Fuel issues? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Fuel issues?

So I have a 2.1 Kenne Bell on a MMR 950 block. I am currently at 520 rwhp and 540 rwtq. I have an 03/04 cobra tank and dual cobra pumps with a boost-a-pump and 60# injectors. I plan on upgrading to a 2.6 KB or at least swap the inlet for a 2.6/2.8 onto the 2.1 in the near future. I want to stay tuned on 93 octane and am hoping for high 700s hp/tq. I believe I am pushing the limits on my fuel pump already. Sometimes when doing a 3rd gear pull (doesn't do it in 4th, no traction in 2nd so IDK), higher up in the RPM range (about 6k), my car will backfire and shut off. It's happened about twice. I am assuming that I am running out of fuel? I was wondering about my options. I know at some point, a return style is needed, but I'm not sure if my plans will reach that point or not. If so, I was looking at Lethal Performance 99-04 2V Budget Return Style Fuel System - Lethal Performance - Fuel Systems - Fuel Delivery - 1999-2004 - Ford Mustang GT - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now with dual walbro 255s.

Thanks!
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: HARTWELL LAKE AREA
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 435
At that hp level just don't think you want anything "budget" to much at stake
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
That setup will work. You could also upgrade to dual GT pumps, modified fpdm and reach high 600's with no issue.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
At that hp level just don't think you want anything "budget" to much at stake
From what I could tell, the reason it is budget is that it keeps the stock feed and fuel rails; from what I've found that will be okay for my goals.




Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
That setup will work. You could also upgrade to dual GT pumps, modified fpdm and reach high 600's with no issue.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
So the return will hold up to my high 700s goal? Also, would the dual gt pumps and fpdm be a direct swap?

Also just to make sure I'm on the right track, does the shutting off in third gear sound like I'm running out of fuel?
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
parkerz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 321
You need to data log it to see what your a/f ratio is. You should also put in a wide band o2 guage. If you were running lean enough to shut the car down I would think your engine would be toast at that point.


Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerz28 View Post
You need to data log it to see what your a/f ratio is. You should also put in a wide band o2 guage. If you were running lean enough to shut the car down I would think your engine would be toast at that point.


Sent from Rapinators trunk
After looking at some modded FPDMs, I think I may be overheating my stock one. "What happens when the stock driver overheats? It goes into thermal limiting and cuts ALL fuel supply to your engine until the driver temperature drops below a safe level." My engine is perfectly fine and I want to keep it that way, so I wanted to figure it out before it happens again. I'll get on the datalog ASAP
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
parkerz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 321
Fuel issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post
After looking at some modded FPDMs, I think I may be overheating my stock one. "What happens when the stock driver overheats? It goes into thermal limiting and cuts ALL fuel supply to your engine until the driver temperature drops below a safe level." My engine is perfectly fine and I want to keep it that way, so I wanted to figure it out before it happens again. I'll get on the datalog ASAP

Thats very possible... I didn't even think of that. You might be on to something there. I remember some wire upgrades ppl mentioned in the past... That could also be something to look into. But for sure do some data logging


Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerz28 View Post
Thats very possible... I didn't even think of that. You might be on to something there. I remember some wire upgrades ppl mentioned in the past... That could also be something to look into. But for sure do some data logging


Sent from Rapinators trunk
Yeah I was planning on doing the wiring upgrade whenever I swap pumps or go return style. So somewhat of an update. I just changed the fuel filter. Before it would idle at about 32psi and now it's at about 41 like I thought it was supposed to be. It didnt shut off on me just now when I drove it. I went all the way to 6500 rpm in third and everything was fine. Even to 6500 in fourth. The fuel pump duty cycle peaked at 45%. Which seems low? What do you guys think? I think I solved the problem but I want to be sure
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Never mind. I have two pumps. So 45*2= 90% which seems about right on the duty cycle

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 GT - issues, issues, issues. Anyone experience this? Binks 2005-2010 Mustang GT 2 05-09-2015 11:22 AM
engine issues... no codes... fuel pump video added jimmy_beaner 1996-2004 Mustang GT 99 05-02-2009 12:56 PM
Fuel pump issues! Can anyone help? Stangbaby302 1979-1995 Mustang GT 5 04-13-2008 01:44 AM
fuel tank and radiator issues... mustangmare Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 1 11-01-2004 08:09 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:20 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.