Cooling off? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Cooling off?

Hey guys! Just wondering about what I can do to make my car run cooler. On around a 68f day with stop and start city driving I'll be sitting at between 210-220f. I feel a noticeable drop in power once the car is this hot as apose to when it's cooler. These readings were from my bama tuner as my temp needle never moves. I'm full of 100 antifreeze. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You could possibly cut the hole in your scoop behind the honeycomb and that could possibly help keep the manifold fairly cool Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1444536634.768454.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	192166

*Everything's legal till ya get caught*
richie895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Do Not Cut that!

1. Water will get in and will damage sensors not to mention the rust will be absolutely horrible..

2. The scoop will rip off your hood going down the highway, more than likely crack your windshield, tear your paint on your hood to shreds and possibly hurt other people on the road..

3.Look into a true fender cold air intake, different thermostat, better electric fans, true heat extracting hood,Not something that's cheap and ghetto rigged..

I know not having that scoop functional sucks but there are many options for cooling the car down..
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015, 05:15 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
100% AF?

AF is NOT a great conductor of heat...go to a proper mix (50/50) consider a cooler tstat
Old 10-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ah you're that guy...haha. I have my scoop cut and I can say from experience that little to no water gets into my scoop, and in the case of heavy rain you can easily cover the hole with a flap but I've driven in rain and have had no water damage done. Now, in the case of debris and leaves and what not getting into the scoop I have a mesh covering the hole and hardly any debris gets in there, and the whole hood flying off...that will probably happen if you do not reinforce the hood, as you can see from the pic I sent, that was another guy on the forum who just put a bolt dead center reusing the old hole from the honeycomb, I haven't reinforced mine as of yet, but it doesn't rattle or shake (for me at least) until I'm up to 80mph+ on the high way, and I rarely use the highway and when I do the speed limit doesn't get past 65 so I'm in no hurry to get it done. As far as being cheap and "ghetto rigged" not everyone has the money to be buying new hoods whenever they please so don't be an ******* bruh, whoever first thought of the idea was pretty clever tbh. This can be temporary if you want to save for a new hood and don't have the cash right away

Old 10-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not being a dick.. But it's happened people cut the honey comb out and cut an opening in the hood so air can come thru and it rips the scoop off, sure if you run bolts thru your hood it may work..

Why not save up the money and do it the right way, "bruh"
Old 10-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Who's "people?" I've read every forum on this topic and yea I hear the occasional "it shakes and rattles at high speeds" but no one has ever had it rip their hood off....and reinforcing it is the only thing you have to do...it won't hurt anything else, so no 'bruh' I ain't Tryna save for a new hood when this cheap method works perfect if you do it correctly but to each his own.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Trying to* and are you 16 and in highschool? Bruh? Lmao..

Why not get a 300-400$ cowl hood they aren't that expensive?

And it wouldn't even cool the engine that much cutting the hole.. If it's summer it's gonna pull in hot air anyway .
Old 10-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Nah I'm 17 and in college and I don't have hundreds laying around to buy parts left and right like you do "mr.grown up with money", xxxx you really calling 400$ not that much...obviously you have reached your goals in life already if you can blow that much and feel perfectly secure, and I use bruh as the more calm term than to start roasting you because I see so many dudes like you who hate on something that's really ingenious of whoever unvented it, like I said xxxx..to each his own, end of convo lmao

Old 10-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

How exactly does 17 and in college work? I'm 21 years old? Also in college I just prefer to talk to people like adults and use proper grammar and not racial slurs.. I'm not saying I'm where I want to be with money but if cooling my temps was my goal I would save up the money and do it right the first time instead of doing something that could work out and could not... Plus ruin your nice factory hood..

Sorry I work my *** off for my money, so no with a good well paying job 300$ isn't that much if you budget yourself..
Old 10-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well my number one focus is my education so I worked hard and graduated a year early and during the time of my high school dilemma I took enough extra college courses to push me to about my sophomore year in college, and yes I did come to you like an adult at first and it's nothing racial (I'm black) but that's how I speak when I'm not trying to be mature, but of course you kept the convo going and couldn't leave well enough alone. As I said I have experience in doing this fabrication to the hood and if done correctly you won't mess anything up and it's not a 50/50 chance if you take your time and do a decent job, I also never said anything about you not working your butt off because I can assure you I make enough money to go all out on my car (500/weekly) but I'd rather save due to the fact that college isn't the cheapest place and I know my future will be more secure due to the fact that I'll have an abundance in my savings when push comes to shove. I'll apologize for any disrespect you felt from my previous comments but as I said, the mod is not that difficult and does not cause as much problems as people assume. To each his own my friend

Old 10-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lol.
Google "Mustang hood scoop flew off".
You will get tired of reading all of the accounts of people's hood scoops flying off!

As for your cooling problem, try.installing a new thermostat before anything else. Get one from Napa auto parts. Don't go to any of the other parts stores... Just Napa.
Or Motorcraft, if you feel like spending a little more.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said I don't doubt that happening that's where the whole reinforce the scoop comes into play, look at the pic I uploaded..thick bolt down the middle of the scoop

Old 10-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Cooling off?

Richie no disrespect to you either lol props to graduating early and getting your education.. But like he just said if you google the scoops flying off it happens a lot.. Not everyone can do it the right way.. I would just wait and save the money to get a t stat or aftermarket good because I hate the factory hood

But college is pricey hell I goto auto body/tech school and I had to buy a 5000$ set of snap on tools lol
Old 10-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie895 View Post
Like I said I don't doubt that happening that's where the whole reinforce the scoop comes into play, look at the pic I uploaded..thick bolt down the middle of the scoop

Yes. You did that correctly but cutting a hole in the hood to try to correct a cooling problem is just a bandaid.
If Ford thought that they needed a hole in the hood to prevent overheating, the car would have come from the factory with a hole in the hood!
Old 10-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
100% AF?

AF is NOT a great conductor of heat...go to a proper mix (50/50) consider a cooler tstat
The maximum recommended antifreeze/coolant to water ratio is 70%/30%. In most climates, there really isn't any need to use more than a 50/50 ratio though.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yes. You did that correctly but cutting a hole in the hood to try to correct a cooling problem is just a bandaid.

If Ford thought that they needed a hole in the hood to prevent overheating, the car would have come from the factory with a hole in the hood!

Ok I understand from an actual cooling pro elm stand point , I honestly did it for the sake of having a "functional" hood scoop, I'm that guy..can't stand the fact of having that on the car. A guy from the forum was saying how his daughter asked him "what's that big scoop thing on the top of the car daddy" and he replied "it's fake" and he said his daughter looked at him like "wtf you buying big hot wheels cars now..?" I started dying laughing lol

Old 10-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney35 View Post
Richie no disrespect to you either lol props to graduating early and getting your education.. But like he just said if you google the scoops flying off it happens a lot.. Not everyone can do it the right way.. I would just wait and save the money to get a t stat or aftermarket good because I hate the factory hood

But college is pricey hell I goto auto body/tech school and I had to buy a 5000$ set of snap on tools lol

Yea I just threw it out as a thought ya know, wasn't meat to fix his problem permanently and provide so much air it's unbelievable or nothing. And tell me about it, I'm studying electrical engineering and books alone for maybe 2 of my classes relating to my major range from 250-400$...this was my big welcome to the real world lol

Old 10-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok I understand from an actual cooling pro elm stand point , I honestly did it for the sake of having a "functional" hood scoop, I'm that guy..can't stand the fact of having that on the car. A guy from the forum was saying how his daughter asked him "what's that big scoop thing on the top of the car daddy" and he replied "it's fake" and he said his daughter looked at him like "wtf you buying big hot wheels cars now..?" I started dying laughing lol

Haha.
Yeah. I know. I'm not thrilled about the fake scoop either.
It is what it is...
Old 10-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Ok to fix some of the bad info in here.....

If you drill through the honey comb, it will NOT fly off on the highway. Now if you were to remove the honeycomb completely then it would because part of it is what helps anchor the scoop onto the hood. Drill through the honey comb and then drill a small section to the hood and you will be fine. I have seen both scenarios many times, and the only times it ever flies off is when you remove the entire honeycomb.

You don't want to run 100% antifreeze. Dilute it 50/50 with distilled water, or you could run just distilled water and water wetter if you don't have to worry about it freezing in the winter.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Yea I just threw it out as a thought ya know, wasn't meat to fix his problem permanently and provide so much air it's unbelievable or nothing. And tell me about it, I'm studying electrical engineering and books alone for maybe 2 of my classes relating to my major range from 250-400$...this was my big welcome to the real world lol

Nothin lol. My Corporate Finance book alone is like $200 lol.

HID end all thread
Old 10-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't know this was such a controversial topic... Lol yeah I'll go to 50/50 . I'll invest in a cowl hood this summer as well

wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawanesa5speed View Post
Didn't know this was such a controversial topic... Lol yeah I'll go to 50/50 . I'll invest in a cowl hood this summer as well

Don't forget to replace the thermostat with a good quality part.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
play nice folks...........
Old 10-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Soccerluvr I really wonder how these conversations go when the topic of book prices come up.."sir we have a new financing textbook up for pricing, what are your thoughts on a reasonable price for these young individuals trying to start a new in this world?" "Naw F*ck em, make all the textbooks for their basics be like $80-100 but then make all the outcasts be like $300+, so like music textbooks, and marketing textbooks and coaching textbooks be like 300+." "Sir don't you think that's a little unfai.." "Man shut yo a** up or you fired, now go get me another beer" lol

Old 10-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Soccerluvr I really wonder how these conversations go when the topic of book prices come up.."sir we have a new financing textbook up for pricing, what are your thoughts on a reasonable price for these young individuals trying to start a new in this world?" "Naw F*ck em, make all the textbooks for their basics be like $80-100 but then make all the outcasts be like $300+, so like music textbooks, and marketing textbooks and coaching textbooks be like 300+." "Sir don't you think that's a little unfai.." "Man shut yo a** up or you fired, now go get me another beer" lol

When you know someone has to buy it, you can raise the price as much as you want.

HID end all thread
Old 10-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Think of all of the money that you guys are going to make with the information contained in those books.
They are priceless!

That is what the publishers are thinking.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Think of all of the money that you guys are going to make with the information contained in those books.
They are priceless!

That is what the publishers are thinking.
Most of my books aren't even used.... Now my professors, they are gold mines.

My Financial Management professor has 2 undergraduate degrees, 5 Masters degrees, and a doctorate degree. The work is killer, but i walk out of each class having learned so much. This class i actually care more about learning the material instead of just passing. So many people hate him, but i really like this professor.

HID end all thread
Old 10-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cooling off?

I used to hire people out of school mostly engineers. Book smart < actually knowing what your doing. Sorry buddy it's a lot different outside that classroom.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I paid 400 for my English book that was required and was a graded assignment. Never freaking touched the darn thing. To all those going to college. CHeck chegg.Com and never pay full price again. 1/4 the price and keep it weeks after the semester.

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I used to hire people out of school mostly engineers. Book smart < actually knowing what your doing. Sorry buddy it's a lot different outside that classroom.

������and ������ fed coyote.
Depends on the line of work. For engineers i definitely agree with you. But i'm studying Business Finance. the business part is going to be heavy on the experience side also, but with Finance that is a lot of learning you have to do before you are able to apply it. I want to do investment banking so i've already started myself by investing my money in various funds and stocks for 4-5 years now, but still learn a bunch each time i go to class, he treats it as if it were the real world. He treats the class as if we were working for him at his hedge fund founded. So in this case education + experience does come hand-in-hand.

HID end all thread
Old 10-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Depends on the line of work. For engineers i definitely agree with you. But i'm studying Business Finance. the business part is going to be heavy on the experience side also, but with Finance that is a lot of learning you have to do before you are able to apply it. I want to do investment banking so i've already started myself by investing my money in various funds and stocks for 4-5 years now, but still learn a bunch each time i go to class, he treats it as if it were the real world. So in this case education + experience does come hand-in-hand.

Yes correct.
I was just meaning the engineers I would hire. They would try to bring all the stuff they learned, and while it looks good on paper, unfortunately does not work out the same in a real situation.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Cooling off?

For example, when I went to UTI that is seriously the biggest waste of money.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Yes correct.
I was just meaning the engineers I would hire. They would try to bring all the stuff they learned, and while it looks good on paper, unfortunately does not work out the same in a real situation.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Yup.. I am definitely not an engineer lol. Determined that a long time ago, i would fail miserably at that line of work.

HID end all thread
Old 10-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerluvr4 View Post
when you know someone has to buy it, you can raise the price as much as you want.

like go fast parts and pieces
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT