Replacing power steering pump - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Replacing power steering pump

Help! I posted a few days ago when my car was making a squealing sound and determined it was most likely power steering. Also saw another video on YouTube of one making the same sound and it said it was he power steering. So I replaced the pump and got to bleeding it and working the air out of the system but it wouldn't go back to normal. Steering and brakes wouldn't get easier. I figured maybe it was a faulty pump, as it was remanufactured, so I ordered another one from Advance last night, got it this morning, did the install, and I'm having the same problem. Can someone please give me instructions on how to properly bleed the system? I'm pretty sure I had it right, I did it the first time with the help of a buddy who is a mechanic, but I'd just like to be sure. I have absolutely no idea what to do at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
loganf1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #2

Region: Canada
Front end on jackstands, turn steering lock to lock a few times. Check fluid level. Start engine, do same a few times checking level in between. Thats it.
8111870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The only thing that I can add, is don't turn the wheel, and hit hard against the stops. Just barely bump against them.
The air should work it's way out of the system eventually.
Ford power steering pumps are infamous for "whining". I replaced the original one on my truck a few years ago, and it was WAY more noisy than the one that I removed. It has since quieted down a bit now that it has some miles on it.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
This was completely unnecessary. I made a rookie mistake of all rookie mistakes. I put the hose from the reservoir on right over the plug on the new pump. It was even a struggle to put it on, but I couldn't see the plug cuz it was dark. Just struggled for 20 minutes to get the hose over it. Embarrassing stuff... Thanks for the help though!
loganf1221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT