A/C Max anyone put a off/on switch? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A/C Max anyone put a off/on switch?

A/C Max has anyone put a off/on switch to keep the circulation on but still cool the car without running the actual compressor or letting in vented air?

Most new cars you have the option but on a 2002 GT you have A/C Max, A/C, and vent air.

Don't think it would be too hard to run a simple relay and push button lighted switch to know when it was on. When I replace the radio will already be tearing into it and figure to tackle this as well.

Living in Texas we run the A/C 8-10 months out of the year especially in a black car.
drewjunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I used to unplug the power to the compressor on an 84 Z28 I had years ago. It was super easy to get to, just right on top. I haven't looked on the mine, so I don't know how easy it is to access. I would turn the AC on inside and it would force the cooling fan on and make a pretty big difference when it was over 90 outside.

BTW, the Vent setting brings in outside air. Recirculate only happens on ours in Max setting. Every other setting is letting air in from outside.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Recirculate only happens on ours in Max setting. Every other setting is letting air in from outside.
Exactly why I want to have an off/on switch for the A/C. On my other cars I never take it off of recirculation. Stuff from dust, pollen, road kill, smoke, exhaust etc would rather not smell...or I would run with the windows down.
drewjunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewjunr View Post
Recirculate only happens on ours in Max setting. Every other setting is letting air in from outside.
Exactly why I want to have an off/on switch for the A/C. On my other cars I never take it off of recirculation. Stuff from dust, pollen, road kill, smoke, exhaust etc would rather not smell...or I would run with the windows down.
Newer cars have cabin filters to handle dust, pollen, etc. Of course, ours do not have cabin filters lol. If you put ours in the straight up position, it closes it down. There's no air movement then, but this is what I do when passing a stinky *** farm truck hauling cattle and pigs, or if I pas through construction. You definitely don't want to leave it in that position when the car is parked. You want your car to breathe so the heat doesn't get sealed up in the cabin. Also, no air movement could cause mold to grow in the evap coil. I see what you are saying. We just have basic HVAC controls. I suppose you could come up with something to accomplish what you want. You could research HVAC controls from other Ford's around 99-04. Maybe there is a way you could add controls from one that gets you more control. Might be worth a look.

LOL, I use my AC maybe once or twice a year. I leave mine in vent/floor mode 99% of the time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT