Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Project: 03 Silver GT

30K views 619 replies 27 participants last post by  Steve96 
#1 ·
May look at this tomorrow. 76k miles, new tires, shocks, struts, new COPs and plugs, CAI (who cares) and tinted windows. Picture's all look real clean, no winters or rust. Mostly stock which is great. Great price at least around me especially if I can get it closer to $5k. It is an auto though, but J mod, tune, higher stall, nice wheels/tires, lower control arms, subframes, lower it, and it would run really well. Getting ahead of myself. Guy wants rid of it, bought it for his son, not sure what happened there but I dont care if it checks out. Let me know what you think??

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#275 ·
It's sucks brother I feel your pain lol

mine doesn't have all accel COP's ,but it does have one? Could be that or some sort of vacuum leak, mine started acting up once I got the new intake and spark plugs put in but I don't see how that could cause any of the problems were having..

My idle jumps around when I turn on the ac as well, it kinda stopped there for awhile once I unplugged the battery and let it relearn itself .. Still stalled out though when I got on it so idk.. I might try the iac from AM and see if that helps but I feel as if it's gonna be a lost cause....

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#276 ·
Seems to be so many things that can go wrong with the damn idle on these cars now that Ive researched it so much the past few days. I knew all the obvious things to lool for and what they could cause already like IAC, EGR, MAF, TPS, vac leaks, etc etc. I thought one of them would be the issue. Must be a vac leak somewhere Im thinking. I will have to get the codes read and see if there is anything stored? No CEL but I know there still can be codes. Just so many things it could be now after I went after the usual suspects. Like vac issue, COP, PCV, thermostat, alternator (ill have that checked too when i get codes done) the list goes on and on..

#278 ·
Yeah for real, dude. Sucks having a nagging issue, at least yours looks like it will be fixed soonish. Idles on these things suck to get right, lol. The guy I bought it from must have had similar issues becuase he replaced the IAC, EGR, and looks like a newer TPS also. So I took off the new IAC I bought last week because it ran worse with that one, still ran fine until you put the ac or defrost mixed setting on, or gave it like 3/4 throttle or more. The IAC that it came with you can tell is pretty new, it may be like 4 yrs old but he only drove the car like 700 miles in 5 yrs, I think he thought he had it fixed because he probably didn't drive it enough or hard enough either. It idled fine and drove fine when I bought it but it was winter and icey outside so I didnt beat on it real hard just a little and it was fine. Anyway I took off and returned the IAC I bought and have the one it came with on it with the new TPS I bought. Its better now with the ac on, only idles up and down maybe 150-200 rpm, seems like it should now and doesnt do the idle hang then drop or stall as much after a 3/4 or more pull. It still does it enough to be an issue though.

So now Ive done the IAC, idle relearn process, TPS, then idle relearn process again, took off IAC and put old but newish one back on, idle relearn yet again, tracked down all the vac lines and inspected them, sprayed soapy water on them, no bubbles or issues I could tell. Also had cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner when I did the first IAC and TPS. My alternator checks as good with my battery charger that tests the alt, but I dont know how accurate it is? Havent had the codes read yet to see what is stored, I wanted to drive it enough to make sure any codes came back since I reset the computer if that even matters. Also the PCV checks out as good, havent replaced it yet but after taking it out and inspecting it, seems fine. Throttle spring etc seem fine from what I can tell?

Should I try a new EGR? Maybe get one new COP and switch it around to see if I have a bad one, they are the Accel COPs? The battery is brand new in January and also checks as good with my charger/tester. What else could there be? O2 sensors? I guess I need to get the codes read. Maybe I should just invest in a SCT tuner from MPT and get a tune also while Im at it? Didnt plan on getting one yet, but I will be, just was down the list a ways on my mod want to do list, and didnt know if I would be getting that this year or not really due to budget. But I want something to scan with and makes sense to just get what I will need in the future now instead of buying a OBD2 scanner and then getting a tuner later on. Anyway, any suggestions on what I should try next?

Also does the TPS need to set for these years? From what I can find that was the 5.0s that needed it to be set. Stupid idle issue!

#280 ·
Thats what I thought, is that it didnt have to be set like the other ones

#282 ·
So I was able to get it fixed, it was the damn IAC after all. I took the IAC off of my 96 GT, even though its a different one that is supposed to go on the 03. It works perfect, no more hanging idle, no more stalling when you stop after a 3/4 throttle pull, just a slight fluctuation in rpms with ac or defrost setting on like they all tend to do. So Ill be ordering a motorcraft IAC to put on one of them, hopefully that one will be good. I think a lot of people have such issues with the idle stuff because of crap aftermarket autoparts stores junk.

#283 ·
The longer I work with these cars the more I stick with OEM stuff.

#288 ·
I have one from a 96 GT on my 03 and it runs great and its 20 yrs old, so yeah I would say it will work it did for me. Then to replace the one on my 96 I got one from a 96 Grand Marquis and it works great also. They both run and idle perfectly. The only difference between the 2 is the older IAC has a breather vent cap on it and the 02 and up ones dont. Its funny a 20 yr old junkyard part works when a new aftermarket one wont, lol.

#292 ·
Painted the center caps of the wheels on my 96 the other day. They are OE brand wheels and had an ugly center cap. Not a big deal or challenge but they came out good and it was free! Actually changed the look of the car a little bit to me, Ill get a side shot later on. Small stuff is fun sometimes and satisfying especially if you dont spend too much money.

On the O3 Ill be painting the calipers verse ordering the caliper covers like I did on my 96 GT. Also will be painting the rotor hub (not sure of the technical term right now) on both of the cars. I love it when wheels are clean, fresh painted brakes, etc, looks so good to have those little touches done to me.

Attachments

#293 ·
Just ordered my lowering springs for the 03 today. I ended up going with the SR springs from AM. Hopefully they get the shipping right. I didnt want to use them after the last debacle but I really couldnt find springs with a 1.5" drop any lower in price with free shipping, and seemed to be of good quality. Anyway Ill be installing them with a friend when they come in along with new Moog ball joints as well. I will be installing without isos, so hoping for and should be close to a 1.7" drop. Will wrap top and bottom coils with elec tape to reduce any noise issues.

Now Im shopping for some good paint for the calipers, as I will also be finanly ordering my tires later this week as well so I can have the new wheels, tires, lowered, painted brakes, and get some things checked off the list now that its running perfect and I knocked out most of the detailing and small issues.

#294 ·
I will be also repainting some interior peices as well soon with the duplicolor interior vinyl paint. Going to do the bezel around the radio and the door handle pull/inserts. Their slightly worn/chipped, this is all I need interior wise to be satisfied the rest of it is really clean and no issues luckily. I will add a double din headunit most likely next year and focus on the rest of the sound system. Want this car to be as comfortable as it can be, so some new tech, bluetooth, etc will be nice for DD in the spring/summer.

#295 ·
I'd do the SEM interior dye vs duplicolor... True black is their Landau Black. The charcoal... I have to get the name on the can I have at home.

#298 ·
I will take a look at them and yeah its the charcoal on the 03, but I need the black for the 96 to do the same areas. Thanks!

#299 ·
I got the same SR springs still waiting to get installed, I m waiting for my CC to arrive with 15months 0% intrest and I ll order my front struts and maybe order a mid pipe at the same time I m not sure which one to go with yet but I think if my isolators still look ok I will leave them on with the new springs for a drop of 1.5"

Sent from my SM-G920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#300 ·
Im hoping to have mine on and rolling in the next 2 weeks or so. I got new ball joints coming, and Im going without isos and will wrap the ends with elec tape. Hoping for a 1.7-1.75" drop doing it this way. Im gonna take mine to the same shop that aligned my 96 and see if they can work their magic (my 96 was very, very, close to spec without adjusting the plates when I lowered it with H&R Supersports) so gonna gamble it can be made close to spec. If not Ill order a set of MM plates, have a guy on the Corral Ive been talking to that has a lightly used set for $100 plus shipping costs I may spring for, or just order new ones if they dont check out or are sold then. Ill be out $50 for another alignment if it doesnt work out tho. I also just ordered my tires for the MMD wheels I got a while back. Hoping to have it dropped, new staggered 18s on it, all around the same time. Then Ill move onto painting the calipers unless I have time to do it agter the spring install. Gonna do a little interior work too soon on some slightly worn panels to make my interior 100% mint on the 03. Hopefully will be adding the off road H pipe within the next 2 mths as well. After all this I will be probably done for this season. If I feel like pushing the budget Ill get a tuner as well from MPT or Bama too before the summer is over. I would love to do gears this summer but probably wont happen, we will see, if so then, all I would be adding probably over the winter would be a TB/plenum (TFS Summit), J mod next spring (still dont have the courage for this mod DIY), subframes, and LCAs in the spring as well. With all that I will be happy with it for a while Im sure. I will also be adding some small things this year too like Mach 1 chin spoiler, OEM correct smoked headlights (has new clear ones on it now that I will sell), and a honeycomb deck lid panel or a black one of some sort, maybe dip it or try too anyway.

Hopefully you get those springs on soon! I hope I like them. Decided not to go to agressive with the drop since I will be driving this car as much as I can in the summers. Ill be happy with a 1.7" drop, and 18" wheels.

#301 ·
Ordered new Nokya Hyper yellow fog light bulbs for the 03 to match my 96s. They are really a good foglight bulb and only $16 with shipping thru Amazon. Just thought Id mention this tid bit.

#303 ·
In the next couple weeks Ill be ordering a Mach 1 chin, off road H pipe, caliper paint, interior paint. Then lastly this year Ill try to get a tune as well, probably just go with Bama since its the best priced and they will send updated tunes when I add things. I wont be doing any crazy mods anytime soon so it should hold me over a couple years if and when things get serious power wise. I wish I could load tunes for 2 Mustangs on one Tuner, that would be awesome, is there a way to do this?? I assume you could get a tune for one, install it, un marry the tuner and get a tune for the other car that you will be adding more to in the future. Would like to get a good 93 tune for my 96, load it, leave it that way, then get the tuner set up for my 03 that I will be doing more mods too in the future. Either one of them if FI is installed at any point then it would be getting a dyno tune from Lidio at Alternative Performance which is about a 45 min drive from me currently.

#306 ·
So it can be done though? I would only do it once, to tune the 96 with 93 octane, then un marry it and use it on the 03 only at that point. Does that mess with your Bama tunes for life? If you unmarry the original var you had tuned?

#307 ·
Thats the plan Im hoping for. Actually will be doing some work on the 96 soon too, repainting a couple interior peices, fixing a spot on the leather passenger seat (still researching as how to dye it in one spot only), then maybe finding a good deal on a new or used headunit as the JVC in the 96 is dated and it has a blown channel I think, all speakers work and sound good, except for the passenger side rear. All wires are good, fuses are good, reset the radio, unhooked, rehooked, etc and still wont power that speaker, its annoying as hell.

#308 · (Edited)
Listed my OEM wheels and tires Wed night, and had them sold by Thursday afternoon. He drove 4 hrs to look at them so I didnt make him wait until next week when I get my tires shipped in for the 18s and mounted, installed, so he wouldnt have to make that drive again. He was a really nice guy, just getting into Mustangs, think I made a new friend, lol. Anyway sold them for $450, listed them at $500. The tires alone were worth that as they are $169 each on Amazon and had maybe, maybe 1k miles on them now. Anyway he got a good deal and the OEM Bullits were in pretty good shape, with minor flaws as any wheels will have but for 13 yrs old and 75k miles they are nice. He didnt need the wheels but he will sell the ones off his car as mine were nicer or he will use snow tires on them or something.

But its on stands for now. Had to rush out and borrow a set, and buy a set, was cheap though. Looking at how hard it would be to install the new lowering springs and it doesnt look bad at all with the wheels off now. The shocks and struts still look brand new, no leaks, and have about 1k miles on them so they should last me a couple seasons anyway. The SR springs came today from AM, man there shipping is quick to my location. I may attempt the rear springs this coming Wed without my buddy here to get a head start on them. I will also be painting the calipers and rotor hubs too on Wed so when the new wheels and tires go on they wont need to come off for a while at least. Be nice to finanly have it lowered, staggered 18s on it, freshly painted brakes, and I will be cleaning and painting quite a few items under the car while I have access to it for a while now while its on stands. Cant wait to have some progress on this thing finanly, now that the idle issue is fixed.

Attachments

#309 ·
Also clay barred it on Wed afternoon and put a nice even coat of Meguirers carnuba on it too. My arm hurts still.

In the next week I will ordering a set of smoked (OE style) headlight housings and installing those too. In about 2 to 3 weeks (buddies help permitting) at the most it should look like a different car to me at least. Then its on to a mid pipe and possibly a tune/tuner his summer.

#310 ·
Lucky. I've been trying to sell my OEM wheels and tires for less than that and have not had any bites at all.

Rear springs are super easy. Took a while my first time, but now i could do both sides in 30 minutes, including jacking up the car.

#311 ·
Also in the pic it looks unlevel but its not, just the angle of the pic. I have a jack stand on each side of the front where the jack goes, and then I have my 2 stock small jacks that came with my cars under the front as well, placed under a solid peice of frame, just slight pressure to make them even with the jack stand height. In the rear I have a stand on each side where the jack would be positioned, and my small floor jack under the rearend (cant see it in the pic, too far underneath the car). The one jack in the rear wheel well is just sitting there I had 5 jack stands and that was the odd ball, it looks like its being used but its not. First time for me having the entire car up in the air with no wheels on it, ready to work on it, so I wanted it to be safe. I dont love being under or near under cars on jacks or jack stands. Its very, very stable though and isnt going anywhere. Im probably more suited for ramps with my paranoia and anxiety issues, ha.

Anyway just thought I would point out how its sitting now and make sure there isnt a better way to let it sit like this for work if anyone had any suggestions on how to make it safer or easier?

Attachments

#318 ·
Makes sense, and I will, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.