Keep the 2v or get Mach 1 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Keep the 2v or get Mach 1

Hi guys , never thought I would do this but it seems like a really good price for the Mach. I'm paying 250 a month for my GT, at 18% interest rate, so all I've really done this past year is pay interest rate, but I owe exactly 7k for the actual car, in 2-3 months I'll have enough to pay it off completely im sick and tired of the interest rates.

But I was looking the other day out of curiosity for a newer 5.0 to finance and trading mine in , which eventually led me to find an 04 Mach 1 about 20 miles away from me, it's priced at 12k with 60k miles.

What do you guys think ?? What can I do? Is it possible to trade mine in ? Or would I have to pay it off first?
At 12k in less than a year I would have enough to completely pay it off and have under my name

Help , please , I saw it and fell in love with it but it sounds too low priced for that mileage , not sure
1FAFP42R04F206419 | 2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 for sale in Hollywood, FL

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
That's a clean looking mach I'd fall in love too lol you can defiantly trade your car in but most likely your gonna get shafted on how much they give you for your car,, I may be wrong on this but I think whatever is leftover for how much their willing too give you on your car will be tacked onto your new loan for the mach.. For example they give you 5k for your car 2k extra will go on the mach loan because you owe 7k.. Not including all the other taxes and interest rate stuff you'll get.. Really is a nice looking ride and low miles defiantly worth looking into in my opinion

torchdNblazen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Your going to end up paying more because your car is not paid off yet. Refinance the car for lower interest? Or go ahead it pay it off now if possible.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Your going to end up paying more because your car is not paid off yet. Refinance the car for lower interest? Or go ahead it pay it off now if possible.

I thought about that, but I rather just pay off what I owe rather than refinance.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchdNblazen03 View Post
That's a clean looking mach I'd fall in love too lol you can defiantly trade your car in but most likely your gonna get shafted on how much they give you for your car,, I may be wrong on this but I think whatever is leftover for how much their willing too give you on your car will be tacked onto your new loan for the mach.. For example they give you 5k for your car 2k extra will go on the mach loan because you owe 7k.. Not including all the other taxes and interest rate stuff you'll get.. Really is a nice looking ride and low miles defiantly worth looking into in my opinion

Yea that's what I'm curious about, like how would that work if I was able to trade mine in, which is still financed

Old 10-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You will just be digging yourself deeper in debt if you trade in your car.
You really need to sell it to a private party for as close to the amount owed, and pay off your current loan. Then start fresh with a new car, and new loan.
If you trade it in, you are essentially going to be paying for your new car, and part of your old car, which you won't have anymore.

That Mach looks very nice but I don't think that it is worth getting "upside down" in debt for.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
Yea that's what I'm curious about, like how would that work if I was able to trade mine in, which is still financed

It's simple when you trade in a car. They offer you X amount for it. If what you owe is more than what they offer you, they will add the balance over to your new loan.

So, you owe $7k on your car, they offer you $4k and the car you want to buy is $12k. They will simply take the $3k remaining on your current loan (which they pay off the complete loan themselves) and add it on top of the $12k for the new car. So that $12k car + the $3k you owe on your loan means that $12k car just became a $15k+ car.

I would suggest getting your credit in order by paying down your debts before you go spending money on a new car and get raped on interest.

Anything more than 8% interest on an old car is way to much. 18% even a credit card is insane.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You will just be digging yourself deeper in debt if you trade in your car.

You really need to sell it to a private party for as close to the amount owed, and pay off your current loan. Then start fresh with a new car, and new loan.

If you trade it in, you are essentially going to be paying for your new car, and part of your old car, which you won't have anymore.

That Mach looks very nice but I don't think that it is worth getting "upside down" in debt for.

That's what I was thinking, so I would def have pay mine off firstb

Old 10-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Hi guys , never tho I would do this but it seems like a really good price for the Mach. I'm paying 250 a month for my GT, at 18% interest rate, so all I've really done this past year is pay interest rate, but I owe exactly 7k for the actual car, in 2-3 months I'll have enough to pay it off completely im sick and tired of the interest rates.

Whoa.. if you have that high of an interest rate, you need to be making WAY more than the minimum payment. You probably owe more now than the original principal loan was!! I had my car 20% paid off of the principal before the first payment was due, because I also got a bad interest rate (young people problems).

As far as that deal: Its a good deal and not really that fishy. I got a 99 cobra with 46k miles for $10,500. Go make sure it sounds healthy and doesn't burn fluids. Tire and brake conditions. At 60k miles it should have its second or 3rd set of tires, and had a brake job not too long ago.

I would take every dime you can spare and get that car paid off before you start biting off more than you can chew. you have an 18% interest rate? A refinance would probably be the best financial move you could possibly make right now. I bet it would cut your interest rate in half as long as you have not been missing payments.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Whoa.. if you have that high of an interest rate, you need to be making WAY more than the minimum payment. You probably owe more now than the original principal loan was!! I had my car 20% paid off of the principal before the first payment was due, because I also got a bad interest rate (young people problems).

As far as that deal: Its a good deal and not really that fishy. I got a 99 cobra with 46k miles for $10,500. Go make sure it sounds healthy and doesn't burn fluids. Tire and brake conditions. At 60k miles it should have its second or 3rd set of tires, and had a brake job not too long ago.

I would take every dime you can spare and get that car paid off before you start biting off more than you can chew. you have an 18% interest rate? A refinance would probably be the best financial move you could possibly make right now. I bet it would cut your interest rate in half as long as you have not been missing payments.

I'm always two weeks early on my payments, but like i said I think I just rather pay off the car rather than going over the hassle of refinancing

Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Hopefully lesson learned. NEVER go car shopping until you have a pre approved loan from YOUR bank. That way you know you budget, terms, avoid high risk shady lenders that charge 18%, and dont have to deal with any of the bullkrap used car places throw at you. You find the car, negotiate cash price, THEN you give them bank details. Btw call your bank try to refinance your current loan with them at 6 or 8% if they deny you then you are not ready to get another car

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Btw a 250 car payment will drop to 175 at normal 4% interest which should only require a 640 credit score

Old 10-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Refinancing like others have said would be a very smart move you could essentially pay the car off faster this way.. It would be nice if you could pay the car off first though before going deeper in debt, but then you do take the risk of the mach being SOLD before you get it paid off.. Get it refinanced, pay it off, then go get your mach, if it's sold no big deal I'm SURE you'll find another good one somewhere cause they are out there you just gotta look lol

torchdNblazen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm always two weeks early on my payments, but like i said I think I just rather pay off the car rather than going over the hassle of refinancing

Well it wont be any faster if you're still going 4 weeks between payments. Or are you making a payment every 2 weeks? (Good idea if you are, btw).

What is your rationale for not wanting to refinance your loan?
Old 10-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

it literally takes 20 minutes on the phone with your bank to set up a refinance, then about an hour down at the bank to sign everything. No reason not to refinance. That all day bullkrap you went through to get your loan on your car before was part of the used car dealers shenanigans to wear you down.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Refinance will be your best solution. Once paid off you might find a better car then.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Also I'm young. About to turn 22 and my car note is 235 a month with 2 percent interest rate from my bank. I don't have the greatest credit but it's not bad either.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredvet View Post
Btw a 250 car payment will drop to 175 at normal 4% interest which should only require a 640 credit score

I'm new credit.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Well it wont be any faster if you're still going 4 weeks between payments. Or are you making a payment every 2 weeks? (Good idea if you are, btw).

What is your rationale for not wanting to refinance your loan?

Because I've been saving to just pay it off. I'm about 3k away so in about 2 months I'll pay it off completely , also I have no idea how the refinancing works

Old 10-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm new credit.

So was I at the time. I only had 1 loan before my car note. So my credit wasn't great. I recommend getting a credit card through capital one to help with credit. It bumped my score by 30 points within few months. Just be on time with payments.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You youngsters need to take a smart money class. Usually offered at your local workforce center. If not I can whip something up if there is enough interest. The cc idea is partially right but your using it wrong. Also paying your loan off early saves you interest but doesnt help your credit for your next loan, you'll be in the same boat

Old 10-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If you are paying 18% on a car loan, you probably have other things to worry about than upgrading your car. 18% is EXTREME. I would walk or ride a bicycle before i pay 18% on a car loan. I'm only 20 and have a higher credit rating than a lot of grown adults i know. Definitely higher than most other people my age. Thats why i had a cosigner when i first got my car. Didn't have any credit history at the time.

Credit is purely about reliability. You can't just bump it right away from doing one thing. Thats why it takes a long time to build good credit, gotta pay consistently.

Creating a new loan on a car with new credit and an existing loan is a very very very very bad idea.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Idk what percent it really is, all I know is it's a daily interest rate of $3.54

Old 10-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

On 7000 principle ur paying 21% at the daily rate you gave. Call and ask them then check florida state law for max. Your lender isnt credit acceptance is it? Lol

Old 10-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredvet View Post
On 7000 principle ur paying 21% at the daily rate you gave. Call and ask them then check florida state law for max. Your lender isnt credit acceptance is it? Lol

Now I'm worried haha, def going to look into getting refinanced, what are the cons tho?

Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Or pay off your car in 2 months like you said then get a loan for the new Mach, have 2 Mustangs, lol.jk. kinda. Refinance or pay it off and sell it private party then get pre approved and then shop. Ive been pre approved for my last couple car purchases and it puts the power in your hands when you go into the dealership. You can tell them your financing is in order and you know what you can and cant do. They will want to finance you of course. I actually did this on my last car and they got my pre approved terms out of me and ended up beating my pre approved rate by 2% and threw in a warranty if i bought it that day. Ended up paying less than what i was pre approved for and shopping for, got the car i wanted, and pay less per month than i expected. It all worked out great this time

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:23 AM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I would worry about getting your affairs in order before worrying about anything car related.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:29 AM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Something else to consider that will cost you more: insurance.

If you did trade your current Mustang in on the next vehicle, and they did not offer enough to pay it off and transferred the balance to the new loan, that would most likely make this next car to have more owed on it then its worth. The finance company will then require you to carry "gap" insurance. This extra coverage is going to be required by the finance company to cover the loan if the vehicle is totaled.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Refinancing is about as challenging as ordering parts from a new website.

You know its worth looking into when Everybody on here agrees that its good lol. As an A-Hole, I make it my duty to disagree with whatever the consensus is in the thread However, I can't do that on this one.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

You're getting good advice here from everyone. Let me add something. Be aware that the Mach 1 only runs on 91 octane? That's an extra expense. I just wanted to chime in and give you some needed feedback. Otherwise a badass car. Do a little more research and make sure you know and understand what you're getting yourself into. Good luck.
tonyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjuan View Post
You're getting good advice here from everyone. Let me add something. Be aware that the Mach 1 only runs on 91 octane? That's an extra expense. I just wanted to chime in and give you some needed feedback. Otherwise a badass car. Do a little more research and make sure you know and understand what you're getting yourself into. Good luck.

I'm not worried about the octane lol, but yea I'm going to be calling my bank and ask for a refinance, as soon as I pay mine off in a couple months I'll worry about another car, I just fell in love with the Mach specially that price and miles and how near it is to me.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #31
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Why is that Mach so cheap? It looks pretty damn clean too. The drives seat looks good and not trashed making the miles look legit. Weird.

That interest rate makes me want to cry! I'd work on getting your current loan refinanced, or buy the Mach with a better interest rate, assuming you will get enough to pay off the GT.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I'd quit looking at the Mach. More you look the more you want it, lol.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Do a thorough inspection, especially for structural sound and get the Car Fax. I once bought one. All the looks got me hooked, just like yourself. Mine turned out to have a bent bracket on the front suspension which should have salvaged the vehicle. I found it right before my 30-day warranty expired. Luckily they returned my money and I bought a GT. Do a Kelley Blue Book value to make sure you're not getting robbed. You are already getting robbed on the interest, so don't get robbed on the price of the car. 12 to 13K is average for a decent Mach 1. Plus, 04 was the last year made in that body style, if that means anything in terms of being a collector's item.
tonyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #34

2v or Mach 1

I don't know how old your car is or how many miles you have on it but do you have dealers there that would buy your car without you having to buy one from them? There are several here in VA. If you do and you can sell it for what you owe on it then you would have a clean slate that way you would be in a position to go ahead and get that Mach1 instead of having to wait a few more months.
stangnat1on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Why is that Mach so cheap? It looks pretty damn clean too. The drives seat looks good and not trashed making the miles look legit. Weird.

That interest rate makes me want to cry! I'd work on getting your current loan refinanced, or buy the Mach with a better interest rate, assuming you will get enough to pay off the GT.
There are a couple Machs near me with similar miles for the 12-13k range. They started higher but keep coming down. Good time to buy here in MI right before winter starts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT