Time for intake manifold?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Time for intake manifold??

So pulling out of my road going to work this morning I got on the car a little bit and next thing I see is smoke coming from the hood.. It was raining so I couldn't tell how bad it was, I drove it on in to work which is only like three minutes away from where I was when it happened.. I popped the hood and a hose had popped off the back of the intake I guess it's the heater hose? I think I lost a fair amount of coolant.. Anyways my question is, is there anyway of getting my car back home from work and the other question is can I just replace this piece or do I need a new intake??

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
torchdNblazen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
That's a plastic piece molded into the intake. You need a new one. Get the FRPP unit from AM or LRS and get Fel Pro gaskets from Rockauto.

If there is enough of the plastic pipe left to get the hose back onto with a worm clamp you can probably limp it home but definitely not something you should be driving around like that.

This is a common occurrence btw especially now that the newest of these cars is 11 or 12 years old. The good news is the FRPP intake is not super expensive, easy as hell to replace it and it'll last another decade no problem.

The warping under the tstat is also a common occurrence. These 2 things are why I always tell ppl doing replacments or PI swaps to never buy these things used.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks so much man.. I may try to see if that hose will go back over it because there was a couple inches left of the pipe.. I'll defiantly get a new one now, I'd just like to get it home without towing it, I left it at work today because I didn't wanna chance it without knowing anything.. I'll have to get some coolant and put back in it as I'm sure it's all gone.. I only live about seven minutes away from work I could take the highway or back road... If I can get it home I won't drive it until I replace the intake.. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah if there is a few inches of plastic left you should be able to clamp it and go easy on it all the way home.

Just get the parts setup like I said. Do a new tstat while you are at it and doing the plugs and COP rebuild is a good idea if you are getting close to being due since they have to come out anyway.

Also you'll need a decent socket set with extensions and a torque wrench to do the intake. I used a basic Harbor Freight set and a $20 HF torque wrench and everything went real smooth.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I've really really thought about doing this one myself as I just payed a mechanic to fix a blown out spark plug like a month and half ago!! I'm not the best mechanic and don't have to much experience with stuff like this ,but I'm never gonna learn anything if I keep payin someone to do it all the time.. With the help of you guys and maybe have a buddy help me hopefully I can pull it off, cause it bein the holidays I'm already gettin low on cash

Old 12-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just hand tools going slow and its not hard. There are write ups on how to do it, there is probably a youtube video.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I know this sounds crazy but could I just plug off that hole and not even run that heater line, just to make it home ?? I mean I just wouldn't have heat and that'd be it right??

Old 12-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

No, you can't just plug the line because then you block your system. You don't get heat if you bypass the heater core but you still need to have the hose going from the nipple to the other line coming from under the intake.

You will have to either get a clamp on it tight as **** and hope it holds or get a flatbed or a trailer. Do not use a dolly unless you disconnect the driveshaft.

You could also just show up in the parking lot on a weekend and do the intake change there. You don't need power or anything crazy. Just a few hours and a flat surface.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Okay gotcha.. Someone said I could just plug my intake off just to make it home an the only thing that would happen is I wouldn't have heAt in the car

Old 12-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchdNblazen03 View Post
Okay gotcha.. Someone said I could just plug my intake off just to make it home an the only thing that would happen is I wouldn't have heAt in the car

That person is not the smartest tool in the shed and I would make it a point to avoid them for any further automotive advice. I'd go back and ask him if you plug the intake how the coolant is going to circulate through the system.

Unless he is confused and thinks your heater core busted... but then you still can't just plug it, you have to run a bypass hose.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just wanted to give an update and thank you Scotty for all the help and advice you gave.. I had to replace my intake like you said and I went ahead and put new plugs in while it was out.. Thanks again

Old 01-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Good to hear all is well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT