Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Project: 03 Silver GT

30K views 619 replies 27 participants last post by  Steve96 
#1 ·
May look at this tomorrow. 76k miles, new tires, shocks, struts, new COPs and plugs, CAI (who cares) and tinted windows. Picture's all look real clean, no winters or rust. Mostly stock which is great. Great price at least around me especially if I can get it closer to $5k. It is an auto though, but J mod, tune, higher stall, nice wheels/tires, lower control arms, subframes, lower it, and it would run really well. Getting ahead of myself. Guy wants rid of it, bought it for his son, not sure what happened there but I dont care if it checks out. Let me know what you think??

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#2 ·
Everything else equivalent around me is from 7-10k or more. And if their around 5k they have 140k miles or more. Interior is really clean too from pics.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Finally worked....sorry

#7 ·
That looks pretty clean. If you've got a little extra cash available after purchasing it, I think that could easily turn out to be a great car. Give it a good, thorough detailing and it would be sharp. What's up with that service engine light though?

#8 ·
Looks pretty clean. I'm not sure why he put 99-00 headlights in though. I'd be a little leary of it sitting for the last 4 years, I'd check and see what his storage methods were. Overall it looks to be well kept, the drivers seat is a great testament to that.

#14 ·
Yeah it should be the smoked headlights which i would want at some point. He said their new tho at least. The seat is in great shape, not the normal wear on it. I would be taking it to a friends garage for a quick inspection as long as he doesnt mind that. If i think i want it ill give him a deposit then set that up next week. He seems pretty meticulous after talking to him a little. Said he always stored inside after the end of october each year he has owned it. I know sitting isnt good either if you dont maintenance it correctly.

#9 ·
Looks like he just has the key turned on and its not started. I think it illuminates when you do that, ill have to check it out if its on while its running. It does have magnaflow exhaust, Im not sure if it has a different mid pipe but it may, he hasnt answered my last email yet where i asked about that specificallty.

#12 ·
Ive always wanted a new edge since they came out and check my local listings weekly. This one stood out as a great deal with the mileage compared to others ive been seeing for a while.

What I would do if i got it in the short term: mach 1 chin, mach 1 grill delete, lowering springs, cc plates if needed for alignment depending on how low I went and it has new shocks/struts currently, maybe delete the rear spoiler depending on how paint look under it, staggered wheel and tire set up, an off road mid pipe if it doesnt have one, and a tune. That would probably be it for the first spring/summer. The next year I would do a 410 rearend, throttle body and plenum, j mod trans, 24lb injectors, maybe a higher stall, taking a lot of stuff from Cliffys basic mod thread as he is 100% right on with what he lists. After that maybe long tubes but probably not, their not worth the cost. With all that in a couple years it would run good. I forgot to add subframes and LCAs to year 2 as well. Could probably pull some decent 1/4 times with all that from what i have seen and researched previously.

#13 ·
Sounds like you've already got one hell of a plan for this thing! A nice 03-04 never fails to put a smile on my face, best of luck to you!

#15 ·

Yeah I like to dream anyway...things would probably take longer than that though. But i have it planned out in my head after years of researching and reading forums etc. Plus ill still have my 96 GT too that im sure i will want to continue to do things too, that one is already basically where i want it looks wise. But i still want to PI swap it and change to a "stage 2" cam set up someday, tune, plenum throttle body, injectors....wish i was rich lol as all of us do. I figure if i buy the Mustangs I like after their 10 years old or older that eventually ill get the ones i want, haha they will be cheap enough eventually. And when im retirement age ill have 10 or so in my stable. Have to start looking for some acreage for a pole barn in a few years. Im way ahead of myself i dont even know if im going to buy this one, and the guy hasnt even confirmed the time for tomorrow. I may chicken out at well as i have a hard time spending money and 5k is a good sum to me anyway. But if i do look at it and it checks out to what my standards would be i may just have to do it. Can always clean it up more, make it look a little better and make a little on it this spring. There is a 2004 mach 1 taunting me that im in love with 2 miles away that i see everyday but its out of my current price range at 11500 could get it for 10800 so says the shop owner and its a great deal for what it is but too rich for my blood right now. If i wait to try to get the mach 1 or sell my mustang and put 5k on top of it im sure it would be gone anyway. Ramblings anyone..
.sorry...its late and ive had too much caffeine and bowl games.

#16 ·
That looks really good. His son probably didn't want an auto or something or got too many tickets. Whatever. Take a good LONG look over that thing for peeling/rust especially where the sail panels meet the roof trim, water gets in there and bubbles up like crazy. That was an issue with mine that required a full sand down/seal and then there is vinyl on the roof now temporarily till I paint it.

The auto is definitely working in your favor with this since most enthusiasts will want the stick (don't get me started lol), if the build date on this 03 is real late you might get lucky and wind up with the 4R75w but even if you don't, a 4R70w trans will take more than the bottom end can.

I would say go with cash, if its as advertised and it runs properly pull out $4500 and show it to him and see if he bites. Go up to $5k and then your judgement how much more you want to go but if its as good as it looks its worth every bit of the $5700 asking price, at least IMO.

I'd also recommend after the test drive you sniff around the tstat and back by the heater core hoses and ANY smell of antifreeze means that the plastic on the intake somewhere is failing (under tstat or heater core hose nipple) and that would be something to negotiate with since parts/labor for the intake is not exactly cheap. Even tho a FRPP intake is cheap and replacing it takes 2 hours DIY.

I'll be very excited for you if you get it, the New Edge may be the best looking Mustang of all time and it doesn't take much to get it there.

Only other thing to really be wary on is since the plugs and COPs were just done, what COPs were used and who did the spark plugs, what plugs were used and hope whoever did them used a torque wrench because 4 thread plugs but that's a danger on ANY 2V even the 04+ 8 thread versions since too many people think they have calibrated elbows.

Let us know what happens, hopefully you get it this weekend if its nice!

#17 ·
Thanks for the advice Scotty. Im debating now what to do. It has a couple small cosmetic blemishes but nothing crazy, chip here and there. Under looks clean, its from Missouri this guy is the 2nd owner. I guess his son just didnt want to drive period, as in he has a phobia of it or something. It has Flowmaster 40s welded in. Interior is really clean. Has the normal seat belt non retracting issue. No drips, leaks or anything i could spot. No check engine lights etc. Fires right up. It does have Accel COPs that i would swap to OEM at some point, BBK CAI (prob go back to stock), new egr valve and some other small maint parts. All receipts, everything is documented neatly and organized. He said the lowest he will go is 5400. Which is a fair price for the amount of juck i have seen for more money than this. He is moving to GA and doesnt want to lug it with him. I have not driven it yet. If im serious I told him ill come with a deposit and take it for a long drive at least 25 min or so.

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

COPs and spark plugs were done at a local shop....

#18 ·
If the Accels are working I'd just leave them. If a shop did it you'd THINK they would know about the spark plug issues and it'd be good so hopefully it was done right. Going to be a concern with any 2V tho so not specific to this one car.

$5400 for that is a steal with only some cosmetic blems and runs like a top. Like... if you are serious about getting a New Edge I doubt you'll find a better deal unless you find something that needs work and you are willing to do it like I did.

#19 ·
Some more pics I took today. The frontend pic you can see one of the blems, its not horrible. The rest of them are a lot less noticeable than that one. Has some ice on it too you may see but its not a blem.

Attachments

#20 ·
Ran good. Only issue is the brakes, their really stiff. He thinks they need to be bled.

#21 ·
It felt tight, steering was good, drove straight, felt smooth. Everything works as it should including ac and heat on all settings. Radio sounds decent (mach). Interior is really nice and in good shape. Brakes have plenty of pad left (Raybestos) and rotors are corroded from sitting and were a little noisey. Shouldnt be a huge issue to get them right. Taking the night to think on it.

#22 ·
Couldnt get on it all the way but it felt good like it would go pretty good. He didnt want me to go on the main roads cause they are all salty and wet, hes very meticulous. No leaks drips or smells after the drive. It was up to temp and driven for a solid 25 min combined, intake looks fine, no signs of antifreeze etc. No drips where the car has sat in the driveway or the garage. He drove it about once a month 20 miles or so. Stored it with a coverx stabil and battery tender.

#23 ·
It does have a little corrosion where the panels meet the roof, looks like it can be cleaned up, touched up and sealed and put the panels back on and it should be good. It wont see any weather either if i own it. Doesnt seem to have any major flaws and its a great price compared to some junk ive seen for more recently.

#25 ·
That's what I thought too.... Seems like all the silver cars get this. Every single body shop I talked to said it would have to be sanded and blended and then the new silver would be damn near impossible to match to the rest of the car. I tried myself with a kit and failed miserably. The good news is to get the roof fixed and painted black its $300-$400 and a black roof looks damn good. Or just vinyl it like I'm doing temporarily.

#24 ·
No peeling anywhere yet, just a slight orange film under the panels on the roof in spots not the entire thing. Could rub it off with my finger

#26 ·
Yeah. If i get it ill clean it up, see how it looks. Then maybe lightly touch it up under the seam where you really can't see it, if it spreads or peels ill vinyl it. I like the black roof look too.

#27 ·
If painting it black is only around that price I would probably go that route too. Im thinking flat black.

#28 ·
When I pulled my roof trim off the corrosion was down under there a decent ways. I sanded it completely smooth and then hit it with a rust inhibitor and blended it with red putty. And then found out that silver is impossible to match out of a can and then the paint shops told me even if I had it "matched" silver it wouldn't look right.

#29 ·
Stupid silver paint. Im still debating on the car. Funny thing is if he would take 5k I would have already bought it. I may give it another day or 2 and tell him Ill do 5k cash and I can have it to him in about 20 min and see if he bites. I dont think it will go anywhere in the next couple days...but he does seem like a stickler.

#30 ·
He will sell it eventually, seems like a solid deal. But cash is king. If you set 5 grand cash on the hood and tell him he could be done with hassle of showing it to how many who knows more potential buyers, he may bite. Be persistent. If he isn't getting bites that 5 grand will look even better with each day that passes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.