seeking assistance from the most knowledgable members - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
seeking assistance from the most knowledgable members

okay..sorry everybody for being one of those guys with like three posts and whom only posts when I need help.... ill have to change that...
anyway. so I could use as much help as possible and I'm going to lay it all out as best as possible from time I got the car until now.
we are discussing a 2001 mustang gt premium convertible. 110k miles. freshly rebuilt auto trans.
so when I got the car, obviously everything looked good. fluids n such. soon after I noticed the coolant was funny colored. had block sealer in it. and I was smelling faint coolant when I drove it but their was NEVER any signs of a leak. and has a slight buck to it at low speeds and low throttle. example= 30 mph in OD just crusing.if I drop to 2nd it STOPs due to the raise in RPM(IS NOT TRANS ..FRESH REBUILD) I proceeded with diagnosing and part throwing lol because I wanted the car to run as perfect as possible. changed spark plugs cleaned IAC MAF EGR etc all the stuff we all already know abt! no change ... so I changed the intake manifold gasket. no change BUT I got a couple codes! and they were for misfires on 3 and 5! so I bought new coil on plugs first for those two cylinders. code didn't come back but was never sure if it fixed the issue because it wasn't a CONSISTENT miss in the first place. installed the COPs and drove the car..intake manifold cracked at thermostat housing right off the bat.. so I REPLACED IT! cleaned plugs cleaned COPs boots springs electric connector(yes with electrical connection cleaner) ..and now theres no more coolant smell. and the car has improved in a few ways. but the little bucking is still there. I avoid it by dropping it into 2nd on 25 mph roads and turning off OD in a 35. it is however running pretty well. except for at certain occasions. it no longer sounds like a 2 stroke when it bogs down and then quickly hits its spot and revs up. if u know what I mean or operate a chain saw much lol. so...fearing the worst and not wanting to waste my own time I performed a compression test and it passed with flying colors..all between 180 and 195 psi,... so I ruled out head gasket.. and have been driving it as much as possible. today it threw another code! po303 and po305! misfire on cylinders 3 and 5!!! wtf ... every electrical connection has been cleaned and dielectric greased to hell! car starts right up and runs..runs good..last week my buddy wanted to line up my car and his 95 z28 LT1 .. which we all know...yeah yeah. but with 4:10 gears, a fresh trans with a shift kit and extremely crisp firm shifts. under drive pulleys cai and clearly a tune. I won effortlessly. any suggestions? ideas? looking for a cause of the misfires .. and will take it all from there. not my daily driver but its just as important to me if not more. I paid a fair price for it when I bought it. open to anything anyone may have to say here.. I'm slightly compelled to do some more part throwing to rule things out... I'm sure at least one of you who probably thinks similarly to myself is thinking ..hey STUPID! replace your injectors..FPR and the PUMP assembly...before you can really make any more progress towards diagnosis. but I wanted to get some input from you guys first...
and don't worry my first and next intention is to go get a fuel pressure guage. thanks for reading
Chrishart749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Scotty!!!???

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Check fuel pressure off and running and get back to us
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you are satisfied that you have eliminated the ignition system as a probable cause, then try swapping the fuel injectors from 3 and 5, to some other cylinders, and see if the misfire follows the injectors to the other cylinders. That will eliminate the fuel injectors if the misfire stays with 3 and 5.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What cops did you get?

Are all the clips connected? My moms car was missing and the clips tab broke off so it wouldn't stay locked to the cop. If all that checks out swap the coils to another one to rule out the coil.

And that fact that the trans was just rebuilt doesn't mean anything really, everyone makes mistakes so I would rule that out.

You said it was tuned, what kind of tune?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You said you cleaned the plugs, What did they look like.

A quick test, bring it up to a high speed and let off throttle shut down ignition, keep it in gear. keep off throttle until you stop pull over and and pull plugs, check to see if any are wet or smell like antifreeze. .

This is not the same test as checking carb jet settings at the track.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I would go ahead and upgrade injectors & fuel pump, sounds like you have done every thing else you can do that is obvious , maybe check that tune.
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Have you tried swapping out the misfiring cylinder's COPs with the other side see if it follows those COPs.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If you want help, answer questions. Low rpm miss classic fowl on plugs. Maybe cop. But doubt it. Try test I posted above. If you have money to burn try the shotgun approach mentioned above. I'm thinking a blown head gasket or or leaky manifold gasket. Put the time in and check out your car. Do a cooling system pressure test. We can give you just so much info with the description you gave.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
Old 11-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Chris is probably waiting for one of the more knowledgeable members to respond.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Prolly. LOL
Old 11-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Sounds like a fuel issue more than likely. As many have said try and test the injectors and fuel pressure. If you've already got adequate compression and electrical (spark/coil) seems to run well...I would look at fuel. Don't completely rule out a vacuum or evap issue as well...

Either way, good luck and don't be a stranger! We're all here to help one another!
UnrealSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys sry for late response..
So I got 32 w. Key clicked on and running it fluctuates right around 30 above and below.. When I play with throttle it jumps to abt 40.
I got accel cop's
I already switched the injectors with their neighbors and the miss stayed.
I changed the spark plugs on those 2 cylinders this morning and it changed..it stopped specifying the misfire to 3 and 5. Instead it through a po300 once but ran without codes but misfires sputtered all just the same. It's now most intense specifically under load ..and with the cop's I am pretty convinced that ain't it.. I got po305 and po303 over and over replaced the cop's and still got codes for the same cylinders. Switched the new ones with their neighbors and the misfire stayed put. I checked all spark plugs today when I changed those two and they were all dry and clean. There is no longer ANY coolant loss or coolant smell of any kind. Since intake manifold was replaced. All cylinders have good compression between 180 and 190
Unreal svt I haven't thought much into evap nor do I know much abt it.. What would I be looking for? I'll look it up but.. Anyway.
What's those fuel pressure numbers say to you guys? I thought 32 with the car off was normal but I thought it should of been higher running. ?? Thanks again..oh and tune..idk but its got 4:10 gears and the Speedo works .. I guess it could of been done with a Speedo adjuster type deal but I assumed tune ..
Old 12-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #14

Region: Arizona
knock

Got a 2000 mustang 3.8. Dropped oil pan to fix leak, put everything back, changed valve cover gaskets, checked intake (didn't need too) torque everything to specs. Started this morning it ran for about 10 mind then die, starts again and same thing last time starting, it starts but now it has knocking noise coming from intake. I'm thinking the pickup tube is clogged. Any suggestions
mikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes View Post
Got a 2000 mustang 3.8. Dropped oil pan to fix leak, put everything back, changed valve cover gaskets, checked intake (didn't need too) torque everything to specs. Started this morning it ran for about 10 mind then die, starts again and same thing last time starting, it starts but now it has knocking noise coming from intake. I'm thinking the pickup tube is clogged. Any suggestions
Solid thread Jack bud.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hahah.. That was pretty amusing.
Irrelevant... I had also this vibration ..unbolted exhaust eventually from the mid pipe and vibration stopped completely immediately .. Put exhaust back on with a little modification and it vibrates again just differently.. At a different speed and different intensity..
Any thoughts on exhaust valves orrr even cats? Shooting in the dark at this rate
It's only at 56-59 and is pretty violent. I took the pipes back off at mid pipe and it again stopped so I know its the exhaust but its just very odd and not worth worrying over untill I'm running solid on all 8
Old 12-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Your fuel pressure is a little low.
At idle, it should be between 40-70 psi. And when you turn off the engine, the fuel pressure should hold for 5 minutes and lose no more than 5 psi.
But before you change the fuel pump, go have your charging system tested to make sure that it is operating correctly.
It is very possible that one, or more, of the catalytic converters has broken apart inside and is causing a vibration at certain RPM's.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Battery was said to be fairly new when I bought it and alternator appears new also.. Probably because the battery light is constantly on and off.. I always thought it was because of the underdrive pullies and the alternator charging slower..
Now I'm intrigued.. I will have them tested
Old 12-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Your fuel pressure is a little low.
At idle, it should be between 40-70 psi. And when you turn off the engine, the fuel pressure should hold for 5 minutes and lose no more than 5 psi.
But before you change the fuel pump, go have your charging system tested to make sure that it is operating correctly.
It is very possible that one, or more, of the catalytic converters has broken apart inside and is causing a vibration at certain RPM's.
Could that be as simple as a gummed up fuel filter?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Could that be as simple as a gummed up fuel filter?

Yes. It could be caused by a dirty fuel filter.
But Chris seemed like he had done a reasonably comprehensive diagnosis, judging from his first post, so I just assumed that he had already replaced all of the maintenance items.

If you haven't changed your fuel filter Chris... DO IT! Lol

I'm betting that this is a charging problem that he is experiencing. The battery light shouldn't be coming on and off. And the fluctuation of the fuel pressure, as RPM's are increased, is another sign that this may be charging system related
Old 12-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

I briefly skimmed through the thread so I missed some stuff

Old 12-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Well.. Previous owner mentioned that he changed the fuel filter but we all know how that goes ..ill go get one.
And have my battery and alternator checked ..
Old 12-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishart749 View Post
I got accel cop's
If you had to replace 2 COP's already, don't you think there is possiblity the other 6 that are also 13+ years old might also have issues? Personally, I'd replace all 8 with OEM Ford units.

Saleen - Power in the hands of a fool!
tfalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

So I got a new code.. Po141 ..replaced 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 2. Car does idle better. Still bucks a bit under load and then starts missing. Today only on cylinder 5 and it can clearly pinpoint it to 5. It's like someone flips a switch on and off for cylinder 5 .. Running smooth and from no where it bogs down engine light starts blinking and then it just clicks right back on. So if my fuel pump was only having issues under load like that..checking my fuel pressure at idle obviously isn't going to do or tell me anything at all. Spark plug is dry. Wtf. End of old 02 sensor was wet but evaporated by the time I tried to check it out.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

One thing I forgot to mention.. When I replaced the intake manifold I melted the fuel rail cross over hose with the egr tube. Not enough for it to leak but melted and formed to the shape of the tube possibly creating a restriction in that hose? Why it would act this way I have no idea but I'm up for trying anything! ... I bought a 1/4 inch fuel hose the other day to fix it so..im going to head out and do it now. Since its December 12 and over 70 here in Virginia.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

That fuel rail could be a problem.
You definitely need to figure out what is causing the low fuel pressure. That is the likely cause of the stumbling under heavy engine loads. If the pressure is low at idle, it stands to reason that it is going to also be low with the engine under a load.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Well I've gotten many different answers as far as what the fuel pressure should actually be. I don't think it should be 28 or so at idle ..but it is
And the fuel rail hose made no difference
Old 12-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

This is right out of the repair manual.

Fuel pressure should be 40-70 psi with the engine running.
And it should hold fuel pressure for five minutes and lose less than 5 psi, once the key is turned off.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

And you replaced the fuel filter, I presume?
Old 12-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Why the hell would it only affect cylinder 5 this way if it was fuel pressure issues? Has anyone experienced bad exhaust valves? Can a bad maf really cause something like that? With no code other then misfire? The car is really too nice to just give up on but the thing is really discouraging me. I drive it around as much as I can but I can't Stand more then 10-15 minutes of misfiring!!!! I let it idle until it is all the way warm first because of the lack of being driven far.
..last may I bought the car for 4k have managed only 3k miles and have a lawn ornament.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I replaced the fuel filter. 02 sensor. And the hose on the fuel rail, today.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I understand your frustration. Just relax, and tackle this one problem at a time.
You know that there is a fuel delivery problem. Focus on that first.

Did you ever get the charging system tested to make sure that it is functioning properly?
Old 12-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I know it sounds simple but when I was working on my moms car I broke off the tab that holds the electrical connector onto the coil. And my moms car was experiencing the same on/off symptoms. Might want to take a look at that
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

A: My cop's are zip tie tight.
And no I never did get my bat/alt tested. I've heard the battery light is because of the underdrive pulleys. But still worth ruling out.
With the fuel filter and 02 sensor it definitely runs better.i drove it tonight and its noticably smoother. This time It never actually missed completely(like if u yank the connector off a cop. Just a hickup type of miss.. The whole time whenever I give it gas. Doesn't do it if I floor it.. Never threw a cel. But when I left I cleared the codes there were from me unplugging things and when I got back po303 and po305.. For those of you who have been reading this the whole way ..a while back i had mentioned a shake/vibration that changed with my exhaust mods and only happened at certain speeds.. It completely dissapeared with a a pair of turn downs on the end of the exhaust. So.. There's a plus
Old 12-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Take a LONG screwdriver with a plastic handle. Flathead would be best to ensure the best contact. Place the flathead of the screwdriver on top of the coil pack. Lean up to the motor and put your ear on the plastic end of the screw driver. You should hear a constant and steady "tick tick tick".

Do the same with the fuel injectors. Do it to all of them to ensure they are all working properly and making the same noise at same duration. It's a make shift stethoscope.

If your results are that all sounds the same, pull the #5 coil pack out. ENGINE OFF. And inspect the insides (that's if you hear it fitting just like the rest.)

Make sure the coil isn't covered in oil/bent/dirty...so that we can rule out "arching" of the coil pack. I've seen that cause misfire before.

Lastly...engine running...get some brake cleaner or carb cleaner. And just go around the top of the motor around all of the hoses and intake manifold/throttle body EVERYWHERE. Spraying this will not hurt anything on your motor. Just wipe it off when done.

If while you're spraying the cleaner you notice the engine jump or rev up in RPM...we will know you've got a leak somewhere or a poor connection

Just some suggestions...
UnrealSVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT