Differential cover. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582
Differential cover.

I have to change fluid in my rear end in the spring. Upgraded to 4.10 Ford Racing gears last fall and they have just over 800 miles on them. Decided it would be a good time to upgrade the rear cover.



DR3Z4033B GT500 cover off eBay for $70.95. Should look better and add a little extra cooling.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
infamous281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 779
Just make sure you get the additive.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slater2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
I have that same diff cover. It's very nice. Make sure you get some gasket maker and don't use the paper/rubber one. I have inspected mine and felt it for temperature every time I put it on the lift. It takes a lot of heat and dissipates it really well.


2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
I have that same diff cover. It's very nice. Make sure you get some gasket maker and don't use the paper/rubber one. I have inspected mine and felt it for temperature every time I put it on the lift. It takes a lot of heat and dissipates it really well.


2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
I'm looking forward to the install in the spring time. My car is currently parked in my pole building waiting for Spring. Our winter showed up really late, and I bought some snowmobiles to help pass the time, but not enough snow to really enjoy them yet. I'm already looking forward to Spring!
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
infamous281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 779
Should be a 30-45 min install , super easy on those rear ends.
Be thankful you don't have a irs

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
I have to change fluid in my rear end in the spring. Upgraded to 4.10 Ford Racing gears last fall and they have just over 800 miles on them. Decided it would be a good time to upgrade the rear cover.


DR3Z4033B GT500 cover off eBay for $70.95. Should look better and add a little extra cooling.

And easier to change out the fluid in the future. I need to do this too. 🏼


IG: @rcodemach1
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,401
I would still recommend removing the cover when changing the oil. That way you can clean out all of the clutch material, from the Trac-loc differential, that collects in the bottom of the housing.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582
Now another question for you guys. When American Muscle sent me my gear install kit they included two quarts of royal purple 75w90 gear oil. But I've seen some places saying there should be 75w140 gear oil in there. I know I have to the XL3 additive (yes I know royal purple already has some additive but adding more can't hurt).

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slater2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Do you tow with your mustang? Or race it religiously? You're fine with the oil they supplied. I used 2 bottles of friction modifier. Half a bottle on the carbon clutches to soak for good while and 1 1/2 in the diff.


2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
Do you tow with your mustang? Or race it religiously? You're fine with the oil they supplied. I used 2 bottles of friction modifier. Half a bottle on the carbon clutches to soak for good while and 1 1/2 in the diff.


2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
It has the Royal purple 75w90 in it now. I'll just swap it out for fresh stuff and add the modifier also.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
robb15033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 2,109
Amsoil Severe Gear differential fluid with FRPP Friction Modifier.
Our Mustang shops here (three I contacted) use Amsoil exclusively. Coincidence or superior product.?.
Was also told to stay away from Royal Purple and Ring & Pinion sets other than Ford Racing.
Also was told that slightest, or any at all, whine noise is unacceptable.
__________________
'97 3.8L V6
Pacific Green
1996 SVT Cobra White
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
Amsoil Severe Gear differential fluid with FRPP Friction Modifier.
Our Mustang shops here (three I contacted) use Amsoil exclusively. Coincidence or superior product.?.
Was also told to stay away from Royal Purple and Ring & Pinion sets other than Ford Racing.
Also was told that slightest, or any at all, whine noise is unacceptable.
I was told the same thing when i got my rearend done. A ring and pinion shop that is not exclusive to Ford or Mustangs but is performance oriented, and been doing rearends for 45 years said this. I bought the whole kit and they would not use the RP at all. They used the friction modifier of course. I forgot the brand they used, ill look at my invoice and see. They also stated to ONLY use FRPP gear sets as they have never had any issues with them but occasionly have issues with other brands in the past. Anyway thought i would add that i got the same info when mine were done. They also said no break in period and just stick to normal changing intervals, no need to do it sooner than what it needs or a certain shorter amount of time after install. But if you are changing your cover you may as well change it obviously, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
Amsoil Severe Gear differential fluid with FRPP Friction Modifier.
Our Mustang shops here (three I contacted) use Amsoil exclusively. Coincidence or superior product.?.
Was also told to stay away from Royal Purple and Ring & Pinion sets other than Ford Racing.
Also was told that slightest, or any at all, whine noise is unacceptable.
And they stated that there should be absolutely no whine or noise when changing to 410 gears, especially when using FRPP.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Ill ship you my RP for free, lol, still sitting unopened in my garage.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582
My work carries either royal purple or Lucas full synthetic 75w90 gear oil. But if that Amsoil is the cats meow I may give that a shot.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Im sure the RP is fine, but there must be some reason shops are not wanting to use is for some specific applications. Ive honestly never heard anyone having issues with any of their products. This is what i was told too, just thought it was funny my shop said the same things

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I have RP in mine at the moment. Didn't have time to order any Amsoil. Brand new diff with carbon clutches. 1 btl of Ford friction modifier. No issues with noise

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,576
Just so you guys know, FRPP has been contracted out to Motive for their gears for awhile now. Apparently the quality is still good but just something to be aware of.


I'm also not a Royal Purple fan in general for anything. Seems to me like one of those companies that relies more on marketing and gimmicky packaging to stand out than actually making a superior product. Some of their fluids actually have even been blamed for component failures as well, the 3650 transmissions are the best example of this. TBTH, if you are going to pay the prices RP wants for their stuff just get Amsoil which IS a superior product. Or just save $$$ and get Mobil 1 fluids and call it a day. M1 is overkill for a street car anyway.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
bwright1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 283
Royal purple is crap! I use amsoil never had a problem in anything I've used it in! Rp on the other hand I have had issues with! Just my two cents


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
bwright1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Steve96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Waterford
Region: Michigan
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Just so you guys know, FRPP has been contracted out to Motive for their gears for awhile now. Apparently the quality is still good but just something to be aware of.


I'm also not a Royal Purple fan in general for anything. Seems to me like one of those companies that relies more on marketing and gimmicky packaging to stand out than actually making a superior product. Some of their fluids actually have even been blamed for component failures as well, the 3650 transmissions are the best example of this. TBTH, if you are going to pay the prices RP wants for their stuff just get Amsoil which IS a superior product. Or just save $$$ and get Mobil 1 fluids and call it a day. M1 is overkill for a street car anyway.
I do remember reading somewhere that Motive makes the FRPP gears now that you mention that. Either way i havent heard of too many issues with people using the FRPP gear sets unless they have install issues that caused them

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
1996 GT
2003 GT
Follow on Instagram @manicmustangs
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
phatspeed7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pengilly
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 582


It came. It's a really good looking cover and the fins are much bigger than I was expecting.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
__________________
~2004 GT with Bolt ons~
phatspeed7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:12 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.