Newb Pony Driver - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Newb Pony Driver

Hi, so I finally bought a pony and really love it. it has a 4.6 in it and my buddies are talking about me racing again. (used to race when i was younger-camaros). but we are talking about putting a different motor in it. i have had all kinds of suggestions. dont know what to do. i honestly dont know much about mustangs. i want to keep her street legal so i have my "friday car" and would love some suggestions especially from other mustang lovers.
some of the suggestions i have had are like rebuilding and modding the 4.6, or putting a cobra engine in it, or a rb25 or a hemi.
i know it really depends on what i want to do with the car and what my expectations are and budget, yadda yadda. so what i guess i am looking for is some suggestions as to what i should start with? when i start racing, it will be on a 1/4m track and like i said want to keep it street legal. its a standard and plan on keeping it standard.
i have been trying to do as much research but there is so much info and opinions out there that i'm at the point i almost wish someone would just tell me what to do! lol.
when i raced the camaro, i just got in and drove. i had my ex's family of mechanics that helped me make these decisions with me and now i dont!
I am a newb, i admit it so please be gentle! lol!
CrysD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If your looking to be competitive in the 1/4 with the 2 valve you have a couple options. You could stay n/a, do heads, long tubes, cam, tune gears etc etc. It's a labor intensive process and expensive. Your better bet would be boost. Spaying it would be cheaper and give you the extra umph for the strip. However cost to power, forced induction would be your best bet with the 2 valve.

Now with motor swaps, it's up to you. You can drop whatever you want in there provided you have the know how and funding to do so. I'd personally drop in a built coyote and call it good, but that gets way up there in cost, labor and headaches. I just don't have the time to do it, and wouldn't pay someone to do it for me.

I've switched gears and decided to skip the FI and do full bolt ons with a hit of juice for the occasional trip to the strip on mine. Cost wise I could go FI for the same or less money, but I don't have the experience to do so my self. I can however do bolt ons and nitrous myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't mind me asking why an RB25? The 26 is a lot better and is factory twin turbo. If you would go with a Nissan motor at least do the Godzilla engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bgrimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I will say what I have said in many other threads like this. If you are looking at this from a pure $$$ standpoint, you will spend less money flat out buying a 2011/2012 base model GT than swapping something into a 96-04 car that will be any sort of worthwhile. Building a 4.6L is not cheap and you NEED a power adder. Coyote swap is not cheap either. Maybe a Chevy 4.8 or 5.3L...

My recommendation is to sell it and buy something that is faster right out of the box because, like I said, it'll be cheaper.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

^^ +1

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wawanesa5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I fully agree with what Scotty has said, it's hard to beat the price to power ratio of the 11-12 GT's. That being said, if you go the engine swap route, PLEASE try something other than an LS. I know they are about as cheap as they come for a V8, but so many drag cars get them swapped in I'm so tired of seeing it. Something different would be nice to see every now and then! I'm a firm believer in sticking to the same make of engine getting swapped in, but to each his own. No matter what you'll have some fun on the strip, so good luck to you!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Some of the better options you have if you don't want to spend a lot of money is to put a LS ( Chevy ) engine In there ,you can find 5.3 engines all day for cheap.. and just spray it until it blows up.

Or a 2011-2014 5.0 engine in there ,

I wouldn't build the 2V 4.6 engine .. not worth the money and power.

Or do a complete swap from a 03 - 04 cobra.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Or do a cheap build
( Good pistons , 5.0L Coyote connecting rods , Custom grind camshafts ) Long tubes, and a F1 Procharger..
Local 2V guy with a F1 here is pushing around 500-550rwhp

infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous281 View Post
Some of the better options you have if you don't want to spend a lot of money is to put a LS ( Chevy ) engine In there ,you can find 5.3 engines all day for cheap.. and just spray it until it blows up.

Or a 2011-2014 5.0 engine in there ,

I wouldn't build the 2V 4.6 engine .. not worth the money and power.

Or do a complete swap from a 03 - 04 cobra.

Complete swap from a 03-04 Cobra will cost damn near as much as just buying a 03-04 Cobra when you factor in the cost of the car. And it'll still lose to a 11+ GT in a race bolt on vs bolt on but it'll probably be more fun on the street.

Coyote engine is going to be $15k for the swap DIY plus the cost of the car plus misc stuff plus whatever your time is worth if you are DIY. You can get real nice base model 11/12s for $20-$22k all day long and have a much nicer overall car.

LS engines are done to death but there is a reason. TBTH if you want to get the LS engine, sell the Mustang and buy a F body (). Get the automatic F body if you want a badder *** 1/4 mile car and not have to worry about the rear grenading.

And I know I sound like a hypocrite with the car in my signature. Except I paid $5500 for the whole car with a blown motor and I'm doing all my own work with a $500 replacement pullout motor. And the car has 34k original miles and is a numbered special edition.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT