Max hp a 4.6 can handle - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdered5.0 View Post
Yeah im gonna keep my fox and get it fine tuned and dyno it to see the hp and maybe put a turbo on it at low boost

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Just hit it with a shot of nitrous or S trim it if you are dead set on going FI. That motor will have plenty of low end. Centri blowers and pushrods go really well together.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Just hit it with a shot of nitrous or S trim it if you are dead set on going FI. That motor will have plenty of low end. Centri blowers and pushrods go really well together.

I was thinking turbo because i wont always be in boost so when im not having fun in it i can drive it like how it was before

Murdered5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I was thinking turbo because i wont always be in boost so when im not having fun in it i can drive it like how it was before

Centri blower works the same way.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

I was reading in other forums that a turbo is the better way to go for a daily foxbody

Old 12-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I was reading in other forums that a turbo is the better way to go for a daily foxbody

There are far FAR more supercharged Mustangs than turbos. Not counting the 15+ ecos. There are upsides and downsides to both options.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Thats another reason why i wanna turbo because not to many people have them

Old 12-10-2015, 12:44 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Could go 351w too and just stay n/a after

Old 12-10-2015, 01:31 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Could go 351w too and just stay n/a after

This is the direction that I would tend to go.
A N/A 351 based engine stroked into the 400 inch range. It's simple and reliable.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
This is the direction that I would tend to go.

A N/A 351 based engine stroked into the 400 inch range. It's simple and reliable.

It is my daily so i cant go to crazy

Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #45
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
It is my daily so i cant go to crazy

No need to go crazy and the most important thing in building a 351w is to find the right block. The early blocks.....and I have had quite a few of these.....from late 1971 to early 1974 had almost 10lb extra and all of that was in the main web area. Ford initially built the motors to accept 4 bolt mains but for whatever reason it didn't happen and they went into production with that in mind.
Back in the day I along with my machinist Bob Gromm did a fair amount of work on the OE 351w block to get it to live above 600hp...N/A ofcourse. Although most people use main girdles we found out that when putting a main girdle on and when you torque it down.....even though you honed the mains with it on....you could never achieve exactly the main bearing clearance....and the result is mains are no longer round by some .0001 to .00005. I know this doesn't sound like much and when you are trying to squeeze every last ounce of HP/TQ out of a motor....
Anyway, the block needs to be mod'd to priority oiling and we also tapped into the oil gallery for more oil to the timing chain and distributor gear as the OE oiling in this area is not enough to maintain sufficient oil for anything over 450/500hp.
So with that in mind...and early block, oiling system mod's, good heads like Trickflow, Eledelbrock, AFR.....decent roller cam and ignition and you can make 500hp with a bored/stroked 408.........rotating assemblies are really a dime a dozen now...........and if you stay at 500 or under it will very reliable motor and it will last for a long time with minimal maintenance...and run on pump gas.......no, you don't need 4bolt mains....on the other hand having an extra 10lbs of main material in the main web area can make a difference in longevity.
I've built a number of these and the last one in my Maverick did 9.80 with a single 850 Holley..............I've had a little experience both on the dyno and down the strip with these motors............just passing on my experience so hopefully someone can benefit from my mistakes......and I have made a few.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
No need to go crazy and the most important thing in building a 351w is to find the right block. The early blocks.....and I have had quite a few of these.....from late 1971 to early 1974 had almost 10lb extra and all of that was in the main web area. Ford initially built the motors to accept 4 bolt mains but for whatever reason it didn't happen and they went into production with that in mind.

Back in the day I along with my machinist Bob Gromm did a fair amount of work on the OE 351w block to get it to live above 600hp...N/A ofcourse. Although most people use main girdles we found out that when putting a main girdle on and when you torque it down.....even though you honed the mains with it on....you could never achieve exactly the main bearing clearance....and the result is mains are no longer round by some .0001 to .00005. I know this doesn't sound like much and when you are trying to squeeze every last ounce of HP/TQ out of a motor....

Anyway, the block needs to be mod'd to priority oiling and we also tapped into the oil gallery for more oil to the timing chain and distributor gear as the OE oiling in this area is not enough to maintain sufficient oil for anything over 450/500hp.

So with that in mind...and early block, oiling system mod's, good heads like Trickflow, Eledelbrock, AFR.....decent roller cam and ignition and you can make 500hp with a bored/stroked 408.........rotating assemblies are really a dime a dozen now...........and if you stay at 500 or under it will very reliable motor and it will last for a long time with minimal maintenance...and run on pump gas.......no, you don't need 4bolt mains....on the other hand having an extra 10lbs of main material in the main web area can make a difference in longevity.

I've built a number of these and the last one in my Maverick did 9.80 with a single 850 Holley..............I've had a little experience both on the dyno and down the strip with these motors............just passing on my experience so hopefully someone can benefit from my mistakes......and I have made a few.

Wouldnt it get pretty bad gas milage?

Old 12-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Depends on what you consider pretty bad gas mileage. I think one I helped build got about 14mpg around town and 20 on the highway....if you have a heavy right foot most of the time it will be worse. That was with a 5spd and 3.73 gears. I think that's pretty reasonable for 500hp.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Wow 14 is pretty good for that

Old 12-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp11c

Like something like this i was thinking about

Old 12-11-2015, 01:52 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

That seems like it would be a nice engine for a "hot rod" daily driver.
I don't know anything about that company that builds them, though, ATK. And I didn't see where they mentioned about a warranty of some sort.
It looks like it is basically a rebuilt 351 stock bottom end with aluminum heads, and cam, and induction system.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:56 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i think thats what it is, havent heard much about them either

Old 12-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I would definitely do some research on them, before buying an engine from them.

I see that you live in Canada. Isn't there some considerable taxes, or tariffs, to consider when purchasing automotive parts that are brought in from outside the country?
If so, I suppose that is another thing to consider before purchasing an engine.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:06 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah right now the canadian dollar is **** so a $6000 engine would be like $8000 so i wouldnt get it right away and wait until summer

Old 12-11-2015, 02:08 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5316949182.html

I was also thinking of buying this car with a built "351" for the same price the engine would be and swapping motors and selling it with my engine in it

Old 12-11-2015, 02:18 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Now you are speaking my language!
Yes, If that is a healthy, well built engine, and you could get the car for a bit cheaper than the advertised price, that is a very good option for doing a performance engine swap on the cheap. And whatever else that's good on that car!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:29 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Probably the engine and the tranny plus the hood for the clearance

Old 12-11-2015, 02:33 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

If i could get it for $5500 us it would be $7500 canadian

Old 12-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #58
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are buying a pre-built pushrod Ford there is literally only one place you should be spending your money.

www.fordstrokers.com

/end

Old 12-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #59
Registered Member

Regular

Everybody and their brother says they can build a 351w "crate motor" or "crate shorblock"......very few can prove it with dyno tests. Just like the Mustang for sale in Portland which is 50 miles up the road from me saying he has a 500hp 351...........if he can prove it I may believe him........you have no idea who put it together or how they put it together.........personally I call BS. There are a handful of really good Ford engine builders here on the West Coast and as far as going past the Rockies I can't say a thing.
I'd really have to pencil it out but I believe you could build the motor and come pretty close to 500hp on a $5k budget. The block and block prep is extremely important and non of the adds I saw posted mentioned much about priority oiling, getting more oil to the timing chain or what year block they are using...my guess is they go out to the local wrecking yard and pull the first thing they see.........the rotating assembly can be had from any number of companies although I would never use anything other than Total Seal rings and have them custom made to the piston diameter and bore after none...then the cam and valve train.....extremely, extremely important along with selecting the heads as they must work together....and of course the cam will need to be a roller.
The most important thing on putting together a motor that makes HP/TQ is the amount of time you spend blueprinting the motor.....start with prepping the block...priority oiling, port and polish the oil pump and block...clean all of the threads....not with a tap but with a chase........line hone, use studs instead of bolts, clean and coat the web area and valley area (this you can do)..........just use the best possible parts you can afford and put the motor together yourself starting with the crank, then the cam and timing chain.....then the rods/pistons/rings...and check with a dial type torque wrench and spin the motor at each step as you assemble the motor....something not right will show up as more drag. I could go on for hours.
I would say if you are looking to do a motor and have never done one before tackle it yourself......find a good machinist in your local area and start accumulating the parts.....if you rely on someone else you will never learn and learning how to assemble your own motor will give you skills for helping to tune the motor and diagnose problems...............and if you need help...........we are here and the internet is a great thing for using "skype" or other forms of visual tools.
You can pay money to have someone do anything and if you are not there to see what is done you will never really know what was done.
One last piece of advise............buying a crate motor is crap shoot unless the crate motor came from someone you know and trust...(warranties are like belly buttons, everyone has one and how good are they when the engine builder is 2000 miles away)....and that is close at hand!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Well now i need to go look for another foxbody. Got woken up at 3am to my neighbours and cops at my door saying someone ran into my car and drove off. The car is done and getting wrote off. Getting 3500 for it

Old 12-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #61
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well at least you have coverage... that really sucks man. Do you have a budget to add that $3500 to? You might be able to find something that is already done. Dead set on another Fox?

Hope nothing else was damaged on your property and glad nobody was in the car. I can almost guarantee someone was texting and driving. Happened to a car in my old neighborhood parked on the road. Some idiot texting and driving at night and didn't expect a car there and just plowed right into it.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #62
Registered Member

Regular

Sorry to hear about the car and although it's gone at least no one was injured.
Looks like you've got a blank canvas now.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah good thing my neighbour was outside having a smoke so he saw what the truck looked like, not to many lime green cummins around here

Old 12-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

So im either going to get a 4 cylinder foxbody for cheap and do an engine swap and tranny swap by summer or save up for this by summer

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5320655696.html

Old 12-12-2015, 05:30 PM   #65
Staff
Regular
Staff

Doubt that'll last by summer... but you can get a base for that price or less if you are patient. Definitely get that vs a 4 cyl fox swap.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it definatly wont be for sale by summer. Hoping to find a clean foxbody by summer, id rather have a foxbody

Old 12-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #67
Staff
Regular
Staff

Take a test drive in a newer Mustang, you may change your tune... But nothing like a well done clean fox. But you will spend near Coyote money to get a nice car, swap it with a 351 stroker and build the rest of the car to take that power. Hell, you might spend more.

If you do get a fox, get a notch.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

I drove my friends 2014 coyote with normal bolt ons. I loved it, it was very fast and very nice but i see alot of them around and i like being the only person with a clean fox. If i can afford the payments by summer time then i may do the coyote but if any clean foxbody comes for sale id take it in a heart beat

Old 12-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #69
Registered Member

Regular

Ok, here is my vote.........the motor looks pretty much bullet proof.
May be a little on the pricey side, but I'll bet you could show your tail lights to most Coyote's.

Cars for Sale: 1992 Ford Mustang Coupe in West Chicago, IL 60185: Coupe Details - 414672670 - Autotrader
Old 12-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

That is nice but to far from me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT