Buying gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Buying gears

Should I buy the gears or the whole 4:10 kit off on AM?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Talk to soccerluvr4, he has the kit on his car.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Buy the whole Ford Racing kit from AM. I did this as well after the recommendation of the very reputable ring and pinion shop i took mine to for install.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 05:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like I'll go with the kit

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
04sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Buy the whole kit, you need all those parts anyway.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just buy the ring and pinion , you don't necessarily need the other parts.
Perhaps just a crush sleeve , and some shims if needed.
Just tell the shop to let you know if you need anything else.

Unless your going for a high dollar build , and going 31 spline.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I figured it was better to have the whole kit for install in the case that you do need to replace other parts, that way you have no down time or pay ridiculous prices through the shop for the same parts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

To be blunt, if you can do your own oil or brake changes, buy the tools to do a gear swap and learn it yourself. There is a wealth of info online on how to do it including youtube videos and step by step instructions. It'll be cheaper than paying a shop and you will learn a really good skill as far as working on these vehicles. Hell if you are comfortable doing it you could probably make some $$$ on the side undercutting the ridiculous shop prices.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Buying gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
To be blunt, if you can do your own oil or brake changes, buy the tools to do a gear swap and learn it yourself. There is a wealth of info online on how to do it including youtube videos and step by step instructions. It'll be cheaper than paying a shop and you will learn a really good skill as far as working on these vehicles. Hell if you are comfortable doing it you could probably make some $$$ on the side undercutting the ridiculous shop prices.

Maybe have someone with you that knows how, that's what JDF did. Easy to make a small mistake, even with the info online.

Oh and get the whole kit

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I'm a true believer of the "want it done right?, then do it yourself" theory. But I'm freakishly afraid of touching my gears myself lol. And because I fear ANYONE touching my car except me, I'm staying stock lol. Have u changed gearsets before scotty? I know it's not rocket science, but something about opening up the rear end spooks me. And I have gear pullers lol

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
To be honest I was a little freaked out about doing my gears. I had my buddy help me through it. And I remember thinking to myself, " that's it?" It's honestly not that hard. Everything kinda goes together one way. And when you measure all the measurements, ford tells you exactly where to do them.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

I have done a few gearsets with other ppl before and paid for a few. I will never pay again. I'm also an aircraft mechanic and I work on way more complicated **** than a set of differential gears tho.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
To be honest I was a little freaked out about doing my gears. I had my buddy help me through it. And I remember thinking to myself, " that's it?" It's honestly not that hard. Everything kinda goes together one way. And when you measure all the measurements, ford tells you exactly where to do them.

2003 GT: JLT CAI, summit 75mm TB, C&L plenum, 24# injectors, Mac Prochamber, SLP LM1 cat back, 3.73 Gears, FR500 Diff, FR500 diff cover, Jmod trans and shift kit, Max Motorsports subframes, Koni oranges front and rear, DBA discs front and rear, shrader performance rear seat delete, APSX D2 wideband, MPT happy customer.
This.

I'm probably coming off in this thread as a bit of a jerk but its very hard for me when my actual job is to change out really complicated parts (sometimes) and very often its a job I have not encountered before or only have done once or twice. We have very detailed technical orders and if you follow every step and aren't an idiot the job is done fine.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
I think part of the reason why people shy away from it is the amount of tools you need in order to a job like that one time. An oil change or brake change don't really require anything fancy and there isn't exactly any specs you need to follow in order to do them (other than drain plug torque). I know with my gear swap I was feeling timid due to it being an IRS and having to pull the center section in order to do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Maybe have someone with you that knows how, that's what JDF did. Easy to make a small mistake, even with the info online.

Oh and get the whole kit

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I'm surprised anybody remembers this. Best $150 I've spent. +1 to the kit, do it once and then you don't have to worry about pulling it out later when you discover the a bearing is bad.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Don't do the gears by yourself if you don't have someone showing you or you don't have the right tools.

You need real tools to do work like that , and real knowledge. No offence.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Offense *

infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #16

Region: Massachusetts
I kind of agree to make sure you have someone with a know how help you or a professional do it. I'm lucky to have tools available at work that I can use and a ford certified friend who has been coaching me thru all the mods. (Change complete engine, rear end and clutch) And the next one is gears, I will do it myself but he will be there to watch over so I don't make any mistakes.
Lone Wonderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

I just think people should have a little more confidence in themselves and not be scared to tackle something new. I basically taught myself how to do everything on these cars over time working on them. I had never done a trans swap before I did one a long time ago on my old Fox and that went fine, same with a motor pull/swap, the first time I did a PI intake swap on a modular it was just going from online directions, same with exhaust work, control arms, other suspension etc...

Hell, I did an entire interior gut and swap from grey to black and a full re-upholster myself with zero prior experience. Just following directions to the letter and going slow and triple checking myself the first time through. Yes this might not be typical and yes I am a mechanic as my primary job (aircraft) but I'm nothing special and its not exactly rocket science. I stand by my statement that if you can do basic maintenance and have a good set of tools you can do most stuff yourself as long as you are willing to learn and don't mind buying a few specific tools along the way that you might not ever use again. Doing this with gears is still DRASTICALLY cheaper than paying a shop to do them and then you have the tools for anytime in the future you get a new car or a flip or a fixer etc...

Old 01-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I was able to do my own rear gears w/ out help or over sought by anyone, and they came out fine. I had to have a shop press in diff pinion bearing cus I had no press, but other than that all other tools are moderately priced.
It all depends on the competency of the individual, doing plenty of research, Chilton's is recommended, take plenty of pictures and label parts accordingly.
It really isn't difficult to do and the effect of the gearset change is amazing compared to stock. Don't be intimidated by job itself. Keep looking into this get, help if available and tackle it.

Sent from my XT1526 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
RoCoBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCoBass View Post
I was able to do my own rear gears w/ out help or over sought by anyone, and they came out fine. I had to have a shop press in diff pinion bearing cus I had no press, but other than that all other tools are moderately priced.
It all depends on the competency of the individual, doing plenty of research, Chilton's is recommended, take plenty of pictures and label parts accordingly.
It really isn't difficult to do and the effect of the gearset change is amazing compared to stock. Don't be intimidated by job itself. Keep looking into this get, help if available and tackle it.

Sent from my XT1526 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
This. And a shop press is just a good tool to have lying around and some of the other stuff like the gauge is good to have around for the random time you might need it in the future. Like if you ever got an older pushrod you need it to ensure your camshaft is properly degreed on the install and that is just one example.

Anyway, we are beating a dead horse I think. Most ppl will still be intimidated by gear swaps and pay to do them. And clutch changes, and whatever else. Which is fine to pay for it if you have the coin... but too many **** shops out there.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I got the whole install kit with 4.10 gears from American muscle. Also rebuilt my limited slip while I had the rear end apart. Best $350 I've spent on the car. Had a buddy help me with the install. Really woke up the 2V in my GT.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT