Short throw comparison - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Great video on the Steeda Tri-Ax!

Let me know if I can help assist with any questions!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Definitely go with the HURST shifter. I have one in my 2002 GT and its probably the best thing ever. I never miss a shift because the gears click right in and it feels amazing. I would also suggest getting the T Handle with it. I know some people don't like it but its so comfortable in the hand and you can really get to the next gear fast with confidence. spend the extra money, you will love it.
Noah7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah7373 View Post
Definitely go with the HURST shifter. I have one in my 2002 GT and its probably the best thing ever. I never miss a shift because the gears click right in and it feels amazing. I would also suggest getting the T Handle with it. I know some people don't like it but its so comfortable in the hand and you can really get to the next gear fast with confidence. spend the extra money, you will love it.
Ended upgetting the MGW. Love it.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #39
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey

Pic of the Steeda shifter handle plate for those who haven't seen it. Needs to be modified a little for the non-hurst or 3550 shifters.

Hey TJ... why do you guys not make this plate with the right sizing for all the other shifters?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #40
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Is this not the same plate?

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sda-...F1kaAjdF8P8HAQ

I know it says TKO/Hurst, but I figured the bolt pattern was the same.

IG: @rcodemach1
Old 12-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

For your average driver, most aftermarket shifters will be fine, however I've found the Steeda Tri Ax, MGW and Hurst to be of much better build quality and will hold up better when inducing stress (power shifting, no lifts etc.)

I recently purchased a Tri Ax for my Mach 1, build quality, materials and design are top notch.
I have driven cars with both the Tri Ax and MGW and both are very solid shifters. I am sure you are extremely happy with your MGW as I am with my Tri Ax. Great choice.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Is this not the same plate?

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sda-...F1kaAjdF8P8HAQ

I know it says TKO/Hurst, but I figured the bolt pattern was the same.

The holes are 3/8" diameter on a Hurst/3550 shifter. The "regular" bolts are M10 I think... I forget off the top of my head. You need $1 worth of those nylon spacers and a vise to press them in, then drill them out to the bolt size you need and roll.

I still have zero idea why Steeda makes them for shifters almost nobody uses and not for the regular Tri-Ax/other shifters. Only thing that wouldn't be able to use it is the MGW and honestly I think if this plate was advertised decently and get some illustrations of just how much further back the shifter goes then they might be able to steal some business back from MGW.

This is neutral

5th

Spacers needed

I have the plate for the car in my sig while everything is out. There is also the UPR (roush knockoff) handle that is good for reach issues too but I like my shift knob to be vertical, not 45 degrees toward me.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
With an upgraded shifter, I have a huge desire, maybe obsessed, to get a gear set installed because it's just the right thing for someone to do.
I wish Ford Racing offered a slightly higher ratio than the 4.10 set. I highway commute alot. 4.30 would be perfect for the high revin' 4V motor,
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #44
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
With an upgraded shifter, I have a huge desire, maybe obsessed, to get a gear set installed because it's just the right thing for someone to do.

I wish Ford Racing offered a slightly higher ratio than the 4.10 set. I highway commute alot. 4.30 would be perfect for the high revin' 4V motor,

FRPP doesn't offer anything between 4.10's and 4.56? Pretty sure I'm gonna go with 4.10's at some point in the next year or so. I just bought a set of 17x10.5 wheels to match my fronts so I still have to buy tires coming up this spring lol.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
FRPP doesn't offer anything between 4.10's and 4.56? Pretty sure I'm gonna go with 4.10's at some point in the next year or so. I just bought a set of 17x10.5 wheels to match my fronts so I still have to buy tires coming up this spring lol.

Years ago Ford Racing actually made 4.30's and 3.90's but I think they stopped production on them.
Now Motive makes gears for FRPP in all ratios. If the part number has an "M" at the end then they are Motive made. I have heard they are not made quite the same as the original FRPP gears.

I have been happy with my 4.10's (actual FRPP ones), if my shop didn't give me a great deal on the gears/install I would've waited for some old FRPP 4.30's to surface.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 12-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I recently purchased a Tri Ax for my Mach 1, build quality, materials and design are top notch.
I have driven cars with both the Tri Ax and MGW and both are very solid shifters. I am sure you are extremely happy with your MGW as I am with my Tri Ax. Great choice.
Love to hear it ... & we appreciate the support!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #47
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Years ago Ford Racing actually made 4.30's and 3.90's but I think they stopped production on them.
Now Motive makes gears for FRPP in all ratios. If the part number has an "M" at the end then they are Motive made. I have heard they are not made quite the same as the original FRPP gears.

I have been happy with my 4.10's (actual FRPP ones), if my shop didn't give me a great deal on the gears/install I would've waited for some old FRPP 4.30's to surface.

Motive makes them all now. There is no 4.30 FRPP set but there is a 4.30 Motive set so its all the same. I have heard of some issues with the Motives as far as noise or break in but I've never used them myself. Never ever had an issue with the older legit FRPP gears.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Motive makes them all now. There is no 4.30 FRPP set but there is a 4.30 Motive set so its all the same. I have heard of some issues with the Motives as far as noise or break in but I've never used them myself. Never ever had an issue with the older legit FRPP gears.
Same here. Apparently Motives and Richmonds are known for noise. Some shops claim it's all in the install, but I've almost never heard of the actual FRPP gears making noise or meshing incorrectly when installed correctly. Who knows, either way I'm happy with mine and they don't make a sound.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:18 AM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

Next set of gears that I need done I'm buying the tools and doing it so I'll know the install is right and also not have to pay some shop $600 for something I can do in an afternoon listening to bad early 2000s music and drinking Yuengling.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My car had this handle with the stock shifter when I bought it and it does make a difference cause I thought I had a short sfifter until I took the boot off and saw it was stock so I m have the mgw and it s awesome

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Westcoast408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:27 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast408 View Post
My car had this handle with the stock shifter when I bought it and it does make a difference cause I thought I had a short sfifter until I took the boot off and saw it was stock so I m have the mgw and it s awesome

My car had this handle when I bought it and it does make a difference cause I thought I had a short shifter until I took the boot off and saw it was stock so this handle alone will change the whole feeling of a stock shifter.

99 Mustang GT F.R 3.73s, MGW Short Shifter, BBK Cai, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, SR Lowering Springs, Koni shocks and struts, Mach 1 Grill Delete, Black Billet Fuel Cap, Trick Flow 75mm Plenum, Raxiom Smoked Tail lights, Magnapack Mufflers
Old 03-11-2016, 02:29 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I bought the mgw and love it, its so smooth

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT