Looking for a few ponies - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
Looking for a few ponies

Since my stang seems like it needs a little tuning up and I've been wanting a little more power lately I decided on getting a little bit more after market for it. I'm looking for around 10-15 more rwhp. I got a new sct bama tuner coming in the mail and a new cai since my cai setup now has seen some better days and someone decided to get a smaller filter and run it instead of inside the fender its in the engine bay with no heat sheild. So I have the new tuner and intake coming then I think I'm going to go with a set of underdrives and probably some aftermarket coil packs since I just got new plugs and have Ford racing wires why not get a good set of coil packs. So new tuner intake underdrive pulleys and aftermarket coil packs. What do you guys think?
arena314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Stick with the OEM cops the aftermarket ones are notorious for failing and you wont get anymore power from them. Do the tune, cat back, throttle body/plenum and you should get a little more than your 10-15 hp on a good tune.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:53 AM   #3

I already have an o/r xpipe with magnaflow magnapck mufflers pi heads cams and manifold 373's and tr3650 trans. So I was looking for something else to do I'm still on a stock throttle body and plenum. And what about the underdrive pulleys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
None of the stuff you listed in the first post is going to add hardly any power, much less 10-15. All the advertised stuff is overblown or flat out lying. The tune will make a performance difference tho.

Coil packs and wires... I'm going to assume you are a 96-98 then? 99-up has COPs and no wires. If you have a 96-98 leave the stock coil packs alone and pick up the black Motorcraft wires from Rockauto. They are cheaper and nicer than anything else out. If you are 99-04 then just rebuild your stock COPs with a $30 boot/spring kit from Amazon. OEM Coil Packs and COPs are better than aftermarket ones. All the "blaster, turbo, nipples of jesus" coils... that is all advertising.

If your CAI is that beat up it needed replaced then definitely get a new one but putting the filter in the engine bay is going to COST you power vs the stock setup. Definitely won't gain anything.

You should be looking at doing gears if you haven't done them already and an aftermarket midpipe if you are still running the stocker. Besides that... suspension, suspension, suspension... shifter... subframes... all that stuff.

Post a list of exactly all you have done. I'm not trying to be a downer but I wish when I had gotten into these cars someone had sat me down and told me "don't ****ing waste your money on bull**** because it doesn't do anything".

Besides exhaust and tuner, there is not much power to be unlocked in these cars NA. And that is fine because a PI car running at about 255rwhp with a good gear and suspension setup is capable of being a real fun street car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #5

373 gears
Pi heads manifold and cams
****ty cai (getting a new one)
Ebiach struts and lowering springs with jm caster camber plates
Pypes off-road x pipe with magnapck mufflers
Pro 5.0 short shifter
Tremic 3650 transmission
Fr500 rims Tires are 265's all around
Apparently it's bama tuned but I don't think it is bc it runs a little rough. Running rich and rev takes forever before it goes down to idle. Other then that it's all stock. TB/plenum pulleys and all is stock
Old 12-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

So you are a PI swapped 96-98 then? You have not mentioned the year of your car. Those are actually a little more powerful than a regular 99-04 motor because they wind up with higher compression after the swap.

-Leave the coil packs alone
-$50 Motorcraft wire set from Rockauto
-JLT CAI
-The 96-98 cars had T45s, not 3650s... unless someone swapped in a 3650 like I did in my old 98. You can tell just by looking at the trans. Easy way is if the drain hole for the fluid is on the bottom its a 3650, side is a T45.
-Bama will not tune for a PI swapped car so you do not have a Bama tune on there if you are a 96-98s. Whoever told you that either didn't know or was lying to you. If lying then they could have been lying about other stuff. Get ahold of MPT (more power tuning) ASAP for a new tune because running around with an unknown tune is just asking for it.
He will do email tunes for swapped cars.

I'd also take it to get an alignment done, full tune up with new plugs (APP104s gapped to .054), clean the MAF element with MAF cleaner, oil, trans fluid etc...

As far as mods you can do... TB/Plenum for $279 for the TFS setup is your best bet there but you won't really gain much. I'd go for Steeda subframe connectors, some good lower control arms like MM or Steeda and just get it running right first. That unknown tune on there... that is the FIRST thing I would address.

edit: And if it sounds like I am being down on your car I am not at all, I love 96-98s, so underrated and they are a HUGE bang for the buck Mustang because nobody wants them it seems.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #7

I have a 96 gt and the trans is a 3650 bc i had to go under there to change a seal and that's when I saw it. All the mods I listed I know are on the car bc I've picked it all apart to make sure that's what it had. And your saying bama wont tune a pi swapped gt?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Bama will not tune a PI swap car, you will need to go with MPT or a local dyno tune. Steeda will not either. I had a 98GT with an actual complete PI motor out of a 99 and they still would not tune it. Which is fine because MPT is there for you and they do actual remote tunes vs just canned.

For a 3650, remove the stops from your shifter completely, the 3650 has internal stops and shifter stops can keep it from engaging fully. I'd be interested to see the crossmember setup yours is using because I had to use the Stiffler's tubular crossmember with mine and a 95-down style trans mount. The 96-98 T45 mount setup is not compatible. Just something to be aware of if you ever mess with it.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #9

Will even an aftermarket shifter have the stops?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #10

And what do you mean I'm asking for it with an unknown tune?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by arena314 View Post
Will even an aftermarket shifter have the stops?
Yes they do and I have no idea why. Probably because its just a slightly modified T45 shifter and it was cheaper to just keep getting them made the same way. The T45 and 3650 shifters are VERY close. But just pull off the shifter boot and look because a LOT of ppl aren't aware that you do not use the stops on a 3650 trans and they set them and if they set them wrong or if one of them moves a little over time it can cause issues.

Quote:
And what do you mean I'm asking for it with an unknown tune?
If you are running the car with an unknown tune you have no idea who tuned it, how they tuned it, if they knew what they were doing etc... If its a crappy tune it could damage something or cause issues over time.

If you can, flash it back to stock because it will run just fine with the stock 96-98 tune on it. And then get a fresh tune from someone so you now will have a known quantity in that dept.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #12

Unfortunately I have a sct tuner coming in the mail but since that won't tune my car I'll just have to bring it back to stock
Old 12-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Unfortunately I have a sct tuner coming in the mail but since that won't tune my car I'll just have to bring it back to stock
If its from bama then no the "bama tunes for life" will do you no good. I'd PM Alex on the AM section of this forum and see if he can do anything for you.

But you will need a SCT tuner regardless to load a new tune. You can get an unlocked/unmarried SCT3 on the evilbays for $150-$200. That's what I did.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #14

It's from bama lol. I just read that they won't tune a full pi swapped car but they will tune it with the swap
Old 12-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hmmm that's not what they told me... asshats... Lol. Well if they'll tune your car then roll with it. I'd email them just to make sure. Either way SOMEONE will be able to do an email tune to get you going.

Oh yeah for that 3650, I'd definitely do the fluid on that ASAP. It takes 3.2 quarts of fluid exactly and its important to not overfill. Fluid I had spectacular results with is Pennzoil Synchromesh. Its $8 per bottle at Autozone. In a yellow bottle.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #16

They said they'd tune my car I'm starting to think my car isn't tuned at all bc its running rich and takes a while to go down to idle when its reved. And my mph is off a little bit would a tune fix that?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Normally a tune will fix the speedo easy. Here is the thing with the 3650 swaps, you have to use a speedcal to get the speedo working right because the 3650 is OSS (reluctor wheel) and the 98-down cars are VSS (gears). Need a speedcal to convert the something like 30,000+ OSS pulses per mile to what the computer expects which is 8,000 ppm. So I'm going to say 100% you have some sort of speedcal device under the shift boot. It will be a little box looking thing.

I can probably do some quick math for you and give you your switch settings since I still have all the sites saved. That'll get your speedo on point. Like I said I had a 98GT with a brand new 3650 swapped in that I did 100% myself and had to figure out all these "gotchas" myself with the swap. To do the switch settings I need your rear tire size and you said you have 3.73s right?

As far as the tune goes. Stock tune should run it just fine. I'd have to say there is either something wrong with a sensor somewhere or its got a borked tune on it. Or it just needs a tune up.

Oh, and when you do the spark plugs make sure you use a torque wrench. These heads strip EASY. 15ft lbs.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #18

I did the plugs 2 weeks ago I had my buddy do it whose a mustang freak but didn't use a tq wrench and I do have a black box under my shifter. My speedo is 6 mph over so if it 45 I'm doing 39 mph but my gas guage is also off a little as well as my tac and my oil and coolant temp guages don't work so my cluster is probably just faulty. My rear tire width is. 265 with 373 gears for sure bc I did axle seals and the gears said 373 so I know that for sure. I believe my tac is somewhere around 500 rpms off bc it says I idle at 1500 where its probably like 800-1000 at idle. Also will the tune wake up my car and give me those rwhp numbers I wanted maybe 10 rwhp more?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ugh, your buddy should know better honestly. I'm not trying to be an "e-thug" and bash someone from behind the safety of a monitor or anything but with 4 thread aluminum plug holes... 15ft lbs is literally finger tight and then a touch tighter and that's it. And basic wrenches are like $15 at HF so no reason to not use one.

Anyway...

Are there aftermarket gauges or something? Dude could have just been a moron about the needles going back on right. I need the actual tire overall diameter, 265 is just the width. Like 265/xx/xx number.

That black box is the speedcal, it is most likely a Dallas Extended range unit, if you pop it open (4 screws) there will be a little dipswitch bank in there with I think like 10 tiny switches. If you give me your sidewall number I can get you the switch setting later on and you can compare it to what is in there and see if it was off.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #20

It's 265/35/17

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

18*

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

265/35/18*
Old 12-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
BAMA gave me a tune for my PI head & intake swap
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #22

How was it?
Old 12-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

It works well, I like it , I have gotten several tunes from them over the last 2 yrs & have always been satisfied .they do have some limitations on some applications such as they dont tune over 100 HP nitrous shot & up to 24 lb injectors ,I had 34lb so had to make a change , thats the only 2 details to come up , I Wanted 150 HP shot of nos but settled for the 100
Old 12-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #24

Sounds good seems like you can use them for alot of mods though
Old 12-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

get the tunes for life & any time you do a mod that requires a tune BAMA will hook you up
Old 12-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #26

I went with the tuner from bama and ordered it
Old 12-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Right On , good move , takes a couple weeks to get , you will fill out a info form about your car [ computer code , tire size , mods , exaust , rear gear size ] and will come pre programmed for your car only .....Love Mine....Good Luck
Old 12-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #28

Yup did all that I chose a an 87 tube 91 tube and 93 tune and put all the info head swap trans swap gears and all. Think I'll feel a boost in power?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I expect you will, I Only use 93 octane so I have 2 - 93 tunes & a race gas tune , I switch between tunes all the time & can feel the differance with each
Old 12-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #30

I'll be on the 93 tune for sure since I'm looking for the most out of my car. What year is your stang?
Old 12-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

98 with 5 spd ...if you have a automatic trans you will really see a improvement since the tune changes shift points.... my car wont run on the stock tune anymore but its saved in the tuner
Old 12-09-2015, 04:37 PM   #32

I have a tremic 3650 swap
Old 12-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

NICE...are you in Philly?I
Old 12-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #34

I'm right around the philly area
Old 12-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Lived in Harrowgate section for 20 yrs , in The Poconos now .....BORING

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT