RUNSonE - JDF's Bullitt build thread - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Most of the cams out there are pretty good but the Cushman's seem very optimal and his service/support are superior.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
For the intercooler I got the CX Racing setup. Its actually pretty damn nice. Still in a box in my garage like most of my parts... and my sanity lol. Its been REALLY hard to find time to work on the car and then I got sidetracked on upgrading my gaming PC for the Fallout4 release among other things.

Anyway, the CX Racing intercooler will steal about 3lbs of boost away from whatever the blower is making but with a S trim (or Novi in my case) that is not exactly a problem with the stock internals.

The piping is good on the kit, the welds are good, it comes with a BOV and a new oil cooler/relocation hoses and the clamps and couplers are high quality too. One thing I will say is that the BOV is not in a great location for a blow-thru setup which is what I am going with. That is another thing, every single last tuner I have talked to has said the same thing. "Get a slot MAF and go blow thru". Easier to tune, less tubing to worry about and super accurate. You just need to put the MAF in the middle of the straight shot of intake pipe that goes to the TB and the BOV needs to be moved to BEFORE the intercooler.

Trying to think what else since we are dealing with very similar cars here and I already got pretty much all of my stuff...

Not sure how you feel about doing the cams but I am going to be putting in CMS 2.5 blower cams even with the stock bottom end. Better powerband, takes way less boost to make the 425-450 number I am looking at which is very good when talking about stock internals and it'll make the 2V sound godlike. Roll up to a stoplight and watch ppl look around confused because "where is the muscle car?" lol.

Clutch should probably be done too, the early run 3650s are not exactly known for reliability either so there is something to look at too. Definitely do a full fluid change with Synchromesh. After that its just the basic stuff. Getting the rear suspension sorted is always a biggie on the 05-down cars.
Do you know of any good cores that are more efficient that the CX Racing core? If I can avoid buying a new pulley then that would be great.

Where would I pick up a slot style MAF? I feel like I remember someone mentioning the 05+ Mustangs got them, but I don't know if they can handle a boosted application.

Cams aren't in the cards right now, I don't feel like tearing into the motor just yet and in all honesty I don't care for how a cammed 2V sounds.

The clutch is on the list for the next year. Suspension is gonna be something I slowly work on. It's probably gonna end up with a drop with some good shocks and C/CS plates. Eventually I'll get some lower rear control arms to compliment everything. This car isn't gonna be a race car or anything like that, just a fun toy
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Do you know of any good cores that are more efficient that the CX Racing core? If I can avoid buying a new pulley then that would be great.

Where would I pick up a slot style MAF? I feel like I remember someone mentioning the 05+ Mustangs got them, but I don't know if they can handle a boosted application.

Cams aren't in the cards right now, I don't feel like tearing into the motor just yet and in all honesty I don't care for how a cammed 2V sounds.

The clutch is on the list for the next year. Suspension is gonna be something I slowly work on. It's probably gonna end up with a drop with some good shocks and C/CS plates. Eventually I'll get some lower rear control arms to compliment everything. This car isn't gonna be a race car or anything like that, just a fun toy
The slot MAF is much much better for all applications especially boost. Every single last tuner out there that knows what they are doing will prefer to tune a slot MAF x1000 over the sample tube setups. The sample tube MAF really should have been replaced in 96 and is a holdover from the pushrod cars. You can get them anywhere, I got mine from PoweradderSolutions.

PAS Xtreme Slot Style Mass Air Sensor w/ Universal Harness & Flange - Power Adder Solutions, Inc. - Mustang Performance Parts

I paid $200 shipped via a PM on another forum where they were running a member special. You just get it welded in dead center of the straight shot of tubing before the turn into the TB. And move the BOV flange to before the intercooler. You will never need another MAF sensor.

The Treadstone intercooler is the one that most ppl replace the CX-Racing one with if they want one that is less restrictive but no need on a stock motor. Even with a 2 or 3 psi drop through the CX-Racing just turn up the boost at the headunit to compensate for that.

As far as a clutch. Exedy Mach 400 clutch and a new flywheel and you'll be G2G. The Tri-Ax is a really really good shifter so just remove the stops completely and do a drain/fill with 3.2 quarts of Pennzoil Syncrhomesh and call it good as far as that goes. I still need to PM Soccer the links for a new trans actually... I'd also look to see what sort of quadrant/firewall setup is in there if its not stock. My 98 came with the most rigged *** one ever and I replaced with a Max Motorsports quadrant and Fiore Micro-click adjuster and stock cable.

Suspension wise... definitely do a lower and CC plates. Too many modded 94-04 cars rolling around on stock suspension.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Do you know who it is tunes by?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

He's probably in the same boat as me and its some no name meh tune on it. I am not going to fire the new motor without a fresh tune from someone competent on it and I recommend JDF gets a fresh startup tune and does the same.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The slot MAF is much much better for all applications especially boost. Every single last tuner out there that knows what they are doing will prefer to tune a slot MAF x1000 over the sample tube setups. The sample tube MAF really should have been replaced in 96 and is a holdover from the pushrod cars. You can get them anywhere, I got mine from PoweradderSolutions.

PAS Xtreme Slot Style Mass Air Sensor w/ Universal Harness & Flange - Power Adder Solutions, Inc. - Mustang Performance Parts

I paid $200 shipped via a PM on another forum where they were running a member special. You just get it welded in dead center of the straight shot of tubing before the turn into the TB. And move the BOV flange to before the intercooler. You will never need another MAF sensor.

The Treadstone intercooler is the one that most ppl replace the CX-Racing one with if they want one that is less restrictive but no need on a stock motor. Even with a 2 or 3 psi drop through the CX-Racing just turn up the boost at the headunit to compensate for that.

As far as a clutch. Exedy Mach 400 clutch and a new flywheel and you'll be G2G. The Tri-Ax is a really really good shifter so just remove the stops completely and do a drain/fill with 3.2 quarts of Pennzoil Syncrhomesh and call it good as far as that goes. I still need to PM Soccer the links for a new trans actually... I'd also look to see what sort of quadrant/firewall setup is in there if its not stock. My 98 came with the most rigged *** one ever and I replaced with a Max Motorsports quadrant and Fiore Micro-click adjuster and stock cable.

Suspension wise... definitely do a lower and CC plates. Too many modded 94-04 cars rolling around on stock suspension.

Sweet, I'll look into going slot style. I had a Mach 400 clutch in my old mustang and was quite happy with it. Odds are that this car will get it as well.

I'm way ahead of you on the shift stops, those were pulled the minute I got the car home. Plans for the winter are oil change, trans fluid, diff fluid, and whatever other basic maintenance I find that needs done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Do you know who it is tunes by?

I don't know. The story I heard from the dealer is that when the previous owner moved to Colorado he flew out a guy from SuperChips to do a tune for it. The way the guy from the dealer made it sound is that this was a long time ago before most of the big name shops in this area started popping up.

Quote:
He's probably in the same boat as me and its some no name meh tune on it. I am not going to fire the new motor without a fresh tune from someone competent on it and I recommend JDF gets a fresh startup tune and does the same.
Yup, I have no clue who tuned it. A tune is planned for the winter as well, I just gotta decide if I want to do it while the car is in storage or after the weather starts clearing in the spring.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Hah fallout 4. Wife just complained she hasnt seen me in a week

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredvet View Post
Hah fallout 4. Wife just complained she hasnt seen me in a week.

Hahaha!
UnrealSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Alright time for the supercharger noob questions. What would a good intercooler be for this car? I saw that AM has some Mishimoto universal cores but I know I've heard other kits recommended before.

How do I go about finding the correct length serpentine belt? Would that be something to buy directly from Vortech?

I'm hoping to start piecing together an intercooler kit along with replacing the serpentine belt and installing a wide band O2 sensor in the next few weeks, so any help is greatly appreciated.
You just need to measure the length of the old belt. Any auto parts store will be able to supply you with the correct length.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredvet View Post
Hah fallout 4. Wife just complained she hasnt seen me in a week

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That was me when I got ahold of Skyrim. Waiting for Cyber Monday to happen actually before I get anything that requires a ton of card tho. Crossfired R7s are not quite up to par anymore.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #46
Registered Member

Regular

Fall out is great so far. Trying to split time equally between it newborn child and black ops 3 though.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I would highly recommend going with the treadstone intercooler. Sure you can always run smaller supercharger pulley or bigger crank pulley but the smaller supercharger pulley can increase the amount of belt slip you get the smaller you go without an 8 rib setup.

Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:06 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1447833946.145898.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	193703
😎👍🏻

Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerz28 View Post
I would highly recommend going with the treadstone intercooler. Sure you can always run smaller supercharger pulley or bigger crank pulley but the smaller supercharger pulley can increase the amount of belt slip you get the smaller you go without an 8 rib setup.

Does Treadstone do a full kit?
Old 11-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm back, time for another Slow 2V build

I don't think so but it's very easy to do. I bought a 3" universal kit and several different silicon couplers at different angles.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1447849797.681934.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	193705
This is a pic I used from 02sonicgt he has a complete write up on his install.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #52
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can always sell the cx racing intercooler brsnd new in box and put that $$$ towards a Treadstone and still come out with a real inexpensive kit.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 11-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Not a bad idea ^

Might hop on some UPR coilovers if they're the right price. Scotty are their coilovers rubbish like the rest of their products?
Old 11-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #54
Staff
Regular
Staff

I have never personally used them but seen enough install threads where dudes have had to do **** like cut out the notches in the sleeves themselves with air tools because UPR did not. There are only a few things UPR I would buy. Their exhaust is sourced out to a shop in Florida called VRS (which I got my pipe from) and their K members are made here in the US as well.

And to be totally blunt... your front suspension (or any suspension really ) is not something to cut corners on. This is not only a performance but a massive safety item as well. Max Motorsports, Griggs, Steeda or GTHO.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:11 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have never personally used them but seen enough install threads where dudes have had to do **** like cut out the notches in the sleeves themselves with air tools because UPR did not. There are only a few things UPR I would buy. Their exhaust is sourced out to a shop in Florida called VRS (which I got my pipe from) and their K members are made here in the US as well.

And to be totally blunt... your front suspension (or any suspension really ) is not something to cut corners on. This is not only a performance but a massive safety item as well. Max Motorsports, Griggs, Steeda or GTHO.
That's why I asked, I found a set on Craigslist which is why I asked. I would lean towards Maximum Motorsports anyways if I was shelling out the $1500 for as set anyways.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

I got the max motorsports ta and phb and i wish i would have done lcas first lol, but atleast i have expensive stuff done

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #57
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyreaper View Post
I got the max motorsports ta and phb and i wish i would have done lcas first lol, but atleast i have expensive stuff done

For a non-adjustable LCA honestly the Steedas are every bit as good as the MM ones and substantially less money. I've had both. If you are going adjustable or heim jointed ones then MM all the way.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #58
Registered Member

Regular
Supporter

Region: Indiana
Congrats JDF!
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

To be honest ill prob get the non adjustable ones because i dont race or anything (just the occasional trip to the strip and the occasional pull on the street when ppl screw with me) and with the ta getting adjustables wont change pinion angle all it would do is move the rear end foward and back which is pointless now, the mm ta attaches at bottom of rear end and so does the lcas so adjustable ones are pointless for my app, so ty scotty ill prob get the cheaper ones when i get back to work i havnt checked out the steeda parts till now ( still out with the broke up leg, ill prob be out till feb sometime )

thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Well this week is not the week to own a DHG Bullitt...

I just watched a guy back into my drivers front fender at a gas station.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1448145238946.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	193876   Click image for larger version

Name:	1448145252461.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	193877  

Name:	1448145269012.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	193878   Click image for larger version

Name:	1448145286344.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	193879  

Name:	1448145314880.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	193880   Click image for larger version

Name:	1448145330002.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	193881  

Name:	1448145342829.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	193882  
Old 11-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #61
Registered Member

Regular
Supporter

Region: Indiana
Dang, that sucks man!

IG: @rcodemach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #62
Registered Member

Regular

At least you have the responsible party there I suppose

Old 11-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

I was in the car when it happened. The idiot tried to play it off like he didn't hit my car at all and kept asking what the problem was.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #64
Registered Member

Regular

That paint transfer to the bumper just magically happened, huh?

Old 11-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
That paint transfer to the bumper just magically happened, huh?

There wasn't any paint transfer but I can tell you what tire I have based off the dirt imprint on the back of his bumper. The guy was quite reluctant to do anything.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #67
Registered Member

Regular

I thought that was paint. After I zoomed in I could see words though lol

Old 11-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There wasn't any paint transfer but I can tell you what tire I have based off the dirt imprint on the back of his bumper. The guy was quite reluctant to do anything.
I assume that you got all of his insurance information.

He is going to be surprised when he finds out what that little "fender bender" is going to cost to repair!
Some people are just idiots and can't ever admit when they are at fault.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I assume that you got all of his insurance information.

He is going to be surprised when he finds out what that little "fender bender" is going to cost to repair!
Some people are just idiots and can't ever admit when they are at fault.
Yup I got pictures of his insurance, registration, and license along with the pic of his plate.

He was quite concerned with eating his burrito before it got too cold.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #70
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Sorry to hear about your car. Kinda seems like it's not a good time for Bullitts, at the moment. Being soccer's car got a fender bender earlier this week, and now this. But give her a week or two and she'll be good as new!

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT