Prepping for winter/storage - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Prepping for winter/storage

How does everyone prep for winter and storage?

I drove the car last winter since it was my daily but now I have a daily so I'm going to park it for the winter.

I bought a nice car cover. But as far as mechanically is there anything I need to do? stabil? Or anything for the engine and fluids? Go it and start it a couple times a week?

Just curious to see what everyone does. Don't wanna go to start it in the spring and it be locked up or something wrong.

04 GT: CAI, 3.73, Longtubes, Full exhaust, Comp Cams 270's, Short throw, Pullies, BBK 73mm TB, MSD coils, 47lb injectors, MPT tuned, Steeda lowering springs, Front strut bar, MM caster camber plates and the list goes on.
keeney35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Clean good inside and out, car cover, some people put mice bait/decon/moth balls (I dont, no mice issues i have seen yet in my garage), fill the tank, stabil, battery tender, oil change, check fluids, not in that exact order of course. I wouldnt start it at all, i let mine sit all winter (roughly 3-4 months depending on when spring comes). Not good to start it unless you are going to get up to running temp for a good amount of time. If you feel that you need to start it to check things out, let it run a half an hour or so, or if its a dry day, take it for a quick run. This is just what i do, and have done for 4 winters now with this one and havent had any issues. Starts right up in the spring, un cover, clean, get an oil change and ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Yup... above sounds good.
I do the following to mine...

Change the oil.
Drive to the gas station
Add staybil and any fuel injector additive
Fill with non-ethanol fuel (this will mix the staybil in)
Drive home or storage. (this gets the staybil into the fuel lines, etc)
Wash and clean car inside and out.
Drain Oil Separator (if installed)
Wax car, and any other appearance cleanup prep.(black plastic, tires, wax wheels)
Check and fill tires to at least the correct pressure
(I usually set a couple pounds higher)
- I will also rotate once over the winter as I have spare time.
Pull battery positive cable
- I will charge battery a couple times over winter. Could use a tender, but I don't trust them.
Cover car.
- Mine is parked in an insulated garage, but I still cover.

Sits about 4 months.

I usually don't start, but if you do get to running temp

Then in spring, I run for 500-1000 miles then get oil changed.
wash if needed.
wax about 1 month after pulled out.

No mice issues here either, but keep that in mind.

I am on the third winter with this car no issues so far.
Second Mustang with a 34 yr gap.
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

All of the above sounds good... I don't use a tender I disconnect the negative battery cable and only the negative. Our winters last about 6 months here in upstate ny.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Vinnie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie02 View Post
All of the above sounds good... I don't use a tender I disconnect the negative battery cable and only the negative. Our winters last about 6 months here in upstate ny.

So could you comment on pulling the negative cable vs the positive? I have always disconnected the positive side and protected it so it can't touch anything. It has worked well.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneyusa View Post
So could you comment on pulling the negative cable vs the positive? I have always disconnected the positive side and protected it so it can't touch anything. It has worked well.
Before i used the tender i always disconnected my positve too and made sure it wasnt touching anything

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You battery will not drain by disconnecting the negative. I read it on another forum when I first got her 2 years ago..plus I believe it had something to do with computer. All I truly know is I don't have a tender and in May when the weather has finally cleared and she comes out of hibernation, I connect the negative and turn the key she starts right up like I parked her in the garage the day before. But I will see if I can find the forum and tell you guys the exact reason.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I leave my battery hooked up what i do is hook up my trickle charger to it a few times during storage to keep the battery charged always started right up in spring
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I understand that if you leave the battery connected you will have to do something. There is a constant drain on the battery from all the cool car electronics. You either attach a trickle charger/tender or you will need to periodically charge the battery. If not it will be dead and messed up when you go to start the car.

I am wondering is, does it make a difference which post is disconnected. I have always disconnected the positive and left the negative attached. When Vinnie02 mentioned pulling the negative post it got me wondering if there was a reason. Is that better? Does it matter which one is left attached? I don't know. I had not really considered it before.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The forum was the svt forum that I found it on. I also spoke to a friend at work who is a car guy he told me it really doesn't matter which you disconnect just so long as it doesn't complete a circuit.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Prepping for winter/storage

you should remove your battery if you are parking it for winter & store it inside, otherwise the water will freeze & crack the plastic casing.
lol I learned this the hard way last year... 1 new battery leaked acid; & on the 2nd, the whole case came apart from the freezing & thawing lol

...i had my engine running a few times diring the winter too
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie02 View Post
The forum was the svt forum that I found it on. I also spoke to a friend at work who is a car guy he told me it really doesn't matter which you disconnect just so long as it doesn't complete a circuit.

OK Thanks. Was not sure it would make any difference, but good to know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT