Supercharger pulley size - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Supercharger pulley size

I'm thinking about moving from my 3.33" pulley to the 3.125" but I have concern with my lower end.

I know the stock 4.6 gt engines can only take so much unless you move to forged internals.

My question is, can I move to the 3.125" without potentially blowing my motor and is it necessary to run an intercooler at with a 3.125" pulley?

I'm currently running a stock motor with a vortec V2, cia, and h-pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quadracer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I wouldn't if I was you. You're aren't going to see a significant enough gain to make it worth chancing a blown motor. Plus not running an intercooler makes it even more likely to blow up. Intake air gets too hot as is and boost makes it hotter. I'd save money for a built motor and swap in an intercooler on the side

ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I was thinking about getting a CX racing intercooler kit off of eBay. It looks like in includes everything for around $500.

Give me some background on intercoolers. Will I see a HP gain? Do I need to re-tune my car again?

How much boost do you think I am running now? How much boost can I safely run with stock internals and an intercooler?

How much can I tune my car to (hp to the rear wheels) without blowing the motor.

Quadracer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadracer18 View Post
I was thinking about getting a CX racing intercooler kit off of eBay. It looks like in includes everything for around $500.

Give me some background on intercoolers. Will I see a HP gain? Do I need to re-tune my car again?

How much boost do you think I am running now? How much boost can I safely run with stock internals and an intercooler?

How much can I tune my car to (hp to the rear wheels) without blowing the motor.

You will not notice a seat of the pants gain by installing an intercooler per say. An intercooler will keep your intake air closer to ambient temperatures and allow your engine to breather easier as well as increase combustion potential. Hot air molecules expand and make the air less dense. This affects your air fuel ratio and therefore your power and chance for detonation. There is no need to retune your car unless you are doing a modification that requires more fuel or increases air flow enough to throw off the MAF readings.

Most superchargers that do not run an intercooler run about 5-7 psi where as most intercooled kits run 8-10psi. I'd imagine that you would be okay stepping up to a little more boost if you were intercooled and had a great tuner. The question is if you believe the risk outweighs the reward. Increasing from 5-7psi to 8-10 psi may only be worth another 30-50HP at the peak. You won't see the benefit of that without revving the motor up to make that boost. So at WOT the difference would me night and day but daily driving would feel exactly the same.

ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I've got the CX Racing kit sitting in a box waiting to go on my Paxton when I get the new motor in. Its a good looking kit.

Intercooled I would keep the boost to about 10 psi, non-intercooled 6-8 to be safe.

You will need a new tune for a new pulley yeah... and the intercooler as well. If you change pretty much anything on the motor/blower for a car like that just assume you need a tune.

So first, calculate out your pulley sizes and how much "boost" you actually will be seeing. Run everything by a good tuner and see what he/she says and recommends and go from there. Honestly you should be talking to your tuner about this FIRST.

Blower cams could not hurt either if you have the coin, that is what I am doing on my stock replacement motor even with its stock internals. I will be able to get the max power my internals can take out of way less boost which is easier on everything and a much better powerband as well. Plus that choppy idle you can't get on the newer 4V cars...

One other question... what sort of suspension work do you have done to your car? If you are stock suspension or just lowered with some control arms you will see a MUCH better gain in performance by getting a correct suspension setup installed/dialed in than just trying to squeeze a little more out of an already stressed engine.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT