Differential cover. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Differential cover.

I have to change fluid in my rear end in the spring. Upgraded to 4.10 Ford Racing gears last fall and they have just over 800 miles on them. Decided it would be a good time to upgrade the rear cover.

DR3Z4033B GT500 cover off eBay for $70.95. Should look better and add a little extra cooling.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just make sure you get the additive.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have that same diff cover. It's very nice. Make sure you get some gasket maker and don't use the paper/rubber one. I have inspected mine and felt it for temperature every time I put it on the lift. It takes a lot of heat and dissipates it really well.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
I have that same diff cover. It's very nice. Make sure you get some gasket maker and don't use the paper/rubber one. I have inspected mine and felt it for temperature every time I put it on the lift. It takes a lot of heat and dissipates it really well.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
I'm looking forward to the install in the spring time. My car is currently parked in my pole building waiting for Spring. Our winter showed up really late, and I bought some snowmobiles to help pass the time, but not enough snow to really enjoy them yet. I'm already looking forward to Spring!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Should be a 30-45 min install , super easy on those rear ends.
Be thankful you don't have a irs

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
I have to change fluid in my rear end in the spring. Upgraded to 4.10 Ford Racing gears last fall and they have just over 800 miles on them. Decided it would be a good time to upgrade the rear cover.

DR3Z4033B GT500 cover off eBay for $70.95. Should look better and add a little extra cooling.

And easier to change out the fluid in the future. I need to do this too. 🏼

IG: @rcodemach1
Old 12-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would still recommend removing the cover when changing the oil. That way you can clean out all of the clutch material, from the Trac-loc differential, that collects in the bottom of the housing.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Now another question for you guys. When American Muscle sent me my gear install kit they included two quarts of royal purple 75w90 gear oil. But I've seen some places saying there should be 75w140 gear oil in there. I know I have to the XL3 additive (yes I know royal purple already has some additive but adding more can't hurt).

Old 12-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Do you tow with your mustang? Or race it religiously? You're fine with the oil they supplied. I used 2 bottles of friction modifier. Half a bottle on the carbon clutches to soak for good while and 1 1/2 in the diff.

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Do you tow with your mustang? Or race it religiously? You're fine with the oil they supplied. I used 2 bottles of friction modifier. Half a bottle on the carbon clutches to soak for good while and 1 1/2 in the diff.

It has the Royal purple 75w90 in it now. I'll just swap it out for fresh stuff and add the modifier also.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Amsoil Severe Gear differential fluid with FRPP Friction Modifier.
Our Mustang shops here (three I contacted) use Amsoil exclusively. Coincidence or superior product.?.
Was also told to stay away from Royal Purple and Ring & Pinion sets other than Ford Racing.
Also was told that slightest, or any at all, whine noise is unacceptable.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
Our Mustang shops here (three I contacted) use Amsoil exclusively. Coincidence or superior product.?.
Was also told to stay away from Royal Purple and Ring & Pinion sets other than Ford Racing.
I was told the same thing when i got my rearend done. A ring and pinion shop that is not exclusive to Ford or Mustangs but is performance oriented, and been doing rearends for 45 years said this. I bought the whole kit and they would not use the RP at all. They used the friction modifier of course. I forgot the brand they used, ill look at my invoice and see. They also stated to ONLY use FRPP gear sets as they have never had any issues with them but occasionly have issues with other brands in the past. Anyway thought i would add that i got the same info when mine were done. They also said no break in period and just stick to normal changing intervals, no need to do it sooner than what it needs or a certain shorter amount of time after install. But if you are changing your cover you may as well change it obviously, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
And they stated that there should be absolutely no whine or noise when changing to 410 gears, especially when using FRPP.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ill ship you my RP for free, lol, still sitting unopened in my garage.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

My work carries either royal purple or Lucas full synthetic 75w90 gear oil. But if that Amsoil is the cats meow I may give that a shot.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Im sure the RP is fine, but there must be some reason shops are not wanting to use is for some specific applications. Ive honestly never heard anyone having issues with any of their products. This is what i was told too, just thought it was funny my shop said the same things

Old 12-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I have RP in mine at the moment. Didn't have time to order any Amsoil. Brand new diff with carbon clutches. 1 btl of Ford friction modifier. No issues with noise

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Just so you guys know, FRPP has been contracted out to Motive for their gears for awhile now. Apparently the quality is still good but just something to be aware of.

I'm also not a Royal Purple fan in general for anything. Seems to me like one of those companies that relies more on marketing and gimmicky packaging to stand out than actually making a superior product. Some of their fluids actually have even been blamed for component failures as well, the 3650 transmissions are the best example of this. TBTH, if you are going to pay the prices RP wants for their stuff just get Amsoil which IS a superior product. Or just save $$$ and get Mobil 1 fluids and call it a day. M1 is overkill for a street car anyway.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Royal purple is crap! I use amsoil never had a problem in anything I've used it in! Rp on the other hand I have had issues with! Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Just so you guys know, FRPP has been contracted out to Motive for their gears for awhile now. Apparently the quality is still good but just something to be aware of.

I'm also not a Royal Purple fan in general for anything. Seems to me like one of those companies that relies more on marketing and gimmicky packaging to stand out than actually making a superior product. Some of their fluids actually have even been blamed for component failures as well, the 3650 transmissions are the best example of this. TBTH, if you are going to pay the prices RP wants for their stuff just get Amsoil which IS a superior product. Or just save $$$ and get Mobil 1 fluids and call it a day. M1 is overkill for a street car anyway.
I do remember reading somewhere that Motive makes the FRPP gears now that you mention that. Either way i havent heard of too many issues with people using the FRPP gear sets unless they have install issues that caused them

Old 12-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It came. It's a really good looking cover and the fins are much bigger than I was expecting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT