you still don't get to be the king lol
I'm active military, trust me civilian firearms all added up together don't even scratch the firepower the military has.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #60
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I might have guns but I don't like my odds against tanks lol
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
While we're off topic Scotty check your PM I sent you one

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm active military, trust me civilian firearms all added up together don't even scratch the firepower the military has.

If they unleashed the military's full firepower onto the citizens that paid for it, how many soliders do you think would defect and/or go rogue with it and be on the people's side?
Old 09-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
A lot more than people think most likely
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
They have books on it. 20% rule. If just 1 in 5 soldiers follow the law and their oath and refuse to unlawfully attack US citizens each and every combat unit would be rendered combat ineffective.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #65
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Ugh not getting into an argument of a situation that will never ever happen.

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. It would never happen.

The US government would just hire the Russians to come in and do their dirty work.
Like in Red Dawn.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Jesus, this thread is seriously the most interesting one I've seen in a looooong time! From 2v VS coyote, and 4v N/A turds, to lsx pros and cons... But the curve ball was definitely the highly unlikely hypothetical scenario of an internal civil war... Man and I ran out of popcorn yesterday!

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Just shows no matter where we're from or what we believe cars are always a common ground we can agree on..at least in the fact cars are good

Old 09-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredvet View Post
Just shows no matter where we're from or what we believe cars are always a common ground we can agree on..at least in the fact cars are good

Perhaps a shipment of Mustangs to Iran will help quell the "Death to America" chants

Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Roguestang;2294671]4v N/A turds[QUOTE]

hey now, I has one of dem

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT