Need help with p1151 code. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Need help with p1151 code.

I buy and flip cars all the time and I am used to them having check engine lights and little issues but prepare myself to fix them before selling them on. But I bought this 1998 GT and it didn't pop a check engine light until after I had driven it for almost a week. It's a p1151 which is for the oxygen sensor circuit heat switch. I've read online and had a few mechanic friends tell me that is almost always a vacuum leak. In the process of flipping the car I've added some aftermarket parts to appeal to the new buyer but the check engine light came on before I started swapping parts over (mufflers, throttle body and intake, rear oxygen sensors) and I have replaced all the major hoses like coolant hoses and vacuum hoses around the intake. The only place I can find that would have any vacuum leak is the hose that goes to the EVAP purge sensor and it goes down into the passenger side fender. I have no clue how to get to this hose aside from taking the whole fender off lol. Has anybody worked on these rubber hoses or know what I can do to ditch this code?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlwhat View Post
i buy and flip cars all the time and i am used to them having check engine lights and little issues but prepare myself to fix them before selling them on. But i bought this 1998 gt and it didn't pop a check engine light until after i had driven it for almost a week. It's a p1151 which is for the oxygen sensor circuit heat switch. I've read online and had a few mechanic friends tell me that is almost always a vacuum leak. In the process of flipping the car i've added some aftermarket parts to appeal to the new buyer but the check engine light came on before i started swapping parts over (mufflers, throttle body and intake, rear oxygen sensors) and i have replaced all the major hoses like coolant hoses and vacuum hoses around the intake. The only place i can find that would have any vacuum leak is the hose that goes to the evap purge sensor and it goes down into the passenger side fender. I have no clue how to get to this hose aside from taking the whole fender off lol. Has anybody worked on these rubber hoses or know what i can do to ditch this code?

Sent from my iphone using mustang evolution
Possible causes
- Faulty Oxygen Sensor

ALWAYS START WITH FIRST LISTED CAUSE,BREAK OUT YOUR DVOM AND CHECK VOLTAGE OUTPUT FROM OXYGEN SENSOR. GOOGLE THE CODE IF YOU DON'T HAVE MANUAL,NET WILL LEAD YOU THROUGH TEST. JUST ENTER CODE AND OBD2
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
Possible causes
- Faulty Oxygen Sensor

ALWAYS START WITH FIRST LISTED CAUSE,BREAK OUT YOUR DVOM AND CHECK VOLTAGE OUTPUT FROM OXYGEN SENSOR. GOOGLE THE CODE IF YOU DON'T HAVE MANUAL,NET WILL LEAD YOU THROUGH TEST. JUST ENTER CODE AND OBD2

If it was an oxygen sensor I'd be getting the p1051 code which is oxygen sensor fault. Usually the p1151 will Pop when the p1051 does

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Google code just trying to help you should always check first code first.the kast thing on list of 6 things to check is vacuum leak. In 40 something years of working on fords have never seen a vacuum leak cause a code 1151 only worked on the pcm's from 86 till retired in 2001
Old 10-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
Google code just trying to help you should always check first code first.the kast thing on list of 6 things to check is vacuum leak. In 40 something years of working on fords have never seen a vacuum leak cause a code 1151 only worked on the pcm's from 86 till retired in 2001

Yeah I hear you and don't think I'm not appreciative of that as well. I've only got about ten years under my belt but not necessarily on fords the whole time. But people love mustangs and they are easy to fix. Luckily I got this one cheap and despite the check engine light it still runs nice and strong with 98k miles on it.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Yeah I hear you and don't think I'm not appreciative of that as well. I've only got about ten years under my belt but not necessarily on fords the whole time. But people love mustangs and they are easy to fix. Luckily I got this one cheap and despite the check engine light it still runs nice and strong with 98k miles on it.

check those ft o2 sensors
Old 10-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I know it sounds crazy, but have you changed the plugs? I have got that code a couple of times on my 98 GT and it was always the spark plugs. Once I change the plugs, the code doesn't come back until the next time it needs it.

I know it sounds silly, so I have my suit on now.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

P115151CODE

Remove the front passenger side tire and the cover inside the fender. That's where your part is located. It's part of your evaporative system. I had the same problem.
tonyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjuan View Post
Remove the front passenger side tire and the cover inside the fender. That's where your part is located. It's part of your evaporative system. I had the same problem.

That's exactly the response I've been looking for! One of the probable causes for the code is leaks in EVAP system. That's why I assumed that nasty torn up hose going into the fender well was the cause.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0wd0g View Post
I know it sounds crazy, but have you changed the plugs? I have got that code a couple of times on my 98 GT and it was always the spark plugs. Once I change the plugs, the code doesn't come back until the next time it needs it.

I know it sounds silly, so I have my suit on now.

I replaced the plugs with brand new motocraft factory plugs and got the blue ford racing wires as well. Still has stock coils but runs really well. I'm averaging about 18-19 mpg on the highway with 3:73 rear gears.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT