Max hp a 4.6 can handle - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
400rwhp on a 2v sohc engine stock engine setup is definitely do-able.
I'd worry more over 450rwhp ..
But the engine is the least worry , the transmission is rated around 300-350rwtq .. I do know a guy with a 500ish hp bullitt who beat on it a lot and the stock trans held up..
If your worried about the engine just buy some boss 302 connecting rods and a decent pair of pistons ( size depending on bore , and CP you want to achieve ) and call it a day , don't even worry about upgrading the crank .. no need and no need for arp hardware either.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Ok, here is my vote.........the motor looks pretty much bullet proof.

May be a little on the pricey side, but I'll bet you could show your tail lights to most Coyote's.

Cars for Sale: 1992 Ford Mustang Coupe in West Chicago, IL 60185: Coupe Details - 414672670 - Autotrader

714rwhp in a 2900 pound car would br crazy to handle

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Murdered5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #73
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdered5.0 View Post
714rwhp in a 2900 pound car would br crazy to handle

Yeah, but it would A Lot Of Fun!!!! Hopefully the guy has done a substantial amount of suspension work.........the only thing that would worry me is they say it is "Track Ready".....not without a full cage!!!!!
olerodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Did i read it right that it said 225 on all 4?

Old 12-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #75
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Did i read it right that it said 225 on all 4?

All of that section was written word for word out of the Ford Brochure when it was stock. The rears were 315/30/18 and not sure what the fronts were.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Okay good they need 315, i like it because it doesnt look like its set up for drag or have a huge role cage or gutted interior. I emailed the guy ill let you know what he sais

Old 12-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #77
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Okay good they need 315, i like it because it doesnt look like its set up for drag or have a huge role cage or gutted interior. I emailed the guy ill let you know what he sais

Sounds like a "Road Trip" is in order. Make sure you ask him a lot of questions about the suspension and what he has done to make sure all of the power gets to the pavement. If it wasn't for the hood and wheels and tires it would make one heck of sleeper!
It sounds like he has spent quite a sump on the motor, just the block is about $2200 and shaft mounted rockers aren't cheap.......probably $10k on the motor..........just depends on how long it's been run since being put together.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

If he emails me back soon i could be up there right after christmas. I wonder if its even possible to daily it without spinning

Old 12-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #79
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
If he emails me back soon i could be up there right after christmas. I wonder if its even possible to daily it without spinning

It's a 5spd.........just depends on what the rearend gears are..............not sure gas mileage is going to be great though..........would be a heck of DD!
Old 12-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

If you stay out of boost it wouldnt be the worst but my daily is like a 15 minute drive at the most to work

Old 12-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder how much boost its running for 714rwhp

Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #82
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
If you stay out of boost it wouldnt be the worst but my daily is like a 15 minute drive at the most to work

I assume it's a custom roller cam...solid or hydraulic....high port TF heads with shaft rockers......my guess is running without boost won't make a lot of difference as the gas mileage is going to be..............a lot less than you old car......I'd have to look at in person and go over with a fine tooth comb but it does look nice. Are the torque boxes welded and what else has been done to have it reliably hold the 700whp.... how many miles/hours does the motor have on it since it was built. A motor like this.....just to refresh it will cost a fair chunk of change assuming you can find a shop that knows what they are doing..........
Old 12-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah once he emails me back i will tell you guys everything he sais. Let me know anything you want me to ask him

Old 12-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Dont think its a car where you dont have to worry about rebuilding the motor after a certain amount of miles

Old 12-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #85
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I wonder how much boost its running for 714rwhp

Not sure about the rotating assembly but the Iron Eagle block can and has taken over 1000hp...........and 800hp at the crank should give you a healthy safety margin.....just depends on the crank/rod/pistons/rings/bearings and what they setup the clearances at. I think they said there were dyno and build sheets available.........would be interesting to see them and find out who and when the motor was assembled.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not sure about the rotating assembly but the Iron Eagle block can and has taken over 1000hp...........and 800hp at the crank should give you a healthy safety margin.....just depends on the crank/rod/pistons/rings/bearings and what they setup the clearances at. I think they said there were dyno and build sheets available.........would be interesting to see them and find out who and when the motor was assembled.

Yeah im not looking for a car where i have to worry about breaking something if i go wide open throttle. Dont know if its a safe reliable car for 6 months out of the year

Old 12-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #87
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Dont think its a car where you dont have to worry about rebuilding the motor after a certain amount of miles

This is a race motor...........plain and simple..........and you need to maintain it like you would a drag car or road race car motor..........you would not be following the same rules as a normal street car, you'd be changing oil often, taking the oil filter off every oil change and cut it apart to make sure there are no metal filings, checking timing often, changing plugs quite often and probably checking valve lash quite often, doing leak-down tests when you change plugs to catch something before it happens, keeping a log of all of this so you can follow the health of the motor...............you want to dodge the bullets, not take them in butt................Iron Eagle bare block, $2500, HPTFS bare heads $2000, valves/springs/retainers $800, shaft mounted rockers $1500, roller cam/lifters $1000, rotating assembly $2000, bearings and rings $500+.....not to mention the small stuff.
As I said............this is for all intense and purposes a race motor and to make it live you would have to treat it as such.
Then there is the chassis to look after and maintain...............high RWHP cars need just as much TLC as a race car............or maybe more...IMHO
Old 12-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah might not be thecar im looking for than

Old 12-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #89
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yeah im not looking for a car where i have to worry about breaking something if i go wide open throttle. Dont know if its a safe reliable car for 6 months out of the year

I don't think I'd be driving the car in bad weather and would think of it as a fair weather monster. The motor form what was written looked pretty bullet proof, guess you'd have to find out what was done to harness the power to the ground to make that determination.
I ran a single carb motor in my Maverick put together very similar to this only a 351 block for over 5 seasons of hard drag racing although it had a Powerglide and I never had any problems except normal maintenance............I could send pictures of what the inside looked like when I tore it apart if you want. If you have good components and it's put together right and maintained right it will last...............IMHO
Old 12-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #90
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
This is not going to be like a GT500 where you can turn it to 700+ and just keep an eye on stuff... for all intents and purposes. You daily that car and 1- you may kill yourself and 2- its going to be WORK to maintain it. Also driving a car like that over long trips gets old... fast.

I know you want another fast sports car but I would take a step back and evaluate everything you want in a car. What mileage you need, creature comforts, insurance, maintenance etc... I'll go right ahead and say even a modded Cyclone is going to be about as quick or quicker than what you had so going up to a 700hp race car... I'll be the guy who says what we are all thinking, not a good idea.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

I would only use it for summer and sunny day car, i could get another car for a daily. But id have it insured for 6 months becaise here we have about 6 months of good weather

Old 12-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #92
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I will say from experience with cars like this... bad to buy from a dealer and not from a seller you can meet and assess. There is a reason it got sold to a dealer and not another enthusiast and you know the dealer did not give CLOSE to that price. He could have gotten that price all day on some of the big Mustang forums if the car was totally good.

$16,000 for a white notch with those miles and those mods... something is up...

Also that 3550 trans will let go at that power level unless its been beefed up, they only have 10 spline input shafts and 28 out.

Only way I would say you should go for a car like that is if you have a LOT of experience working with these cars, with FI and if that dealer has legit EVERY receipt for it and take a trip over to the shop the built the motor and tuned the car to see if they sound like they are retarded or not. And since you came into this thread asking how much a 4.6L can handle and if you should trade your 306 for one... I'm not trying to be harsh and I'd say go take a look at it if you are really dead set on it but my recommendation is get something more your "speed" before you jump into something like that.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah thats what i was thinking myself, it is a very nice car but i dont think id be able to tale it and possible killing myself. It would need lots of care and im not the greatest mechanic

Old 12-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #94
Registered Member

Regular

What Scotty and I have told you is pretty much the way it is.
Personally I love push rod motors, especially SBF's. Assuming the motor is not 90% used up it sounds like a killer motor and has all of the right components to make it live at that HP level.
When I first started drag racing I went from a car making 2 times more HP than I had ever driven before..........I learned a lot and had a lot of help. I can tell you from a drag race side that the car.....if it can hook........is a solid low 9 second car in the 1/4 and can also tell you with that much HP you need a lot of seat time to get the feel for 700rwhp...........know when to hammer it and when to let off............among other things.
I'm sure if you told them you were interested but needed to talk with the owner and needed the name of the engine builder they would probably arrange that for you. If not............tell them thanks but no thanks.
If the car is just driven during good weather and is not your DD.............and you are somewhat competent that you could drive the car and not kill yourself or someone else................who am I to say no. I've always said you can never have enough HP and that is true............you just need to make sure you can handle it.
One last thing and I don't want to harp..............for all intense and purpose this is a race car that I assume can be driven on the street and race cars take a lot of maintenance as I mentioned before..........if you aren't willing or can't maintain it then don't get it. It will certainly be a monster on the street and driving a monster on public roads will test every skill you have...........the minute you forget that you will hurt yourself or worse.........someone else.....IMHO
Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What Scotty and I have told you is pretty much the way it is.

Personally I love push rod motors, especially SBF's. Assuming the motor is not 90% used up it sounds like a killer motor and has all of the right components to make it live at that HP level.

When I first started drag racing I went from a car making 2 times more HP than I had ever driven before..........I learned a lot and had a lot of help. I can tell you from a drag race side that the car.....if it can hook........is a solid low 9 second car in the 1/4 and can also tell you with that much HP you need a lot of seat time to get the feel for 700rwhp...........know when to hammer it and when to let off............among other things.

I'm sure if you told them you were interested but needed to talk with the owner and needed the name of the engine builder they would probably arrange that for you. If not............tell them thanks but no thanks.

If the car is just driven during good weather and is not your DD.............and you are somewhat competent that you could drive the car and not kill yourself or someone else................who am I to say no. I've always said you can never have enough HP and that is true............you just need to make sure you can handle it.

One last thing and I don't want to harp..............for all intense and purpose this is a race car that I assume can be driven on the street and race cars take a lot of maintenance as I mentioned before..........if you aren't willing or can't maintain it then don't get it. It will certainly be a monster on the street and driving a monster on public roads will test every skill you have...........the minute you forget that you will hurt yourself or worse.........someone else.....IMHO

My uncle does own a high hp shop down the street from me and i worked with him for awhile and i drove it 650hp z06 and after time i did get better and driving it without freaking out. I will get ahold of him and show you guys what he sais.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What is a "high hp shop" ๐Ÿ˜‚

๐Ÿผand ๐ŸŒฝ fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #97
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
My uncle does own a high hp shop down the street from me and i worked with him for awhile and i drove it 650hp z06 and after time i did get better and driving it without freaking out. I will get ahold of him and show you guys what he sais.

Just remember that driving a newer Z06 and driving the Mustang are two totally different animals. The Z06 is very predictable and fairly easy to drive hard, the Mustang is most likely just plain raw with a capital R. Shorter wheel base and although they probably weigh about the same the Corvette has independent suspension front and rear and is about 50/50 weight distribution where the Mustang is solid rear axle and a lot of the weight is up front, not in the rear. It just really depends on how the chassis on the mustang is setup and my guess it's more road racer than drag racer...........still it would take a more experienced driver to handle the Mustang than the Corvette....IMHO
Old 12-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah forsure. The new z06 was predictable. Ill see what the giy has to say about it before i make up my mind. Sorry for completely changing the subject and talking about a foxbody in a 96-04 forum

Old 12-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
What is a "high hp shop" ๐Ÿ˜‚

๐Ÿผand ๐ŸŒฝ fed coyote.
It is the exact opposite of the shop that you work at.

Bahahahaha
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Well they only deal with cars and boats that have alot of hp, like they do alot of drag cars and some of the rear engine drag cars

Old 12-12-2015, 10:38 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

My kid calls ot the "big hp car garage" so its stuck with the family haha

Old 12-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #102
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Is it Hennessey Performance in Langley..........
Old 12-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Speed shops have been called lots of different names over the years. Haha

That Fox looks really nice, but probably wouldn't be a very good daily driver. It would be a wicked fun weekend car though!
It will definitely require more maintenance than your average street driven Mustang. So that is something to figure into your "cost of ownership" budget.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is it Hennessey Performance in Langley..........

I didnt know they had one in langley, where is it?

Old 12-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Speed shops have been called lots of different names over the years. Haha

That Fox looks really nice, but probably wouldn't be a very good daily driver. It would be a wicked fun weekend car though!

It will definitely require more maintenance than your average street driven Mustang. So that is something to figure into your "cost of ownership" budget.

Well i think its only going to be a weekend and summer car. I am going to contact the dealership and talk to them and get everything from them and talk to the shop that built it. My dream is to have a clean built foxbody and i think i may have found it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT