'03 Convertible Rear Driver's Side Window HELP NEEDED!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
'03 Convertible Rear Driver's Side Window HELP NEEDED!!!

So recently, the rear power window in my 2003 convertible stopped working. Initially, I thought that it was the switch, but after testing it, it became apparent that it was at least the motor. I removed the rear seat, door panel, dust cover to find that the glass had come off the track. The motor is fine. I was amazed to find that the glass is apparently connected to the track by some type of glue only. No bolts etc. No means to align it, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to reattach the glass to the frame and get it inside the body. There has to be a trick to doing this. How do I get it in? How do I align it? I'm a pretty capable guy with regard to mechanical ability, but I just can't seem to find the forest through these trees. Does anybody know the Glass for the rear drivers side window in at 2003 mustang convertible? I am confident, that after some time, the passenger side will go as well as this is clearly a design flaw. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
mcdegga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Can you provide some pictures? I did my front driver's window which had come out of the track and was held in place with adhesive. I purchased 3M channel bonding and sidelite adhesive. My glass had faint staining of the outline on it where the channel sat, so I was able to put it back exactly where it originally was placed from factory. If you can maneuver around in the area, using a light you may see where the glass belongs. I promise this glue I used will hold it. Also, if you do get it fixed, you may wish to do a YouTube video on it so others can follow what you did.
yogibooboorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #3

Thanks. I'll post pictures in a few minutes.

I'm pretty sure I can get it reasonably aligned as the adhesive is still on the glass and I can trace around it with permanent ink (It'll be hidden when installed). My real problem is how to get the glass inside the body. If I have the track assy. installed, I can't reach (or see) the back of the assy. to mount the glass AND I can't get the whole assy. in if the glass is installed outside of the car. This is tough. I'm going to take pictures now. Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give.

Thanks for the clue in about the 3M adhesive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #4

Here are the pictures. This is beyond frustrating. The good news is that while the rear seat was out, I was able to fix a weak convertible top motoe and I will be able to lube the rear window track. The bad news is that the reason for removing the rear seat is still there. I can't figure out how to get the flippin' window in and mount it to the regulator. I can get the window in by lowering it from the top, but then I won't be able to align it or glue it. It's very tight in there.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I believe that off color tannish panel can be removed( the one behind the spring). That may help. Just pry it loose. Also the body trim with weather seal can be removed which widens the opening the glass drops into.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #6

Nope. Optical illusion. Everything you see there is metal. That tan part is the inside of the outer skin. The white dots are the pegs which hold on the fake side scoops on the outside of the car. The spring is a tensioner for the lower corner of the convertible top.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Try removing all of the trim and rubber that surrounds the channel into which the glass travels. It has to allow the glass and associated channel to drop in.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #8

No rubber there at all. Evrey part that could be removed has been. There's just a triangular plate which the glass gets glued onto. there are three circular points and three corresponding holes in the base of the glass BUT the holes in the glass are about 1/4 inch wider than the corresponding circles on the mounting plate so you can't use those for mounting. It is a very poor design.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The rubber weather seal that keeps water out when glass is up on the outside of the fender/body is removeable. It is a channel that is live rubber which rides against the glass when in the up most position. There is a piece pointed out by this person on this video about 28 seconds into the vid:
Old 09-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #10

I removed that, but that still doesn't allow for gluing the glass to the frame. I can get the glass in, and haven't touch the frame, but cannot see enough to glue it or hold it while it is drying
Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well then I guess you will have to go to junk yard and get one glued to put in, Ford used that silly silicone and it is worthless.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #12

I can glue it together while outside the car...getting it into position once assembled is the problem.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

There just has to be a way! If the factory can do it so can we
Old 09-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Can the plate that the window regulator was bolted to, be removed? I know on the older fox body stangs, the plate could be removed.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Suction cups to hold it?

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #16

Excellent! The plate can be removed! I can't believe I missed that! You guys rock! I'm on this! I'll pick up the adhesive in the morning and do this! Thanks !
Old 09-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Great keep us informed.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #18

Will do! Thanks again!
Old 09-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #19

All done. What a crap design this is. The trick was removing the plate and using the 3M adhesive. I mared the outline of where the plate and glass met my matching up the plate and glass using the residual adhesive as a guite. Marked it with a sharpie (as it is hidden below the weatherstripping when installed). Glued and clamped for an hour and voila! Done. Installed in the car by loosely fitting the regulator and adjusting the bolts while moving the window up and down to correct aligment.

Took no video, because I'm a knucklehead.

Thanks for all the help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT