Black Friday mod bug - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Black Friday mod bug

Hey guys, wasn't planning on spending any money the car for a few month, have spent too much this month on miscallenous things, but unfortunate I tuned in to American muscle . Com by mistake to see what they have, and now I want to get a few things.

What are you thought in the sr springs? Is isolators required for a 1.5 drop?

Sr black lower control arms? Really interested in these, I would better traction and not spent so much , do they help?

And lastly the black strut tower brace going for $109 I believe,

I would like to gradually make my car more of suspension car for now, and I would like to begin with these . Thanks guys yays or nays are appreciated and opinions and personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sr springs have been good to me, although try not to install them backwards like i did 😆. Strut tower brace is very good for the money, but limits your tb size in the future. I love mine. Cant say on the control arms. Sr is a good budget brand that will do the job but keep your eye out for other options if possible

wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why don't you take that money, walk into your bathroom open the lid on the toilet,throw the said amount in the bowl and flush it.

That's the same as buying anything SR

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Why don't you take that money, walk into your bathroom open the lid on the toilet,throw the said amount in the bowl and flush it.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Lol sweet baby Jesus.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Well, there you have it: easy step by step instructions, . . . . . . .
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.

I don't have a toilet

Old 11-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
I don't have a toilet

Get the SR stuff then. That way you can experience what one does.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Real talk , I actually have a friend who has the springs and says he hasn't had any problems with them

Old 11-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Real talk , I actually have a friend who has the springs and says he hasn't had any problems with them

I wouldn't put any of it on my car if it was free.

Spend the $ right and get what you pay for

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thinking about picking these up. 300 shipped.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448588765807.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	194080  
19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Damn those rims are sweeeeeeet

bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:03 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Super cheap

Sent from my LG-H634 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
From what i have heard the SR springs are probably the best SR product. You wont need isos with those, get a little more of a drop without them. Probably wont NEED CC plates either as you will be under a 1 3/4 drop with that set up. If you do get CC plates then ONLY get MM plates. I think you are ok with the SR springs. Their priced very good on the sale right now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I do agree with Rap on this...I have seen, touched, felt SR parts and I would save your money and get the good stuff. You can clearly see the difference. To me SR parts are just like Harbor Freight tools. They may work but I would rather keep stock parts on my car until I had the money to call BMR or whoever.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
I do agree with Rap on this...I have seen, touched, felt SR parts and I would save your money and get the good stuff. You can clearly see the difference. To me SR parts are just like Harbor Freight tools. They may work but I would rather keep stock parts on my car until I had the money to call BMR or whoever.

Your analogy makes sense along with Rapinator. Why risk doing the job twice? Once with so-so parts, then the good stuff the second time?
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Your analogy makes sense along with Rapinator. Why risk doing the job twice? Once with so-so parts, then the good stuff the second time?

Yes if you want to upgrade then why waste your time and money with cheap imitation parts. I would rather keep the Ford OEM stuff than do that. I'm around this stuff a lot and get to see the good stuff and the cheap stuff side by side. There is a difference and the best way to describe it is lay a harbor freight wrench next to a snap on.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Raptinator says it like it is...that's why I like the guy.

I have found the "you get what you pay for" belief applies to just about everything. I see it almost every day in the manufacturing industry where I work. We like to call the "cheap" products "value oriented" lol.

Here's my .02 about the mustang value oriented products.

Most products like American Muscle's SR line and LMR's SVE line are made overseas at low cost so they can be sold at low prices. There are some guys who just want those mods on their car so those products appeal to them. They aren't really looking for the most performance benefits.
If you read some of the reviews on the upper/lower control arms on both lines (SR & SVE), some reviewers even say they got the products in their hands and saw the actual quality, or lack thereof, of the product.

Maybe they do offer some performance benefits, but overall long term they probably won't hold up or offer quite the same benefits as the more thought out products. There is usually more time, research and engineering put into the more expensive products, which is what usually drives the higher price tag.

Now some value brands are the exception. Years ago there was an off brand muffler out there that was actually made by Borla, pretty much an S Type, and was re stamped and sold at 2/3 of the price of a Borla S Type. Getting on the boards and seeing what others are saying about those products is the best to way to know.

To answer your original questions:

1. SR Springs - I have a set on the Mach right now. They get the job done, lowered the car ~1.5" and aren't too stiff. I will be swapping them out for either H&R Super Sports or MM Coilovers this spring. I have the H&R's on my v6 and love them. As pro 'merica as I am, I have to admit those Germans make some good stuff.

2. SR Control Arms - personally I would pass. Save a bit more and get some good quality, proven ones. Do some research on other forums where guys are relying on suspension components to shave off ET times or improve on track times. Those are the products you should look into if you truly want to improve your car's performance.

3. Strut Tower Brace - Not a bad product, but again it's part of a bigger picture. Ford did reinforce the strut towers starting in 98 iirc, therefore not necessarily needing one from the factory. Guys who are serious in the autocross scene usually run one, but that brace is working in conjunction with other bracing. Subframes, rear tower, and bushings.

So basically if you just want a bunch of crap on your car to fill up your modifications list on your car show plaque, then buy the value oriented stuff. If you want to truly improve the performance of your car, whether it's suspension, engine, braking or even appearance, do some research, make a plan and expect to pay a little bit more, but in the long run, it's worth it.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
God why can't I respond in 2 sentences like the everyone else lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Raptinator says it like it is...that's why I like the guy.

I have found the "you get what you pay for" belief applies to just about everything. I see it almost every day in the manufacturing industry where I work. We like to call the "cheap" products "value oriented" lol.

Here's my .02 about the mustang value oriented products.

Most products like American Muscle's SR line and LMR's SVE line are made overseas at low cost so they can be sold at low prices. There are some guys who just want those mods on their car so those products appeal to them. They aren't really looking for the most performance benefits.
If you read some of the reviews on the upper/lower control arms on both lines (SR & SVE), some reviewers even say they got the products in their hands and saw the actual quality, or lack thereof, of the product.

Maybe they do offer some performance benefits, but overall long term they probably won't hold up or offer quite the same benefits as the more thought out products. There is usually more time, research and engineering put into the more expensive products, which is what usually drives the higher price tag.

Now some value brands are the exception. Years ago there was an off brand muffler out there that was actually made by Borla, pretty much an S Type, and was re stamped and sold at 2/3 of the price of a Borla S Type. Getting on the boards and seeing what others are saying about those products is the best to way to know.

To answer your original questions:

1. SR Springs - I have a set on the Mach right now. They get the job done, lowered the car ~1.5" and aren't too stiff. I will be swapping them out for either H&R Super Sports or MM Coilovers this spring. I have the H&R's on my v6 and love them. As pro 'merica as I am, I have to admit those Germans make some good stuff.

2. SR Control Arms - personally I would pass. Save a bit more and get some good quality, proven ones. Do some research on other forums where guys are relying on suspension components to shave off ET times or improve on track times. Those are the products you should look into if you truly want to improve your car's performance.

3. Strut Tower Brace - Not a bad product, but again it's part of a bigger picture. Ford did reinforce the strut towers starting in 98 iirc, therefore not necessarily needing one from the factory. Guys who are serious in the autocross scene usually run one, but that brace is working in conjunction with other bracing. Subframes, rear tower, and bushings.

So basically if you just want a bunch of crap on your car to fill up your modifications list on your car show plaque, then buy the value oriented stuff. If you want to truly improve the performance of your car, whether it's suspension, engine, braking or even appearance, do some research, make a plan and expect to pay a little bit more, but in the long run, it's worth it.
I don't have any first hand experience with SR products so I can't comment on them but your sentiment regarding budget vs quality products was very well said....

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My last throttle body was SR. 70mm to be exact. It fit nice and looked nice, was bigger than stock and got the job done. However for some reason they made the throttle cable hole to small by a couple thousandths. The end is just over 1/4 inch and the hole was just under 1/4 inch. Made installation a real pain in the butt. I took a carbide drill bit and drilled it out some. But the metal is very tough to drill and not cut springs at the same time. Would I recommend it to someone? Ehh. You can get the summit racing brand TB cheaper and it fits out of the box. And that's what I currently have on mine, a summit racing 75mm TB. You get what you pay for in most cases.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
MoD Fever

Quote:
Hey guys, wasn't planning on spending any money the car for a few month, have spent too much this month on miscallenous things, but unfortunate I tuned in to American muscle . Com by mistake to see what they have, and now I want to get a few things.

Sr black lower control arms? Really interested in these, I would better traction and not spent so much , do they help?

I would like to gradually make my car more of suspension car for now, and I would like to begin with these . Thanks guys yays or nays are appreciated and opinions and personal experience.

WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

I'm selling my upr pro series double adjustable control arms uppers and lowers for $200..

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed
Full Bolt Ons
370RWHP 470RWTQ
12.1 @ 117.9

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

If you wanting to blow your money on some suspension. Lol.

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed
Full Bolt Ons
370RWHP 470RWTQ
12.1 @ 117.9
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:56 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If anything springs are the only thing I'll get from SR

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

Also I think I might just go with the bbk cold air and throttle body or $450

Old 11-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I maintain that the strut tower is a good product. Relatively unnecessary unless accompanied by further bracing, but looks good and fits well.

wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT