Air Suspension - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Air Suspension

Is anybody familiar with this or have it on their New Edge? Pros/cons? I was thinking of going this route if there aren't any performance negatives. I want to go lower but don't want to scrape or ruin my bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bullitt310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airlif...-kit-9404.html

Old 10-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt310 View Post
Is anybody familiar with this or have it on their New Edge? Pros/cons? I was thinking of going this route if there aren't any performance negatives. I want to go lower but don't want to scrape or ruin my bumper.
Bullitt - I personally haven't heard any negatives on their 99-04 kit. They've been in business for a long time and most issues I've seen pop up have just been a bad fitting, or really, really small things. They're fantastic if you're looking to track (Road Course) your car but if you're aiming to not scrape I think a set of springs would be more than enough unless you're looking to slam the car.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

As far as racing, I'm only considering the 1/4 with my current car. Would this suspension be good for that? Better/worse than a standard setup?

I currently have the Steeda sport springs but I want to go lower without scraping. I thought that I could do that with the air suspension, and if I encounter any steep driveways, speed bumps, etc., I could just "lift" my car to safety.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
As far as racing, I'm only considering the 1/4 with my current car. Would this suspension be good for that? Better/worse than a standard setup?

I currently have the Steeda sport springs but I want to go lower without scraping. I thought that I could do that with the air suspension, and if I encounter any steep driveways, speed bumps, etc., I could just "lift" my car to safety.
Bullitt - You're right on the money in terms of lifting the car to safety getting up/down driveways. That's definitely one of the added benefits along with avoiding speedbumps as well if you're running Long Tubes because they definitely hang low.

As per an advantage or disadvantage I honestly can't think of any aside from the fact if you're launching hard and the car is semi low you could potentially hit your bumper, that's all!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would totally get this if I could get some good front/back side/side going with it!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I plan on doing a coyote swap with probably the MM k-member to go with it. Will there be any fitment issues?

Old 10-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

What are the pros/cons versus a traditional spring or coil-over setup?

Old 10-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had bags on my old Jetta. It was so convenient for daily driving, especially if your commute involves sucky roads.

There are some performance negatives if you plan on taking it to the track though. Air suspension not only changes the geometry of all the other suspension parts when it's adjusted, but it also changes the spring rates, which is hard to work around when you want to track the car. That said, you could probably get your ride height and damping set how you want, get your supporting mods adjusted/aligned, and then just leave it like that. But then you would be defeating the purpose of the instant adjustability of air suspension. Of course, you could also get your track setup done right before your event and then not worry about the technical alignment details afterwards, which would probably be the best compromise.

I still haven't decided if I'm going coilovers or air ride for my '13 GT. They're both gonna cost about the same, I just don't know how dedicated I'll be to road course racing. If I'm more dedicated and want the shortest lap times, then I'm going coilovers. If I'm only going to the track a couple times a year and not really looking to push down the lap times, I'll probably go with air ride.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The Steedas I have aren't the lowest but I still scrape here and there. I want to be able to go a little lower and not have to worry. How's the ride quality? Is reliability an issue?

In regards to racing, as of now I just want a fun daily driver that I can take to the drag strip 2-3 times a year.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The Steedas I have aren't the lowest but I still scrape here and there. I want to be able to go a little lower and not have to worry. How's the ride quality? Is reliability an issue?

In regards to racing, as of now I just want a fun daily driver that I can take to the drag strip 2-3 times a year.

Ride quality: as comfortable as it gets. After installing the bags the car felt as smooth or smoother than the floaty stock setup.

Reliability: depends on quality of the installation job. You're pretty much not going to have any trouble with low quality parts these days, so problems usually only arise from subpar installation, i.e., user error. I had some slow leaks at the bags and at the tank when I first installed mine, so I would constantly have to keep the compressor on to keep the tank full. Eventually I went back and redid the fittings with Teflon tape and made sure my lines were cut at perfect 90 degree angles, and then I didn't have a single problem for the following 3 or 4 years, after which I took the whole setup off and parted it out.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, I'm definitely considering this setup. Thanks for the info. I just watched the install video on YouTube. Looks pretty damn cool. I'll probably put more than $20k into my car by the time I'm done...almost what I paid for it new lol.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Best bet is to scour the interwebz for a crew using air ride on their grudge cars. I know north texas performance runs a few, also maybe hollar at the gas monkey crew since they air ride every friggen car even their dragsters

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Good idea, thanks. I'm really leaning toward this. I'll probably have to do it at the same time as the swap, but what's another few grand, right? : )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT