Opinions on what I should do - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Opinions on what I should do

So some info on my car and situation:
I have a supercharged GT making 520 rwhp. I currently have 255/40-18 Sumitomos on the front and 295/35-18 BFG drag radials on the back. These are on 18x9.5 rims. I need some new tires for the back because the drag radials suck in the rain. I daily drive the car and would say I am a pretty aggressive/spirited driver.

I would like to get rid of my current rims for some Saleens as soon as possible. They come in 17 and 18s and I would prefer the 17 but it's not a huge deal, just depends on which I can find used. My problem is is that I can't decide whether to just cheap out on the Sumis until I can find some rims and/or tires or to get the BFG g-force Comp2s/Continental ExtremeContacts and only look for 18" rims so that they can be swapped over to the saleen rims that I get

The links for the three:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

So I think I've decided that I will not get the sumitomos and focus on looking for 18" saleens. Now the problem is that I don't know which tire to pick between the continental or bfg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would go bfg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
BFG sport comp 2s. Ive researched these after Scotty had mentioned them and their an awesome tire for the money.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If I decide to go for the all-seasons, the BFGs will definitely be my choice. But I have another question...
For all-seasons, there really aren't anything wider than 275. I feel like I'd prefer the summer tire's traction and the greater varieties width-wise, I'd like to run a 295 or maybe 315. My question is, do you think I can get by with a summer tire year round? I live in South Carolina so I don't have to worry about driving in any snow (everything's closed if it snows) but it will be freezing temperatures for probably a month, maybe two. I can take it easy in the lower temps, but just don't want to get tires that I pretty much can't use. Also what width tire do you guys recommend for my power level? I'm sure at some point there is overkill
Old 09-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I think you should be ok if youre careful. Just remember those summer tires will be like an ice skate when its cold out. I live in michigan and could never get away with it, but some people do around here.

Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ya i lived in va all my life i think u be ok, if it snows just dont drive it because its too risky no matter what and u dont want someone to plow into ur baby , most of the other conditions itll be ok but thrive in good conditions in which thats the only one mustangs like anyway lol, but u made over 500 hp, whats ur blower and motor setup? Mines right at 400 but i didnt wanna go anymore cuz reliability becomes a concern when the bottom end is not forged , plus im sure my fuel system at 500 will start leaning out on me... Right now cant even drive it cuz im laid up broken leg sux lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
I think you should be ok if youre careful. Just remember those summer tires will be like an ice skate when its cold out. I live in michigan and could never get away with it, but some people do around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyreaper View Post
Ya i lived in va all my life i think u be ok, if it snows just dont drive it because its too risky no matter what and u dont want someone to plow into ur baby , most of the other conditions itll be ok but thrive in good conditions in which thats the only one mustangs like anyway lol, but u made over 500 hp, whats ur blower and motor setup? Mines right at 400 but i didnt wanna go anymore cuz reliability becomes a concern when the bottom end is not forged , plus im sure my fuel system at 500 will start leaning out on me... Right now cant even drive it cuz im laid up broken leg sux lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Looks like I am going to be looking for some summer tires now lol.
I've got a 2.1 Kenne bell at 14 psi with a MMR 950 5.0 stroker motor with Trickflow Twisted Wedge heads and Comp 270 cams. Eventually I'm going to step up to the 2.6/2.8 kenne bell but I'm content for now lol. Mine leans out around 6100 with dual cobra pumps and 60# injectors

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT