clutch and throttle response - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
clutch and throttle response

11-14-2015, 10:02 PM

Patrick0210

I have a 00*GT 5*speed. Some component in my clutch is squeakingoing constantly unless I place my foot on it lightly. Any ideas of what this could be? Also my throttle response suck's and when I Rev it, it revs forever before it goes back down. It's not responsive. Any ideas on that as well? Thanks
Patrick0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick0210 View Post
11-14-2015, 10:02 PM

Patrick0210

I have a 00*GT 5*speed. Some component in my clutch is squeakingoing constantly unless I place my foot on it lightly. Any ideas of what this could be? Also my throttle response suck's and when I Rev it, it revs forever before it goes back down. It's not responsive. Any ideas on that as well? Thanks
Are you saying the squeaking goes away once you push in the clutch? If so, my guess would be the pilot bearing.

The rpms dropping slowly may be normal but I might be underestimating the length of time you are referring to. A video would help.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Sounds like the throw out bearing making noise. As for the hanging rpm, it wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body and maf. Also check the air filter. Fuel filter is cheap, easy to replace and often overlooked. Can you post a video?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Clean the MAF element with MAF cleaner (not carb cleaner, MAF cleaner), yank up on your clutch pedal to re-adjust the factory mechanism. Change the fuel filter on it and do the plugs and rebuild the COPs if you have not yet. Remember when you do plugs to use a torque wrench and torque to 12-15ft lbs or you can very VERY easily strip out the head.

It really sounds like its a throwout bearing with not enough preload (or failing) and the car needs a tuneup.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

My understanding is that the throwout bearing is only spinning when the clutch is depressed whereas pilot bearing is always spinning. Therefore, I thought a bad throwout bearing would only make noise with the clutch depressed. If the sound goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed, wouldn't that indicate the pilot bearing or am I misunderstanding something? Asking for clarification...

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
Old 11-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

The throwout bearing is designed to be spinning at all times. They can squeak when they are failing or if there is not enough preload on them. You do not want the TOB (which is metal on metal contact to the clutch fingers) going 0-5800 RPM on a high rev shift in a split second. There is a distinct burning metal smell after a hard drive with the TOB set up like that, ask me how I know.

And the pilot is not always spinning either. The pilot is NEVER spinning unless you push in the clutch. When the trans is in neutral or you are in gear the input shaft spins in unison with the crank via the clutch so the pilot stays still. When you disengage the clutch (pedal down) you unlink the input from the crank and that is what the pilot is for.

Make sense now?

There is a LOT of misunderstanding of how the whole cable clutch setup works TBTH.

Also I will never understand the ppl who downshift a manual trans to slow down and "save the brakes". Brakes are quick and easy. Trans has to come out to do the clutch.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

Okay I'm pretty sure the squeaking is one of the bearings but the revving seems abnormal. I soaked the MAF in cleaner for a whole day. Took the throttle body and plenum completely off, they are now spotless. Cleaned the IAC. It still does it.
How do you post a video?
Old 11-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #8

Also when Im driving I hear almost a grinding noise. Not when I shift but when I lay into it, and it sounds like it's coming from the shifter. It's not that loud but it worries me.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The throwout bearing is designed to be spinning at all times. They can squeak when they are failing or if there is not enough preload on them. You do not want the TOB (which is metal on metal contact to the clutch fingers) going 0-5800 RPM on a high rev shift in a split second. There is a distinct burning metal smell after a hard drive with the TOB set up like that, ask me how I know.

And the pilot is not always spinning either. The pilot is NEVER spinning unless you push in the clutch. When the trans is in neutral or you are in gear the input shaft spins in unison with the crank via the clutch so the pilot stays still. When you disengage the clutch (pedal down) you unlink the input from the crank and that is what the pilot is for.

Make sense now?

There is a LOT of misunderstanding of how the whole cable clutch setup works TBTH.

Also I will never understand the ppl who downshift a manual trans to slow down and "save the brakes". Brakes are quick and easy. Trans has to come out to do the clutch.
OK. I had the right concept but I somehow flipped the bearing names in my head. Thanks for clearing it up.

I know of downshifting into the powerband out of turns at a track, but after applying the brakes to initially slow down. I haven't heard of people intentionally trying to save the brakes by downshifting.... O.o

Old 11-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick0210 View Post
<snip>
How do you post a video?
You can upload to youtube and then post the link or use the "Add Video" button when posting if you have the vid on your computer and find it with "Browse".
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
ive tried to pull up on my clutch pedal to reset it several times. i never hear any clicking or ratcheting. I am assuming that the gear teeth on the quadrant are probably worn out. and ive found that resting my foot on the clutch pedal makes the squeaking go away when it happens. (it generally goes away once it is warmed up)

as for the grinding noise that someone above mentioned, does it happen more when you are in overdrive and just cruising?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
ive tried to pull up on my clutch pedal to reset it several times. i never hear any clicking or ratcheting. I am assuming that the gear teeth on the quadrant are probably worn out. and ive found that resting my foot on the clutch pedal makes the squeaking go away when it happens. (it generally goes away once it is warmed up)

as for the grinding noise that someone above mentioned, does it happen more when you are in overdrive and just cruising?
You sure you have a stock quadrant?

Also if you have the stocker and its fully adjusted up already it will not click anymore. This would mean your cable is stretched and needs replaced. I'd maybe look into the Max Motorsports full quadrant/adjuster/cable kit and install that. If the squeaking goes away when you rest your foot on the pedal then there isn't enough preload on the bearing. A firewall adjuster would allow you to tighten the cable up just enough to quiet it down.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You sure you have a stock quadrant?

Also if you have the stocker and its fully adjusted up already it will not click anymore. This would mean your cable is stretched and needs replaced. I'd maybe look into the Max Motorsports full quadrant/adjuster/cable kit and install that. If the squeaking goes away when you rest your foot on the pedal then there isn't enough preload on the bearing. A firewall adjuster would allow you to tighten the cable up just enough to quiet it down.
yea, this is pretty much the conclusion I've come to after reading all the other threads. but yea, visually, it looks like the stock quadrant. the MM setup is what i have bookmarked on my web browser, just gotta pull the trigger and buy it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Top end | Light bar »