Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Project: 03 Silver GT

30K views 619 replies 27 participants last post by  Steve96 
#1 ·
May look at this tomorrow. 76k miles, new tires, shocks, struts, new COPs and plugs, CAI (who cares) and tinted windows. Picture's all look real clean, no winters or rust. Mostly stock which is great. Great price at least around me especially if I can get it closer to $5k. It is an auto though, but J mod, tune, higher stall, nice wheels/tires, lower control arms, subframes, lower it, and it would run really well. Getting ahead of myself. Guy wants rid of it, bought it for his son, not sure what happened there but I dont care if it checks out. Let me know what you think??

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#110 ·
I did it with the BFG Comp 2s when they were relatively new. I think I paid $130 per tire up front and $170 per tire out back. And then $550 shipped for the rims. $80 for the mount/balance and $50 shipping from Tirerack. So like $1200-$1300 all said and done which is CHEAP for 18s with a legit set of rubber that isn't Sumis. But those Comp 2s are way more now.

Although for as much bashing as we do on the Sumis, apparently the HTRZ III or whatever they are called are not half bad. Still not going to hold a candle to a much cheaper 315 wide Mickey Street Comp in 17" tho.

#112 ·
The Sumis arent bad from the reviews I have read. The HTR Z would be fine for me Im sure. Im not going to be drag racing, or auto xing anytime soon with either of my cars. Maybe an occasional drag race day with some friends but thats waaaaay off in the future for now.

#113 · (Edited)
Well for the Comp 2s BFG is running a special right now on the 245/40/18s for $132 per tire so you can stick them up front with the 275/35/18s out back for $175 per tire. That's sub $650 shipped for tires. If you can get some rims for $550 shipped from AM and a mount/balance locally.... There is your $1200 set of 18s with good wheels and tires.

Or just get the AM combo with Sumis lol.

But performance wise... 17s. And this is me doing a complete 180 from even recently when I was an 18 bandwagoner. There is just literally no reason to have them minus looks.

#117 ·
Wow thats some good pricing. I will have to see how long the sale lasts, if it goes until the end of the month when I get my bonus check, then Ill scoop a set up. If not then Ill get a cheaper set and go 17s and get the wheels and tires then instead.

Thanks for the info Scotty, I really appreciate it!!

#116 ·
I think I will go the SR route with no isos and wrap them in heavy duty elec tape or Ive seen a thin bike tire intertube used too before to keep it thinner but add some anti squeak. Like Sonicpony said with his Mach he didnt need CC plates to get fairly close or back into spec with alignment. If I do then I do and Ill be out 50 bucks for abother alignment after I put the CC plates on. I will see how these new springs/shocks hold up and go from there, maybe upgrade them if need be next season. But if its somewhat of a "stock" feel with a little inprovement from the springs Ill be happy since I wont be hitting any road courses. Just back and forth to work about 3 days a week in the summer.

#120 ·
Every car is different with how it reacts to an alignment. My car didn't need the plates to get back to stock specs, but your car might just fall short. You don't know till you go in for the alignment. Like you said, if it falls in, you're good to go, if not you're out whatever the first alignment cost is.

#118 ·
I meant the end of March when I said month, now thinking about that statement I realize its the end of Feb now, haha

#119 ·
Got my grill delete today, was a little late, was supposed to be here Thurs last week but came today. If it had been here on time it was an abnormal 60 out on Sunday and would have been perfect to put it on. Getting a snow storm starting right now and colder temps so it wont happen soon.

#122 ·
Guy on Craigslist has Eibach Sportlines for $200, but he will take $175 he says. Their brand new in the box so not used at all. Its about $65-70 cheaper than ordering them, but I wasnt really considering the Eibachs, maybe I should and offer him $150. I dont think their gonna sell real quick.

#123 ·
I would for sure. Just make sure they are the exact ones you want.

#124 ·
Yeah I will match up the model numbers, there in the box so shouldnt be too hard. I will give it a few days then low ball him, lol

#125 · (Edited)
Well, kind of got my bonus funds figured out now somewhat. Talked to my wife and she made a deal with me (for me), selfish reasons it turns out but it benefits me nonetheless. I think I will have close to $2k of my bonus money I can set aside for mods, and still make the savings accounts happy. I want to get wheels/tires (leaning towards the FR500s in Anthracite or MMDs in charcoal more $$$ tho), lowering springs (possibly SR, H&R, or some Eibachs I found on CL locally new in box Sportlines), CC plates if I go H&R SS or Eibach Sportlines, off road mid H pipe (still hoping to find a slightly used one, if not Ive been researching the Pypes H pipe-seems to have good reviews), chin spoiler, already have the grill delete, and maybe a new headunit for the stereo. The chin is I think an absolute must but the headunit may be the odd mod out budget wise. Anyway, if I get creative and find some deals I think I can do it for the $2k, especially if I go with the SR springs and dont have to get CC plates right away if they can get close to spec that is. From forum members (sonicpony03) I think I may have a shot at the alignment without CC plates if I go SR and leave out the isolators, it will probably be low enough to look good with the staggered wheels. Plus I plan on driving this one more than my other in season so I may want to be more around the 1.5"-1.6" lowered amount vs the almost 2" from the other 2 mentioned.

Sorry I get stuck on one subject too long, to indecisive at times with this stuff. Want to spend wisely, lol.

#126 ·
Just ordered these frivolously tonight! Could not pass up the price and sleep on this one! Got the 18x9, 18x10 set for $281 shipped with the forum discount. Cant believe they were this cheap. I know AM has done this before but I always missed it by like 6 mths. Wanted charcoal for the silver 03 but silver will do the trick for me. If I dont like them on the silver, Ill put them on my laser red 96 and see how they look! Thanks soccer and scotty for posting about this sale, I wouldnt have known otherwise. Saved me over $500!!

Attachments

#128 ·
Those should look pretty good. I've been eyeing that sale myself but haven't decided for sure if I want to buy anpther set of wheels. I may try to pick up a set of saleens

#129 ·
Its a great sale. I was leaning towards the anthracite FRs but liked the MMDs but they were too expensive for my budget.

#131 ·
I like those for drag wheels will look TUFF on your Bullit.

#132 ·
I was looking at Tirerack and they have good prices on the Sumi HTR II and III. These will be fine for me as far as what I will be doing with the car and budget friendly. Possibly have new 18" wheels with new tires for a little over 800 or less if I go with the HTR IIs.

I was wondering if I could go with the 275 40 18s on all 4 wheels, I know they will fit on the fronts fine, but the backs sre 10"? I have 275 40 17s on my 17x10 Bullit wheels on my 96 and they fit fine for me, a little stretchded but look good. If I could use all the same size at a 275 40 18, that would be cool, give me a little taller sidewall at 26.7" tall vs 25.9 on the 285 35 18 tires, and still not look like a balloon with too much side wall. If so I can get 4 HTR IIs in the 275 40 18 size for $439 on Tirerack. If I go with the 275 35 18, and 285 35 18 its not that much more either I guess.

#133 ·
I just realized we had the same conversation span 3 threads. I'm currently running 475/40R18s up front and 285/40R18s in rear on mine without an issue other than scrubbing the fender liner on full lock. Sumitomos tend to run narrow so I think a 275 will look a little stretched on the 10" wheels, but it shouldn't be too bad. You'll need a tuner to correct your speedometer though.

#134 ·
I ran 275 40 18 on the rear just fine. No way in hell they would clear up front at 26.7" tall tho. Not on a lowered car anyway.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#137 ·
I remember you saying that, thats why I was thinking of them. I liked the height you used on your tire set up.

#136 ·
My 2 rear 18x10 wheels came today, and just like my luck they are the wrong color! Their flat black, which I like too, but I want to stick with the silver. I know AM will take care of it as they always do but I think silver is out of stock now. Maybe they will ship me the gun metal ones for my troubles lol, thats the ones I wanted over the silver but they were sold out and more money.

#138 ·
So if I go with a 275 35 18 up front and a 285 35 18 out back, my total wheel and tire set up will be $882 before install. So roughly $940 mounted, balanced, and installed. Not bad at all.

#139 ·
I think ive decided on my tire set up possibly, finanly. Gonna get a 265 40 18 up front for the 18x9s, and get 275 40 18s for the rear. Ill go with something that runs a little wider like the BFGs Sport Comp 2s in the rear on the 10s, they are 10.7" tread width according to Tirerack, but I know Ive seen it where they measure closer to 11" wide. Those will be wide enough for the rears for me. I may even do a little more research and see if there are other options too. Im gonna research the Sumis in a 275 40 18 as well, some say they will fit fine and others say they wont be wide enough. On my 96 I have 275 40 17s on my 17x10 rears and they fit fine, their made by Nexen which are actually decent tires and have served me well for 4 yrs. They are ever so slightly stretched, not to where the sidewall is not straight or angled or anything. Actually I like the way they look being just a touch stretched, if it looks about like this with the Sumis on the new wheels I would be happy and their about $110 per tire. The 265 40 18s are 26.3" tall so they should be fine when lowered, the 275 40 18s will be 26.7" tall and will work well. The rears will be just slightly taller than the front by less than 1/2", and the sidewall size is pretty close too, a little thicker sidewall in the rear, but thats where I would want it anyway.

#140 ·
Sumis 275s will not be wide enough on a 10" rim.

Here is a pic of my 98 with those exact BFG Comp 2s on a 18x10 rim.

As you can see, the fit is perfect. They are damn near as wide as the Nitto 315s they replaced. I'd say they are more like a 295 or even a 305 for "normal" sizing.

#141 ·
Oh, and here is a side profile shot of the car with the 26.7" out back and 26.3" up front.

Looks good, no ABS issues, fills up the wheel wells nicely.

Damn I really miss that car sometimes...

#142 · (Edited)
Also Steve... a 265/40/18 might be a little big on a 9" rim, at least the BFG would. If you put a Sumi or Nitto up front and then the BFG out back it'd look a lot better. That is if you don't mind mixing brands. Those of us who are OCD... lol.

Looking at the Sumi HTRZ3 tires... they might even be a little bulgy on a 9" rim. Although at $125 per tire at tirerack for 265/40/18 and fitting perfect on a 9.5" wide rim...

#143 ·
Yeah that car was really nice and I assume it still is as you said an enthusiast bought it, which is awesome to know its in good hands.

The BFGs look good on the rear, I was thinking of using the Sumi HTR IIIs on the fronts like you mentioned, on the 9" wide wheel. Im ok with mixing if the tread appears to be similar or doesnt look totally different and the HTRs look a little tread wise like the Comps, different of course but not stand out different. Side walls should look ok together too. I have a mix match on my 96 too now, a Kuhmo on the front 245/45 17 and a Nexen on the rear 275/40 17 on a 10" wide wheel. They actually have varying treads and its low enough where it doesnt stand out too much at all so Im ok with that. I really like the BFGs. I guess I could go with a 245 wide BFG in the front too on the 9". I like the fact of having the little taller tire with a lowered car for wheel gap and also to give just a little more clearance but appear to be lowered still, even if it isnt much or like 1/2". Maybe I should stick with the 275 35 18s in front and the 285 35 18s in back like almost every company sells for their 18" wheel and tire sets. Im gonna measure the 275 40 17s on the back of my 96 on the 10" rears and see what they come out as, I beleive their the same width as the Sumi HTRs so in theory being the same width they should fit like they do on my 96 if I went with the 275 40s on the rear instead of the BFG Comps. Too many options. But yes I will not be putting the BFGs on the front, dont want it too wide for the wheel or too bulging looling.

#144 · (Edited)
A 245 BFG would be either flush or just slightly stretched on a 9" rim. I tried 235 BFGs on a 9" rim and it was too narrow... but still fit. I'd say a 255 would be a better fit on a 9" rim with a BFG. I will say that if you don't mind going 8" up front then you can run the 235/45/18 on the front which is what that is on the blue car.

8" fronts actually are much better on the 94-98 fenders, they don't lip out like 9" rims do. They would tuck a little on a 99-04 but not bad, I mean stock is 8".

TBTH, for the Steeda I think I've finally figured out my wheel/tire combo thanks to threads like this one and Soccer's. SVE Y2K replicas with a 265/40/18 on it. It has 285/35/18 Nittos on it now which are 25.9" tall with no rubbing issues so .4" taller and a touch narrower should have no issues whatsoever.

#145 ·
Yeah I hear ya on the 9" wide on the fronts of the 94-98, I went with a 9" on mine not knowing or thinking about it, does lip out a little but doesnt bother me too bad, I would have went with the 8" if I had known but oh well.

I already have the 18x9s coming for the front of the 03 so they will fit better and its too late anyway, haha. Im gonna look into a 265 40 18 for the front in a Sumi HTRZIII, and probably the BFG Comps in rear with a 275 40 18. Be a little more money than going all Sumi but only around $80-100 more. It will be better than having the tire too narrow on the wheel. AM says the HTRZ III tire is 11.5" wide and fits a 10" wheel, so Ill double check all that before I do anything.

#146 ·
Check out tirerack for actual specs on the widths.

I don't see HTRZ3 tires in 275/40/18 there but I do see the HTRZ2s. Says section is 10.9" and tread is 9.9" for a 275/40/18.

For the BFG Comp 2 you get the same section width of 10.9" but damn near an inch wider on the tread at 10.7" so you get more grip and also don't get that stretched look.

Just remember also that the rim itself for a 9" rim (example) is bigger than 9" wide from outer lip to outer lip. They measure rim width from inner lip to inner lip so you need a section width of about 3/4-1" more than the rim width to be good and then the tread should be pretty close to the section width as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.