Looking at a Mach 1 swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Looking at a Mach 1 swap

I am going to an auction this next weekend where I know they have a early 00s Mach 1 with 60k miles on it and it's white. It got smacked real hard in the back and is totaled but it still starts and runs despite that. I was wanting to buy the car and swap the whole interior and engine into my 1998GT. Can I literally just swap the engine straight on to my T-45 and switch over computers or run the Mach 1 motor on the 98 computer with custom tuning? Trying to figure out if it would be worth it. The Mach is a automatic right now and I want it to be manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
HiEverything will swap right over. You can use your 98 computer and will have to since the 98 harness is a one off unit. Or you could swap the whole harness from the Mach and get a manual trans harness to adapt it. The t45 will bolt right up. It will be just like any other 4v swap, there are plenty of swap threads to search.

The auto mach does have the cast crank FYI but ppl make way too big a deal about it. Not a problem with the stock rods. Make damn sure you keep and sell the Mach SYM2 computer and the converter and trans as well especially if it's an 04. And the shaker hood setup.

Honestly I would swap all the auto stuff over including the entire wiring harness and put a nice converter in it and run it like that. It will be significantly faster in a straight line if you are worried about 1/4 mile times and the auto mach computer is special in that it actually has faster hardware than any other 04-down computer. Also 96-98th t45s have all sorts of issues of they have not had a rebuild.

Also don't overpay for it... You want to get it so you are only into it for a few $k after you sell all the stuff off it you are not keeping.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
HiEverything will swap right over. You can use your 98 computer and will have to since the 98 harness is a one off unit. Or you could swap the whole harness from the Mach and get a manual trans harness to adapt it. The t45 will bolt right up. It will be just like any other 4v swap, there are plenty of swap threads to search.

The auto mach does have the cast crank FYI but ppl make way too big a deal about it. Not a problem with the stock rods. Make damn sure you keep and sell the Mach SYM2 computer and the converter and trans as well especially if it's an 04. And the shaker hood setup.

Honestly I would swap all the auto stuff over including the entire wiring harness and put a nice converter in it and run it like that. It will be significantly faster in a straight line if you are worried about 1/4 mile times and the auto mach computer is special in that it actually has faster hardware than any other 04-down computer. Also 96-98th t45s have all sorts of issues of they have not had a rebuild.

Also don't overpay for it... You want to get it so you are only into it for a few $k after you sell all the stuff off it you are not keeping.

This is what I was hoping for! I'm more so worried about what wiring I need to play with. I'm sure some things will need to be extended. I'm already running a mishimoto radiator and a SPAL fan set-up so I have tons of clearance up front for the swap.

I honestly don't care about 1/4 times in the lest bit as I have a 2012 5.0 and a 2014 dedicated track car also. This car I bought just to make in to something different. I'm also planning on chopping up the 98 hood and using the shaker set up. I know this is a big project, but I think it will be fun. Only bad thing is that I will be cutting up a perfectly good 98 GT with 98k miles on it.

The T-45 has a rebuild less than a year old with the 26 spline input shaft upgrade, carbon fiber synchros, some billet forks, and a few other little upgrades. I also took the time to upgrade the flywheel and clutch which I learned I will be doing all over again with this swap lol. I'll be switching over from a 6 bolt to an 8 bolt main which means another new flywheel. My stage 2 spec clutch only has about 700 miles on it though. Also did the pilot nearing, throw out bearing, clutch fork, pivot stud and block plate while I had it apart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

You are switching out the crank? I wouldn't even touch the motor honestly. The cast crank in the auto Machs is a 6 bolt flywheel.

As far as wiring tho, the 98GT computer will run it just fine, you can even use the coil packs but I would just get a Red Monster COP conversion harness and roll with that. I think he does one for DOHC COPs, if not you can just buy the SOHC one and reverse the wires.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are switching out the crank? I wouldn't even touch the motor honestly. The cast crank in the auto Machs is a 6 bolt flywheel.

As far as wiring tho, the 98GT computer will run it just fine, you can even use the coil packs but I would just get a Red Monster COP conversion harness and roll with that. I think he does one for DOHC COPs, if not you can just buy the SOHC one and reverse the wires.

I did not know they had a 6 bolt. I was under the impression that all 4v had an 8 bolt. I was going to leave the motor bone stock, but like I said make my 98 look like a Mach on the inside and under the hood. I heard I'll probably have to swap over a lot of A/C components also.. Sounds like tons of fun lol

Old 10-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you have a donor car, almost everything is going to be plug and play although it would be much much easier if this car was a manual.

Ands no, not all 4V had 8 bolt. Anything with a cast crank like a Mark VIII or an auto Mach is 6 bolt crank.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly, what I would do is swap ALL the harnesses and all the wiring in the car to include the fuel system, EVERYTHING to the 98. Then install a manual trans harness and get a manual Mach or GT computer and have it tuned. Plug and play, done, stick a fork in it.

The only thing you are going to run into as an electronics issue is your VSS trans. I have done an OSS trans to VSS harness so I'm sure the other way around can be done too but I'm not sure what the formula would be. Used a speedcal box to get it right on my car.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly, what I would do is swap ALL the harnesses and all the wiring in the car to include the fuel system, EVERYTHING to the 98. Then install a manual trans harness and get a manual Mach or GT computer and have it tuned. Plug and play, done, stick a fork in it.

The only thing you are going to run into as an electronics issue is your VSS trans. I have done an OSS trans to VSS harness so I'm sure the other way around can be done too but I'm not sure what the formula would be. Used a speedcal box to get it right on my car.

I had planned on upgrading to a aeromotive return system to upgrade a little from the stock 98 set-up. I'm guessing an easier option would be to just get a manual Mach trans and harness and run it as though it came straight out of a Mach? I hadn't planned on messing with the trans harness or even pulling the trans to do the swap lol

Old 10-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

The only thing youd have to swap on the Mach harness is the trans piece. The main harness is identical on 99-04 cars except the terminator. No real need to upgrade the fuel system either unless you are going power adder and even then you don't need to do the lines or rails for awhile. The stock rails support an asston of power.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The only thing youd have to swap on the Mach harness is the trans piece. The main harness is identical on 99-04 cars except the terminator. No real need to upgrade the fuel system either unless you are going power adder and even then you don't need to do the lines or rails for awhile. The stock rails support an asston of power.

So does the fact that the car is a 98 matter or you're saying that's if I'm going to run the COPs and everything just like they came off the MACH

Old 10-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm saying swap EVERYTHING over from the Mach to include the fuel system, entire body wiring harnesses, all accessories, everything since you will have a donor car. Then just treat it like an auto to manual swap but you'll already have the manual pedals and clutch cable and stuff. This will be the most painless way if you are going to be swapping the whole interior anyway.

Have you actually procured the auto Mach yet? And what model year is it?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm saying swap EVERYTHING over from the Mach to include the fuel system, entire body wiring harnesses, all accessories, everything since you will have a donor car. Then just treat it like an auto to manual swap but you'll already have the manual pedals and clutch cable and stuff. This will be the most painless way if you are going to be swapping the whole interior anyway.

Have you actually procured the auto Mach yet? And what model year is it?

No I haven't gotten it yet. I contacted the "owner" of the car and they are predicting it will sell for about 4 or 5 grand. I told them I'd give them $2800 cash and they said they would get back with me on that. That was a few days ago. I'm guessing I'm going to have to actually bid on it. I wasn't wanting to do that because then I have to pay fees and everything on it.. Plus get it trailered out of there but if it's a good enough deal then I'll make it happen. Got a side deal working on a 99 cobra longblock as well. But then I'd have to get all the other parts which idk if I want to do that.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Any 4V is going to be a 90% drop in, its not as difficult as you think. It would just be very very nice to have a full donor car and I know you want the interior but depending on what sort of shape your interior is in, its not hard to make it really nice. I've posted pics of my old 98 on here many times and I had that interior looking damn near new.

$5k for that Mach plus whatever your car is worth plus whatever you will pay and what you feel your time is worth minus parting out what you don't use... do that math and see if its worth it to you. My guess is you will be in the $10-$12k range or maybe a little higher. I have seen REALLY nice clean 94-98 Cobras, 99/01 Cobras, Machs and Bullitts go in that price range or below.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I got my 99 Cobra with 46k miles on it for $11,000. Pristine black paint, 5 speed, boner stock, no headaches, and I could re-sell for the same price.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Any 4V is going to be a 90% drop in, its not as difficult as you think. It would just be very very nice to have a full donor car and I know you want the interior but depending on what sort of shape your interior is in, its not hard to make it really nice. I've posted pics of my old 98 on here many times and I had that interior looking damn near new.

$5k for that Mach plus whatever your car is worth plus whatever you will pay and what you feel your time is worth minus parting out what you don't use... do that math and see if its worth it to you. My guess is you will be in the $10-$12k range or maybe a little higher. I have seen REALLY nice clean 94-98 Cobras, 99/01 Cobras, Machs and Bullitts go in that price range or below.

My car is in great shape as is. The only issue it has is the clear coat fading on the roof and hood. I was going to do a repainting of the car once I was done under the hood and everything. I'm guessing I'll swap over as much as humanly possible because that Mach interior is pretty nice. My seats are cloth tan anyhow, and I'm not a huge fan of the tan. I got my 98 at the same auction for slightly over 2 grand and all it needed to be a good daily driver was a throw out bearing and a new clutch. Fixed that up in a afternoon and it's been a great car ever since.

I already have two coyotes and I'm not looking in to buying any more mustangs lol. I love Cobras and everything but honestly the next mustang I will purchase would probably be a 13-14 gt500 or a 16 gt350. And my woman would make me get rid of one of the coyotes to do that. I just want to make a very clean somewhat original Mach 1 tribute in the 94-98 body style. Thought it would be a nice car show car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT